U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 09:43 PM

232 posts, read 277,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Some points: my wife's family had Land Grant Number 1 at Jamestown. My family lived in Nacogdoches, TX before Texas was the Republic of Texas. Some of my early grandparents were Creek and Cherokee. This is the typical mix of early Texans.

The border was relatively open until the Mexican Revolution spilled across the border. And even later, people came and went across the border,until the 1980's when the first surge of illegals hit, putting citizens out of work in areas like home building.

Now, less than 50% of US citizens can find jobs. The only way the unemployment rate is low is by the govt taking people artificially out of the job market.

We cannot keep taking everyone in. Just a fact. Doesn't matter if you are from Canada or Mexico. The answer should be NO until he economy REALLY recovers and the citizens who need jobs can actually get them.

Put the National Guard on the border and stop crossings.
In a way I do agree with what you are stating, but are you in support of stopping immigration completely? I am not against securing the border, but at the same time I am not against blocking immigration completely (there are plenty of people who are in support of blocking immigration completely)

...and yes I do support giving the economy time to recover, many parts of the country are recovering at different rates, some states are recovering rapidly and others are hardly seeing any success...)

Old 07-21-2014, 09:44 PM

6,195 posts, read 9,526,502 times
How's Goodhair gonna justify calling up the guard against the illegals when he openly supports giving them handouts like in-state tuition? The guy's a shameless huckster who'll do anything for a vote.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:48 PM

232 posts, read 277,601 times
Well, thank you all for your views on this sensitive topic, I was just interested in what others believe about the whole debate, and I really appreciate you guys taking time to discuss your views! ☺

Old 07-23-2014, 08:14 AM

16,724 posts, read 13,789,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan1010 View Post
If this is what you meant
Just to be clear, you are stating that ...if people do not follow the "right and legal thing" they should not be here, correct?

If you did not mean ^
...because if that is not the case, you just stated something that would contradict your existence in this country.

Just to be clear, all the people like me who "are/were stealing from" others, those people who we are/were "stealing" from are also descendants of immigrants... unless they are one of the few Native Americans that survived the dramatic change in America, or who knows, they might be one of those rare Anglo-Saxon Americans who were here before all the Native Americans.
That is exactly what I said. I am here legally, and apparently, you are not. And stop using the Native Americans to make yourself feel better about being a thief and a criminal.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:03 PM

11,619 posts, read 5,581,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
That is exactly what I said. I am here legally, and apparently, you are not. And stop using the Native Americans to make yourself feel better about being a thief and a criminal.
Thank you, convextech, for the great posts in this thread. If I could rep you, I would!

I'm half-Hispanic. My father was born in Puerto Rico and raised in New York. He's a World War II vet who saw action at D-Day.

As soon as the OP mentioned that his mother came here illegally, the rest of his post was irrelevant. Like most illegal aliens, he bends over backwards to try to convince us all that, gosh darn it! they are good law-abiding people. I mean, he never used social services or hospitals and healed themselves when they were sick. And we're supposed to read this and say how wonderful his family is

Well...there are plenty of criminals who have been on the lam for years and when they're caught, they, too, whine about how they lived such wonderful, upstanding lives while they were fugitives and we should just amnesty them for their crime. Same idea with the OP.

His family had no right to come here illegally and what ever gains they made, they were ill-gotten. If his mother had so much as a shred of decency in her, she would go back to Guatemala NOW.

Since life in Guatemala isn't all "rainbows and butterflies", then whose fault is that? It's not the fault of the US. It's the fault of the Guatemalans. In the past, those who came legally to America worked to make this country the place that it is. Some of my ancestors were slaves who were forcibly brought to The New World. Slaves, too, worked hard to make this country great. Yet the Guatemalans refuse to work to make their country a better place and use this excuse to come here illegally and leach off the gains of others. BTW, it's not just Guatemalans---it's other illegals from different countries who need to make their own countries better.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:53 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,378,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan1010 View Post
Well I don't believe anyone owes me or any other individual anything, whenever my family moved into the U.S. they did not really receive assistance from anyone, they came with the little money they had, bought their own food, and they did not even go to the doctor for any injuries, if you had an injury, you would find a way to cure yourself (and in Central America there is tons of natural remedies which my family still uses up until this day)

So... why do you think that I believe you owe me something?

...btw unless you are Native American, you are also from an immigrant family (not to be rude, but some people deny the fact that they would not be here without immigration, like I said once, Native Americans would be the only ones that can claim they are not immigrants)
Please stop using "native American" thing as a reason to allow illegal aliens to stay in the US. If an Inca from Peru tried THAT excuse in Mexico; he'd be locked up and THEN deported because under Mexican law, that dude'd be an illegal alien.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:07 PM

673 posts, read 555,159 times
Default touchy? you bet!

Well, Texan1010, this IS a "touchy" subject...when you look at the data, and observe the high numbers of illegal aliens on assistance, and economists have projected the trillions of dollars it will take to care for a huge majority of these people for the rest of their lives.

It IS a "touchy" subject when "free clinics" are set up, using our tax dollars, for these illegals (while at the same time, refusing to treat a LEGAL, ill citizen...saw it with my own eyes. )

Also, overburdening our education system, as well as non-"means-tested" abstracts like extra police reinforcements, firefighters, road and bridge repair, and I could go on and on.

There have been many articles/data posted on other threads, so I won't reiterate. But the amount of money, resources, and efforts is way beyond what we both should be doing, and realistically, can't afford to do.

The bottom line is that we Americans (who either are here legally, or who came from forefathers who came here legally) are over-burdened, over-taxed, under-employed, and TIRED of it all!

I was watching the news tonight...the recent influx of "kids" and adults (you know, those "boys" who look like they're a few years over 18, with gang tats and all) has cost us over $100,000,0000 in the past 2 months alone!!! It was appalling, also, to hear that those kids who illegally crossed over our border without a parent, are being sent to family members here, who are illegals, too!!! DHS knows about this...What the heck???

Oh, and the real clincher was when some of these illegals were interviewed and asked why were they all coming at once? Well, apparently it was on the news in their home countries, as well as word-of-mouth that the US was giving "permissos", permission for kids and mothers with kids to stay. When pressed further as to why they came here, they replied that they wanted help with houses, food, and medical care! The nerve to think America is going to pay to take care of the world!!!

Hmmm...quite a big difference in attitude as compared to the LEGAL immigration wave of the late 1800's early 1900's. That particular group wanted to give back, in gratitude to their new country, and build it up, not take from it!

I say secure the border immediately (several Governors are complaining to the "O" admin about that right now, according to tonight's news), and send these illegals and criminals back.

Then, the only people we should allow in, LEGALLY, are those already with an education, a substantial bank account, a sponsor, and a job-in-waiting.

That is the only type of immigration this tax-payer is willing to support!
-Dandiday

Old 07-24-2014, 04:41 AM

17,547 posts, read 34,784,739 times
Hello everyone. I think I fixed the broken quote tags in this thread so everyone's statements are properly attributed. Let me know by DM if I'm wrong.

BE VERY CAREFUL if you go in and shorten a post you are quoting, that you DO NOT disturb ANYTHING within the brackets
[ ] at either end of the quoted post. If you do, it improperly displays the quote with a broken quote tag as the thread progresses and other people quote, and we end up with it looking like someone said something that in fact someone else said.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:28 AM

5,476 posts, read 4,616,267 times
I wonder if the OP realizes that the jobs his "hardworking family" performed could have been jobs for American citizens. The education he is so proud of them receiving was actually paid for by taxes from American citizens.

I don't understand the entitlement mentality of illegals. It's like they think we owe it to them to come here because our country is better than theirs. There are many people in this world that are better off than me. Does that mean I can enter their home and take what they have? In essence, that is what the illegals are doing to our country.

Like the OP, a lot of the pro amnesty folks are anchor babies, wanting their illegal parents given amnesty. They will try to justify their parents criminal act by bringing up the early settlers to this country or the wave of immigrants at the turn of the century. The bottom line is they have no respect for the law or the citizens of this country. Their own personal agenda is the only thing that matters to them.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:10 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,378,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Hello everyone. I think I fixed the broken quote tags in this thread so everyone's statements are properly attributed. Let me know by DM if I'm wrong.

BE VERY CAREFUL if you go in and shorten a post you are quoting, that you DO NOT disturb ANYTHING within the brackets
[ ] at either end of the quoted post. If you do, it improperly displays the quote with a broken quote tag as the thread progresses and other people quote, and we end up with it looking like someone said something that in fact someone else said.
Thanks. This thread was def messed up like you said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or