U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 12:45 PM

11,878 posts, read 32,983,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
Most of the people who are trying to 'make the most hay' off the issues might be Republicans, but it's a stretch to say most of the people trying to fix the various problems are Republicans...

Close examination of roll call votes doesn't support that contention, ......often, as is demonstrated here, it's the Republicans who blocked an attempt to 'fix' a problem....

There are plenty of well-intentioned Democrats working to fix the various problems with reforming our immigration policies, as well as some well intentioned Republicans.

I'm not sure you can say 'most' on either side have much interest either way.

There's a difference between Democrats and Republicans that should be apparent to anyone who pays even a little bit of attention, and that is that Republicans are most apt to take a very vocal united party-line stance on an issue whether they agree or not, and ultimately, whether they end up voting that party line or not, they still want to appear to be following the party line, so their rhetoric is often not matched by their actions.

On the other hand, the Democrats are not so inclined to all voice the same party line and consequently, they don't have quite so much conflict to address if they don't vote that party line. They hadn't necessarily ever said they'd toe the line in the first place, so the level of real or imagined hypocrisy in their rhetoric isn't really equally comparable.

Are there good ones and bad ones on both sides of the aisle? Sure there are, but on neither side, do those voices necessarily get much exposure in the press or the media.

Do we address that in many dialogues? ...not very often, .....most of the time people discussing the issues are spouting generalizations, and most of the time people tend not to allow for acknowledgement that generalizations are inherently erroneous and often purposely misleading.
That is a very subjective opinion. IMO, both the Republicans and Democrats are to blame for allowing this problem to escalate to the level that it has. However, my original statement stands; the Republicans have historically been more against illegal immigration than the Democrats. However, they have let me down more than the Democrats because they "were" my party but that is no longer - overall, they tend to represent big business more than anything else, while the Democrats seek power by handing out "freebies" to the poor and minorities in hopes of buying votes that way. They are two extreme versions of each other; both corrupt to the core.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 02:25 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,701,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
That is a very subjective opinion. IMO, both the Republicans and Democrats are to blame for allowing this problem to escalate to the level that it has. However, my original statement stands; the Republicans have historically been more against illegal immigration than the Democrats. However, they have let me down more than the Democrats because they "were" my party but that is no longer - overall, they tend to represent big business more than anything else, while the Democrats seek power by handing out "freebies" to the poor and minorities in hopes of buying votes that way. They are two extreme versions of each other; both corrupt to the core.
More and more; one of the parties may wind up splitting apart.

Myself; I am a 'Republican', but on the moderate wing-------very close ideologically to a mainstream Democrat.

I see little difference between a Bleeding Heart or a Neo-con-------both would sell out the little guy if it suited their purposes.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:50 PM

1,252 posts, read 729,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
More and more; one of the parties may wind up splitting apart.

Myself; I am a 'Republican', but on the moderate wing-------very close ideologically to a mainstream Democrat.

I see little difference between a Bleeding Heart or a Neo-con-------both would sell out the little guy if it suited their purposes.
I would imagine that presents a bit of a quandary to you then, because moderate Republicans and mainstream Democrats both sell out the little guy regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or