U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 11:38 PM

232 posts, read 275,823 times

Advertisements

I am just curious about what people believe when it comes to this touchy topic.

First off I want to start off by stating that I am a Hispanic Conservative, and if my mother (who came here illegally) along with her sisters, would not have gotten into the U.S.A., my family would still be living in a rural part of Guatemala where crime is high, and life isn't exactly rainbows and butterflies.

Ever since my extended family has moved into this marvelous c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶r̶y̶ state, my family has worked their way up by getting an education and putting effort into their jobs, and since my family members put effort into life (in general), they now reap their rewards thanks to their effort in getting educated and acquiring jobs.

Extensive rant about my extended family (Sorry for bragging, I can't help it >_<) ALERT: off-topic!!!
So far all of my cousins have either graduated valedictorian of their schools, or they have graduated to where they were in the top ten (rank) of their graduating class. Three of my cousins have acquired jobs in the educational field and one of them is still prolonging their education in order to be able to teach at a University, another cousin who just graduated has plans on becoming a doctor, and she got accepted into all her colleges, I am still deciding on what job I would like to acquire (btw I am a Senior) and I am stuck in between the following (I know this is off topic: not my fault you did not notice the letters in bold) becoming an architect, working as a real estate agent, or hotel management, I am also considering starting my own business and it may be any of the following: starting an architecture firm, starting a real estate company, or running my own hotel chain. So the reason for posting this ^ is to demonstrate that my family isn't exactly lazy, we are the complete opposite, you work your butt off to achieve your goals, no excuses...so going back to the topic...

I do believe that people should have the right to come into this country ...if they are willing to work hard, pursue an education, and put effort into their jobs, again we all know that this country is made up of immigrants. Now when I say we should allow people into the country, I am not proposing an open-door policy like some people want, mass immigration will and can damage a country's economy (especially if the economy isn't stable) and if all immigrants become citizens at once, of course the poverty rate will rise, and so will the amount of those whom are uneducated, so I am not supporting the side that claims all immigrants should be allowed to become citizens (at once, or at a rapid rate), but I neither support those who believe stopping immigration completely is a resolution, because again this country is made of up of immigrants, and blocking off immigration completely is also unhealthy for an economy (as much as most people don't want to admit this, immigrants are willing to do jobs others would not do, so making a huge wall at the border and stopping immigration completely is, again, not really smart because people will find other ways to get in and unhealthy for the economy if there is a way to stop immigration completely)

sorry for the extensive rant and being repetitive... again I have no idea why I respond to forums/post threads at around 12:30 in the morning...

Old 07-21-2014, 09:13 AM

76 posts, read 194,273 times
With the current economic conditions in this country, it would be in the U.S.A.'s best interest to buy them all plane tickets and send them home. No country can survive with an open border.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:34 AM

9,191 posts, read 18,516,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan1010 View Post

First off I want to start off by stating that I am a Hispanic Conservative, and if my mother (who came here illegally) along with her sisters, would not have gotten into the U.S.A., my family would still be living in a rural part of Guatemala where crime is high, and life isn't exactly rainbows and butterflies.

Ever since my extended family has moved into this marvelous c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶r̶y̶ state, my family has worked their way up by getting an education and putting effort into their jobs, and since my family members put effort into life (in general), they now reap their rewards thanks to their effort in getting educated and acquiring jobs.

Extensive rant about my extended family (Sorry for bragging, I can't help it >_<) ALERT: off-topic!!!
So far all of my cousins have either graduated valedictorian of their schools, or they have graduated to where they were in the top ten (rank) of their graduating class. Three of my cousins have acquired jobs in the educational field and one of them is still prolonging their education in order to be able to teach at a University, another cousin who just graduated has plans on becoming a doctor, and she got accepted into all her colleges, I am still deciding on what job I would like to acquire (btw I am a Senior) and I am stuck in between the following (I know this is off topic: not my fault you did not notice the letters in bold) becoming an architect, working as a real estate agent, or hotel management, I am also considering starting my own business and it may be any of the following: starting an architecture firm, starting a real estate company, or running my own hotel chain. So the reason for posting this ^ is to demonstrate that my family isn't exactly lazy, we are the complete opposite, you work your butt off to achieve your goals, no excuses...so going back to the topic...

I do believe that people should have the right to come into this country ...if they are willing to work hard, pursue an education, and put effort into their jobs, again we all know that this country is made up of immigrants. Now when I say we should allow people into the country, I am not proposing an open-door policy like some people want, mass immigration will and can damage a country's economy (especially if the economy isn't stable) and if all immigrants become citizens at once, of course the poverty rate will rise, and so will the amount of those whom are uneducated, so I am not supporting the side that claims all immigrants should be allowed to become citizens (at once, or at a rapid rate), but I neither support those who believe stopping immigration completely is a resolution, because again this country is made of up of immigrants, and blocking off immigration completely is also unhealthy for an economy (as much as most people don't want to admit this, immigrants are willing to do jobs others would not do, so making a huge wall at the border and stopping immigration completely is, again, not really smart because people will find other ways to get in and unhealthy for the economy if there is a way to stop immigration completely)

sorry for the extensive rant and being repetitive... again I have no idea why I respond to forums/post threads at around 12:30 in the morning...
Of course you do, since your family came here as illegal aliens.

The US cannot help the fact that Mexico and countries south are all mostly third-world poverty-stricken nations, with little else than political unrest, a wealthy upper class, a grinding poverty level lower class, and very little middle class.

We cannot take on the rest of the world's poor third world and survive as a first-world country. It's that simple. Third-world people continue to come here illegally, the United States as we know it will sink--there will be nowhere to go.

Yes, this country is made up of immigrants, but it is my belief that all immigration should completely halt until we have a handle on all of the illegal aliens (and I don't care what their age is), they are deported, and the serious problem it creates is addressed in some sane manner.

What makes you and everybody else who comes here illegally think that we owe you anything? Mexico and the others remain third-world because of the mindset and culture that dominate--and that's not going to change anytime soon.

That's fine that you and your relatives are pursuing higher education/goals, but you cannot erase the fact that you are the product of people who came here illegally. Illegals should have NO rights in this country other than to be deported.

Period. Immigration is fine--as long as it's done LEGALLY and through the correct channels.

It's like going to the dog shelter--you can't save them all.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:43 AM

58 posts, read 77,329 times
The above poster is Correct. Especially because SO MANY of the immigrants coming in recently have been Children, there is No way tax payers should be obligated to foot the bill the raise these Children. Free food, free housing, free schooling (Basic and College), Free healthcare...it goes on and on. Many of the kids are sent this way under the premise that "America will take care of them." This idea needs to be done away with.

There will be those who make good of the assistance they're given. However, there will be many more that continue to use Government assistance throughout their adult lives and many may turn out to be criminals. In a perfect world, all of the immigrants would turn out like the OP and his family. However, we must open our eyes to the true cost and dangers of open boarders.

However, I do believe that we, at least, should offer the detainees basic health screenings, clean clothes, and adequate meals while they're here.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:50 AM

16,724 posts, read 13,665,130 times
Quote:

I am also Hispanic, and my grandparents came from Cuba and Spain. They became American citizens, and my grandfather fought in WWII in the US Navy.

I see nothing wrong with being an immigrant, as long as immigrants do the right and legal thing, and become an American citizen. Otherwise, I'm against you being here, taking education and jobs away from my fellow Americans. I don't care how hard you work or how smart you are, if you're not a citizen, you are stealing from those of who are. That's my opinion.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

What makes you and everybody else who comes here illegally think that we owe you anything?
Well I don't believe anyone owes me or any other individual anything, whenever my family moved into the U.S. they did not really receive assistance from anyone, they came with the little money they had, bought their own food, and they did not even go to the doctor for any injuries, if you had an injury, you would find a way to cure yourself (and in Central America there is tons of natural remedies which my family still uses up until this day)

So... why do you think that I believe you owe me something?

...btw unless you are Native American, you are also from an immigrant family (not to be rude, but some people deny the fact that they would not be here without immigration, like I said once, Native Americans would be the only ones that can claim they are not immigrants)

Old 07-21-2014, 08:20 PM

9,191 posts, read 18,516,359 times
Quote:

What makes you and everybody else who comes here illegally think that we owe you anything?
Quote:
Well I don't believe anyone owes me or any other individual anything, whenever my family moved into the U.S. they did not really receive assistance from anyone, they came with the little money they had, bought their own food, and they did not even go to the doctor for any injuries, if you had an injury, you would find a way to cure yourself (and in Central America there is tons of natural remedies which my family still uses up until this day)

So... why do you think that I believe you owe me something?

...btw unless you are Native American, you are also from an immigrant family (not to be rude, but some people deny the fact that they would not be here without immigration, like I said once, Native Americans would be the only ones that can claim they are not immigrants)
The tired old "Native American" thing holds no water--when you get right down to it, even the ancient peoples came from somewhere else to the North American continent.

It's also completely irrelevant. We are talking the here and now.

You stated that you believe anyone has the right to come to this country--and I don't agree with you. If it isn't done the legal way according to our laws, then they have--quite simply--broken and entered. There is a huge sense of entitlement in your entire original post--and you attempt to justify the illegal entry with what your family has done since breaking and entering.

Don't expect those who have done it the correct way to like what your family has done. The problem is NOT immigration--it is ILLEGAL immigration.

Last edited by observer53; 07-24-2014 at 03:32 AM..

Old 07-21-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I am also Hispanic, and my grandparents came from Cuba and Spain. They became American citizens, and my grandfather fought in WWII in the US Navy.

I see nothing wrong with being an immigrant, as long as immigrants do the right and legal thing, and become an American citizen. Otherwise, I'm against you being here, taking education and jobs away from my fellow Americans. I don't care how hard you work or how smart you are, if you're not a citizen, you are stealing from those of who are. That's my opinion.
If this is what you meant
Just to be clear, you are stating that ...if people do not follow the "right and legal thing" they should not be here, correct?

If you did not mean ^
...because if that is not the case, you just stated something that would contradict your existence in this country.

Just to be clear, all the people like me who "are/were stealing from" others, those people who we are/were "stealing" from are also descendants of immigrants... unless they are one of the few Native Americans that survived the dramatic change in America, or who knows, they might be one of those rare Anglo-Saxon Americans who were here before all the Native Americans.

Last edited by Texan1010; 07-21-2014 at 08:31 PM..

Old 07-21-2014, 08:35 PM

3,926 posts, read 4,392,839 times
Some points: my wife's family had Land Grant Number 1 at Jamestown. My family lived in Nacogdoches, TX before Texas was the Republic of Texas. Some of my early grandparents were Creek and Cherokee. This is the typical mix of early Texans.

The border was relatively open until the Mexican Revolution spilled across the border. And even later, people came and went across the border,until the 1980's when the first surge of illegals hit, putting citizens out of work in areas like home building.

Now, less than 50% of US citizens can find jobs. The only way the unemployment rate is low is by the govt taking people artificially out of the job market.

We cannot keep taking everyone in. Just a fact. Doesn't matter if you are from Canada or Mexico. The answer should be NO until he economy REALLY recovers and the citizens who need jobs can actually get them.

Put the National Guard on the border and stop crossings.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:

The tired old "Native American" thing holds no water--when you get right down to it, even the ancient peoples came from somewhere else to the North American continent.

It's also completely irrelevant. We are talking the here and now.

You stated that you believe anyone has the right to come to this country--and I don't agree with you. If it isn't done the legal way according to our laws, then they have--quite simply--broken and entered. There is a huge sense of entitlement in your entire original post--and you attempt to justify the illegal entry with what your family has done since breaking and entering.

Don't expect those who have done it the correct way to like what your family has done. The problem is NOT immigration--it is ILLEGAL immigration.
"I do believe that people should have the right to come into this country ...if they are willing to work hard, pursue an education, and put effort into their jobs, again we all know that this country is made up of immigrants."

...Do not forget about the if portion

Last edited by observer53; 07-24-2014 at 03:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or