Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 02:26 AM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
I am in favor of more legal immigration. Not illegal immigration. I understand you are of hispanic descent. Hasn't your own family benefited from immigration laws ?
My Hispanic grandparents were born under the Spanish flag and became US citizens courtesy of the Jones Act. All their children were born under the US flag.

Yes, my non-Hispanic grandparents did come here legally in 1921 from Europe. They got jobs, went to night school to learn English and then became naturalized US citizens.

Everybody's ancestors in this country came from someplace else. Even the Native American Indians' ancestors came here from Asia.

100 years ago, we had room to expand. Plus, people who were illiterate---both Americans and immigrants---could find work as we were largely an agrarian and industrial society. We also didn't have any welfare so, for everybody, it was sink or swim.

Today, we have a population of over 300 million and are running out of potable water and buildable land. Our infrastructure is crumbling and there is no money to properly repair it, let alone add even more.

As I mentioned many times, we are very generous as we allow 1 million legal immigrants annually into this country. We need to seriously reduce this number if we are to have sustainable resources and good quality of life. All illegal aliens need to be sent packing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 03:12 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,184 times
Notice the topic line: America needs immigrants yet refuses to create proper work visas. Yes, shame on America! No matter what this country does for illegals, they're complaining! ?They are never satisfied! Some of them are even suing because they didn't like the conditions of the centers they were sent to, even though they were getting 3 meals and snacks and getting medical treatment for their diseases. Some of them even said "Well, the lights were too bright."
Of course they have immigrant lawyers instructing them. They'll come up with all kinds of goofy lawsuits and win them. I bet they'll sue for someone pulling too hard on their hair, when they were trying to get the bugs out. I'd put up an assembly line as they came in, and shave their heads. That would be a quick way of getting rid of the bugs anyway.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:34 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I'm not going to watch a 22 minute video. If you have watched it in its entirety then, please summarize it. Thank you.

Well...farmers have a guest worker visa program that they can use and it has no caps on it. Yet some sleazy farmers refuse to use it and instead hire cheap, exploitable, illegal labor.

We have the H1-B visa program that's riddled with corruption to the point where American workers are blatantly discriminated against in favor of Indians on H1-Bs.

Actually, we allow 1 million legal immigrants per year into the country, which is extremely generous. We don't need to be increasing that number. In light of the fact that we are running out of potable water plus buildable land and our infrastructure is crumbling with no money to fix it, we need to reduce legal immigration. Plus, we need to get rid of the illegal aliens.
I jsut read an article a couple of days ago about how IT workers are being replaced by Indians on H1-B visas, and were required to train their own replacements prior to being laid off!

Ever try to get help by phone from a company? Often you get someone from India whom you can barely understand, and their English isn't that good either. The last time this happened to me, in frustration I demanded to speak to an English speaking American. Guess what? They transferred my call to someone I could understand! I didn't think they would.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:34 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,822 times
As the thread continues - everybody please calm down and remember that just because you feel you're right is no reason to attack those you disagree with.
Yac.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:22 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
It is really a great video everyone should watch.

It takes place in western NY where dairy farmers are in dire need of workers. The work is really hard and shifts work 24/7. Some guys do 16 hours a day. People get pooped on, pissed on, manure is everywhere and up your ankles.

The farmers explain no americans are willing to work at their farms therefore they have to resort to hiring illegal workers or be pushed out of business. The reporter drives to an unemployment center and proposes jobs at a dairy farm to unemployed americans and none will accept the offer but one lady. The hispanics he proposes the jobs to are willing to start asap.

The visa you are referring to only covers seasonal work. Dairy farms need workers year round. They are not the only businesses in that situation, all need that legal and appropriate measures be taken that will take into account the current circumstances.

Issues with H1-B exist but the current workforce still can't fill all advertised skilled positions. But this thread tackles mainly the issue of illegal cheap labor and its root causes. Jobs at the dairy farms pay around 10 dollars/hour. In order to attract americans farmers would be forced to double or triple that amount. As a direct consequence, the price of food would rise.

A lot of companies rely exclusively on immigrants to fill their positions. Why not give all of their employees legal visas to work at these specific places ? Then they would pay taxes. Allowing in legal immigrants is not a matter of generosity. It is meant to meet the expectations of the economy.

In the video one farmer bought machines after some of his crew was deported. He explains machines are a lot more expensive.
You say that Hispanics are willing to take those jobs. Didn't you mean illegal aliens? Are Hispanic citizens and/or legal immigrant Hispanics refusing those jobs? No employer has the right to hire illegal aliens no matter what their excuse is. If they can't remain in business without resorting to breaking the law then they need to go out of business. Those who employ them just pass their social costs on to us so they are no bargain for the American taxpayer.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:07 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
My Hispanic grandparents were born under the Spanish flag and became US citizens courtesy of the Jones Act. All their children were born under the US flag.

Yes, my non-Hispanic grandparents did come here legally in 1921 from Europe. They got jobs, went to night school to learn English and then became naturalized US citizens.

Everybody's ancestors in this country came from someplace else. Even the Native American Indians' ancestors came here from Asia.

100 years ago, we had room to expand. Plus, people who were illiterate---both Americans and immigrants---could find work as we were largely an agrarian and industrial society. We also didn't have any welfare so, for everybody, it was sink or swim.

Today, we have a population of over 300 million and are running out of potable water and buildable land. Our infrastructure is crumbling and there is no money to properly repair it, let alone add even more.

As I mentioned many times, we are very generous as we allow 1 million legal immigrants annually into this country. We need to seriously reduce this number if we are to have sustainable resources and good quality of life. All illegal aliens need to be sent packing.
Agreed and HOW on everything you said!

Old 07-24-2014, 10:04 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
The illegals that are flowing in now wouldn't even qualify for "work visas".
They have little to no education and little to no work skills.
Some of them speak neither English nor Spanish.

What types of jobs would these people qualify for ?

These are third world country people living in abject poverty.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:19 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:

Amen to you again, good post.

What other Country in the world is as generous as the US. What Country in this world would allow American illegals to act in the way that our illegals do.

Our quality of life as we know it, can't continue on this same path.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:15 AM

2,185 posts, read 1,381,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The illegals that are flowing in now wouldn't even qualify for "work visas".
They have little to no education and little to no work skills.
Some of them speak neither English nor Spanish.

What types of jobs would these people qualify for ?

These are third world country people living in abject poverty.
To all posters : please watch the video.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:24 AM

2,185 posts, read 1,381,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You say that Hispanics are willing to take those jobs. Didn't you mean illegal aliens? Are Hispanic citizens and/or legal immigrant Hispanics refusing those jobs? No employer has the right to hire illegal aliens no matter what their excuse is. If they can't remain in business without resorting to breaking the law then they need to go out of business. Those who employ them just pass their social costs on to us so they are no bargain for the American taxpayer.
If all businesses who employ illegal aliens went out of business it would wreak havoc on the economy. This is not a viable solution. The only viable solution would be to provide visas to the migrant workers, at an american office down in mexico and other places, so they could cross the border legally and fill those vacant jobs that neither you and I are willing to do. This would also increase tax revenue by a wide margin.

If you're wondering why the heck the country tolerates high volumes of illegal aliens, the first reason is because America can't afford to deport all these people and still run efficiently. There might be "ulterior motives" to quote Gov. Perry but it does not change the fact that America needs migrant workers. Period. Either provide them visas and let them pay taxes or let the situation rot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration