Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 04:01 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,046,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
How does she manage to slip the amendment into a House bill, when she is in the Senate?
The final version of the bill is described by both House numbers and Senate numbers at various times.

When a bill passes, amendments can be included that originated in either the Senate or the House version as it progresses through Congress.

Some bills go to the House first, some to the Senate first.

When a compromise is reached, the bill will likely, (as is the case with this bill), contain provisions originating in both Houses.

That is how a Republican Senate amendment can be a part of a bill voted on in the House.

This text of HR 2764 was amended by the Senate and approved by the Senate after a conference committee that worked out differences between the Senate and House versions of the bill.

The House passed what the Senate sent to them.

Hutchison amended the bill, and Republicans supported the amendment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 04:53 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,507,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
No bush and his 6 year rubber stamped republican dominated House were together ineffective on the issue. I don’t see how it is now the fault of the dems who only have a slim lead and only in “symbolic” control for the last year.
I'm talking about in the last 6 months to a year. When the **** has hit the fan so to speak. When we Americans called and stopped that looser bill that would give amnesty last summer. Since that time Republican representatives and senators have been listening. 90% of new legistation on state level is being brought by Republicans not Democrats. The Democrats and Mr. Bush have not gotten it.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
I'm talking about in the last 6 months to a year. When the **** has hit the fan so to speak. When we Americans called and stopped that looser bill that would give amnesty last summer. Since that time Republican representatives and senators have been listening. 90% of new legistation on state level is being brought by Republicans not Democrats. The Democrats and Mr. Bush have not gotten it.
That brush you're painting with is so wide as to make any sense out of the matter very difficult.

The thread title is calling attention to a false accusation to start with, and you're talking about legislation on the state level.

You haven't indicated all the states and all such action.

As to saying Bush 'hasn't gotten it', that may be, but all Democrats are not allied on the issues, so it's unclear exactly to whom you do refer.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:41 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,366,956 times
Quote:
In other words you’re selectively choosing to not look back when this was an issue during the republican controlled legislature and executive branch and narrow the scope so only the democrats look bad. Ok, I see the prism you wish to view issues through now.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:07 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
If only Duncan Hunter told you the truth about who proposed the amendment that screwed up your fence.

The problem arises when one believes whatever is told to you by some politician or 'other'.......

Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison, a Republican from Texas slipped the amendment into the funding bill.

Hunter says that because the Democratic controlled Congress passed a massive Omnibus funding bill of which the fence was just a very small part, that the changes to the funding of the fence is a Democratic conspiracy to stab fence supporters in the back.

Truth is, the Texas Republican Hutchison is responsible for the amendment, and Republicans approved the amendment.

Try fact checking the Congressional Record next time Duncan Hunter tells you something.

He's out to save his own neck, ....the truth doesn't enter into his mind when he goes about it.

By my count, starting with the Capn, each of you got played by Hunter.
I was thinking those very same thoughts as I read this. I live in Texas, and Kay Bailey Hutchison IS one of our biggest problems. It comes from all sides folks. I agree, most of the people who are attempting to fix this problem ARE Republicans, but there are A LOT of Republicans who are causing problems as well. And I'm a conservative, although I don't call myself Republican anymore; they are as sham, as well as most of the Democrats.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:30 PM

Don't be a horses ass folks. The subject is about current events not the last 6 years. If you don't want to admit the truth that's your choice but most of us that follow the immigration events closely know who's doing what on the immigration front. And let me tell you the Democrats aren't doing anything but blocking the way 90% of the time.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:02 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
You have to be kidding me! Do you REALLY think the Republicans are going to **** off their friends in big business just to make the immigrant bashers happy? You had better talk to Senators Lindsay Graham and John McCain!

Old 12-22-2007, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
most of the people who are attempting to fix this problem ARE Republicans,
Most of the people who are trying to 'make the most hay' off the issues might be Republicans, but it's a stretch to say most of the people trying to fix the various problems are Republicans...

Close examination of roll call votes doesn't support that contention, ......often, as is demonstrated here, it's the Republicans who blocked an attempt to 'fix' a problem....

There are plenty of well-intentioned Democrats working to fix the various problems with reforming our immigration policies, as well as some well intentioned Republicans.

I'm not sure you can say 'most' on either side have much interest either way.

There's a difference between Democrats and Republicans that should be apparent to anyone who pays even a little bit of attention, and that is that Republicans are most apt to take a very vocal united party-line stance on an issue whether they agree or not, and ultimately, whether they end up voting that party line or not, they still want to appear to be following the party line, so their rhetoric is often not matched by their actions.

On the other hand, the Democrats are not so inclined to all voice the same party line and consequently, they don't have quite so much conflict to address if they don't vote that party line. They hadn't necessarily ever said they'd toe the line in the first place, so the level of real or imagined hypocrisy in their rhetoric isn't really equally comparable.

Are there good ones and bad ones on both sides of the aisle? Sure there are, but on neither side, do those voices necessarily get much exposure in the press or the media.

Do we address that in many dialogues? ...not very often, .....most of the time people discussing the issues are spouting generalizations, and most of the time people tend not to allow for acknowledgement that generalizations are inherently erroneous and often purposely misleading.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Don't be a horses ass folks.
Don't be a horse's ass, or don't bother to look at reality, because the reality doesn't fit the narrative and without the false facts in the narrative, the narrative falls apart?

Is that what you mean by 'don't be a horse's ass?

I'd guess if you've been being played for years and years on end in the same manner, you might be at some risk you mention if you don't start paying attention to the reality.....

Old 12-22-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
Don't be a horse's ass, or don't bother to look at reality, because the reality doesn't fit the narrative and without the false facts in the narrative, the narrative falls apart?

Is that what you mean by 'don't be a horse's ass?

I'd guess if you've been being played for years and years on end in the same manner, you might be at some risk you mention if you don't start paying attention to the reality.....
Maybe you haven't been watching but some sort of legistation pertaining to illegal immigration has been considered in many states in the country this last year. And it's being brought forth by Republicans in nearly every case. They ARE hearing the people even though the Bush administration isn't. That's the reality.

I am not naive. I do not blindly endorse all Republicans like McCain, Guiliani or Huckabee. Those candidates are not strong on the issue nor do I trust them on it. Yet we do have Republicans like Thompson, Tancredo (who dropped out), Hunter and Romney that stand strong on illegal immigration. That's a whole lot more choice than the big zero on the Democrat ticket - they want a path to citizenship - can you say amnesty? It's the Democrat's weakest link this coming election. They need to wise up if they want a chance at the office. The majority of American citizens don't want amnesty and illegal immigration is going to be one of the hottest issues in this election.

Again, many Republican state senators and representatives are kicking ass on the issue. Just about every time you see an interview with one of these folks on TV there is a (R) after their name. They are Republicans! Watch Lou Dobbs, CNN for a few weeks and you will see. By the way, Dobbs is an independant, he is not supporting either party. The fact is conservatives are tougher on the issue. Most liberals want to give amnesty and more entitlements. That's reality my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration