U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 07:06 AM

836 posts, read 1,126,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not true. At all. If it were true, the numbers in the cited document would be drastically different:

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/198157.pdf
Once again, those are refugee statistics. Not asylum stats. They include petitions for family members who may not actually be refugees/asylees themselves. Once you've been granted asylum or refugee status, any immediately relatives can join you. You're from China and you get granted asylum. You are now allowed to submit a petition for your wife and 6 children who live in England.

The distinction is important because the Central Americans are not arriving in the US on refugee travel documents. They're showing up at the Mexican border and entering without an inspection.

You need stats on all forms of relief from deportation that is granted from within the US.

That would include Temporary Protected Status, NACARA, the ABC lawsuit, etc. Broaden your mind in terms of what is considered relief from deportation, review cold war history, and you'll see that the US has always granted some form of relief to the citizens of countries whose government we've meddled with. Specifically, I am referring to Honduras, El Salvador, Cuba, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Panama and Vietnam.

Currently, it's Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Syria and Iran. For a time, it was all over the news that the US was leaving its translators high and dry in these areas. If I recall correctly, there were websites reporting up to 1,000,000 translators. Which of course, is simply not true, even if each military member had their own personal translator (which they do not).

Regardless, there are only so many translator visas available. What is the US to do? For each translator that worked for them, their entire family is at risk. Parents, children and siblings are threatened because of the work being done on behalf of the U.S. Those who threaten don't view it as beneficial to themselves to be able to communicate with a foreigner. They can't process them all as refugees because that would soak up refugee visas from other parts of the world.

So they send them to Istanbul, UAE, where ever. They grant them a non-immigrant visa, knowing full and well they don't intend to just visit, work, or go to school. They enter the US and file an asylum application, which will be approved.

My point is this:

There is a reason why it's in the news that there's a back log of years in immigration courts. Refugee processing is a controlled entry with set numbers and criteria. Relief from deportation is not controlled by number while the criteria is so vast and varied that it's essentially uncontrolled as well.

Toss in the amount of discretion an immigration judge has to get a file off his/her docket, (which includes being able to reverse a deportation order issued years ago, upheld by a federal court and the person still refuses to leave while no one wants to spend money to find and remove them) you might be able to understand why I don't think the truth lies in Refugee statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 08:58 AM

62,391 posts, read 27,771,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay662000 View Post
Once again, those are refugee statistics. Not asylum stats.
What part of the following do you not understand?

Quote:
Asylum

Asylum status is a form of protection available to people who:

Meet the definition of refugee
Refugees & Asylum | USCIS

Old 07-20-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
What part of the following do you not understand?

Refugees & Asylum | USCIS
What part of being inside or outside the US don't you understand?

When you're outside the US, you get issued a refugee visa allocated by numbers. When you're inside the US, you get granted asylum. No visa. No number.

The definition for asylee and refugee is the same but for location.

There is no limit for asylum grants or asylum based green cards.

There is a limit for refugee based entrants.

Asylees do not enter as refugees. They enter as a non-immigrant or without inspection.

Because they do not enter as refugees, they do not use a visa number allocated for refugees.

INA section 207, 208 and 209. Read it. Study it. Come to grips with it. Move on.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:33 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,893,919 times
Quote:

When you're outside the US, you get issued a refugee visa allocated by numbers. When you're inside the US, you get granted asylum. No visa. No number.

The definition for asylee and refugee is the same but for location.

There is no limit for asylum grants or asylum based green cards.

There is a limit for refugee based entrants.

Asylees do not enter as refugees. They enter as a non-immigrant or without inspection.

Because they do not enter as refugees, they do not use a visa number allocated for refugees.

INA section 207, 208 and 209. Read it. Study it. Come to grips with it. Move on.
I think it's lost on deaf ears.
And our government officials and MSM only serve to obfuscate the terms rather than clarify the terms.

You have everybody citing this 2008 law regarding child trafficking which involves abduction from their home country against their will.
I do not see how that law applies to these illegal minors. Yet you have Congress bickering over changing it..but for what reason ?
All I read is that they are escaping violence. I have not read that they were kidnapped.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And our government officials and MSM only serve to obfuscate the terms rather than clarify the terms.

You have everybody citing this 2008 law regarding child trafficking which involves abduction from their home country against their will.
I do not see how that law applies to these illegal minors. Yet you have Congress bickering over changing it..but for what reason ?
All I read is that they are escaping violence. I have not read that they were kidnapped.
No one in their politically correct mind would ever say that perhaps although they're called children here, where they're from, they're adults.

Certainly, protect the women and children at all costs. No matter the level of fraud and abuse that occurs. If we save one child who was abused or one woman who was battered, that alone with worth the cost of granting protected status to the 50,000 others who committed fraud on their application.

But to be perfectly honest, I have not researched or dealt with the particulars of the 2008 law you're speaking of.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Doesn't matter. Both are refugees. According to the USCIS, asylees must meet the definition of refugee, or they don't qualify for asylum. Period.
Quote:
Asylum

Asylum status is a form of protection available to people who:

Meet the definition of refugee
http://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/refugees-asylum

Old 07-20-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Are you qualified to contradict the USCIS? No, you aren't.

Enough said.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:02 AM

31,488 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
No one in their politically correct mind would ever say that perhaps although they're called children here, where they're from, they're adults.

Certainly, protect the women and children at all costs. No matter the level of fraud and abuse that occurs. If we save one child who was abused or one woman who was battered, that alone with worth the cost of granting protected status to the 50,000 others who committed fraud on their application.

But to be perfectly honest, I have not researched or dealt with the particulars of the 2008 law you're speaking of.
I totally disagree with your second paragraph.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:05 AM

Further clarification...
Quote:
ASYLEES

Filing of Claims

Generally, any alien present in the United States or arriving at a port of entry may apply for asylum
http://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/fil...fa_fr_2012.pdf

To recap...

1) Assylees must meet the definition of refugee.

2) Asylees may already be present in the U.S. OR may be arriving at a port of entry into the country.

Please stop spreading false information.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:36 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,893,919 times
Quote:
Are you qualified to contradict the USCIS? No, you aren't.

Enough said.
The State Dept defines the countries and the yearly allocations.
None of the central American countries are on the State Dept list.

FY13 Refugee Admissions Statistics

You are not looking at the entire picture here.
USCIS is not the sole agency involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or