Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 02:37 PM

22,471 posts, read 11,995,014 times

Advertisements

If all businesses who employ illegal aliens went out of business it would wreak havoc on the economy.
---------------------
^Oldglory gave a great response to your post. That said, I have an anecdote for you.

In DC, there is a local restaurant chain called Clyde's. The largest Clyde's is right by the Verizon Center and does a lot of business, even though they serve mediocre food (but I digress...).

Last year, this Clyde's actually got audited by the government and it was discovered that 100 illegal aliens were working there. Well, Clyde's had no choice but to fire them all. Yet, as far as day-to-day operations were concerned, Clyde's didn't miss a beat. The restaurant stayed open. Plus they had no problems filling those job vacancies.

To show you how entitled illegals have become, most of the 100 illegals quickly beat a path to the DC Office of Latino affairs and demanded help getting their jobs back! Yes, that is incredulous. Of course, it had to be explained to them that they had no right to those jobs in the first place.

The same thing would happen to most businesses if we sent all the illegals packing. Some businesses will die because they relied too heavily on illegals to stay in business. Those businesses are diseased businesses that need to die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Don't blame the farmers or the business owners. Blame the consumers, meaning you and me not willing to pay $50/gallon for milk!
It may surprise you to learn this but...if farmers hired legal workers like they're supposed to, milk won't cost $50/gallon

Think about it---before we got infested with illegals, farms got along just fine with American workers and milk wasn't prohibitively expensive.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:10 PM

671 posts, read 690,502 times
Default $50 per gallon of milk? Absurd!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
It may surprise you to learn this but...if farmers hired legal workers like they're supposed to, milk won't cost $50/gallon

Think about it---before we got infested with illegals, farms got along just fine with American workers and milk wasn't prohibitively expensive.

yeah, BOS, he went over the top with this one. $50 per gallon, indeed...

Glad you called him out on it. I was thinking about doing it.

kudos, Dandiday

Old 07-24-2014, 03:18 PM

671 posts, read 690,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
But most employers wouldn't have to go out of business. They instead would have to hire Americans or legal immigrants for a bit higher wage and just make less profit. What are these jobs that neither you or I or our American youth aren't willing to do? With the low wages and larger families of these illegal aliens their taxes would be a negative and anything they paid in wouldn't cover their large social costs.

Even Homeland Security has stated that it is cheaper to deport them than to allow them to remain here. The only migrant workers we need are for crop picking and there are already unlimited visas for those jobs and only 3% of illegals are doing those jobs.

Speaking of taxes. The tax credits for illegal aliens are costing us dearly and it wouldn't change if they were made legal.

Tax Credits for Illegal Immigrants

Yes, Oldglory, you're correct in reporting that the cost (through taxes) of maintaining this illegals for so-called "cheaplabor" isn't cheap at all.

This was corroborated in other references I've posted, for example, from the Heritage foundation's economists.
also, see the article below:

Center for Immigration Studies...the High Cost of Cheap labor

found here: The High Cost of Cheap Labor | Center for Immigration Studies

It's just an illusion...we're paying for this so-called cheap labor in SO many other ways!!!

Dandiday

Old 07-24-2014, 03:21 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

True, but back then, kids could and were expected to work the family farm.. Now the federal government in their infinite wisdom have said kids can't work the farm.. I have had more than my share of Bossie in my hands and I survived just fine. We never had a single illegal working for us..

Old 07-24-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandiDay View Post

kudos, Dandiday
Thank you, Dandi! If I could rep you again I would

Old 07-24-2014, 03:41 PM

62,940 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandiDay View Post

kudos, Dandiday
Those kinds of false claims are made all the time. The employers of illegal aliens do not pass any savings on to we the consumer. They just pocket the profits for themselves and pass their social costs on to us. Without illegal alien labor prices might go up a bit (but I doubt it and certainly not to the extent of what is being claimed here) but we'd still save a bundle on their social costs. Not to mention that it would put Americans back to work.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:11 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
I'm the granddaughter of Jewish refugees, so obviously I am still strongly in favor of allowing those with legitimate asylum claims to remain here.

Had my grandparents not escaped Europe, they all would have been hunted by the Gestapo. The Nazis slaughtered 2/3 of the Jews in Europe, so the odds definitely were not in their favor.

However, we should severely curtail or even eliminate employment-based visas unless a truly compelling case can be made. In the case of IT code monkeys (I'm one myself), sorry pal...no sale.

I also think the only family-based immigration we should permit is for spouses of US citizens and their minor children.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:16 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Those kinds of false claims are made all the time. The employers of illegal aliens do not pass any savings on to we the consumer. They just pocket the profits for themselves and pass their social costs on to us. Without illegal alien labor prices might go up a bit (but I doubt it and certainly not to the extent of what is being claimed here) but we'd still save a bundle on their social costs. Not to mention that it would put Americans back to work.
If you subtract the additional expense of what illegals cost us it's more than a push. Milk more, healthcare and education costs down for starters.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:38 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
If all businesses who employ illegal aliens went out of business it would wreak havoc on the economy. This is not a viable solution. The only viable solution would be to provide visas to the migrant workers, at an american office down in mexico and other places, so they could cross the border legally and fill those vacant jobs that neither you and I are willing to do. This would also increase tax revenue by a wide margin.

If you're wondering why the heck the country tolerates high volumes of illegal aliens, the first reason is because America can't afford to deport all these people and still run efficiently. There might be "ulterior motives" to quote Gov. Perry but it does not change the fact that America needs migrant workers. Period. Either provide them visas and let them pay taxes or let the situation rot.
I don't agree here. Too, MOST illegal aliens ain't working the farms. Word is MOST farm workers in 2014 ARE US citizens.

We don't "need" illegal aliens to do a thing except leave the US and STAY out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration