U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 01:10 AM

9,427 posts, read 5,538,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Of course, you are correct.

I just find it despicable when someone tells Americans who lost their jobs to illegals that it's the fault of the American

There is no defense for illegal immigration to this country---or any country in this world.
We will restore this nation, and if it takes some force..So be it, these open border pro illegals "people" love them so much, love their nations, and cultures more then America, fine MOVE TO THOSE NATIONS, DO NOT MOVE THEM HERE!

YOU WANT TO LIVE IN A 3RD WORLD SLUM, FINE BUT AMERICANS DONT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 01:18 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,334,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Immigrants come here for many things. The biggest draws are
One. Kids born here are American citizens with a support system and benefits. Our 14th amendment is here to stay

Two. Job opportunities. Employers want the best, brightest, cheapest.

It looks like most people on this board prefer some level of restriction on immigration.

We won't be able to do that for the following reasons:
1. We have framed our country as a nation of immigrants and this moral high ground narrative about immigration. Despite being angry, most Americans don't speak their mind because of fear. Those who do are viewed as racists or the extreme right wing. Such a narrative was brought on by the same people who don't like it as well. But we have created an established political ideology that is difficult to change.
2. Immigration benefits both parties in different ways. The democrats see poor immigrants as a sure voting block for them. More people will depend on the government and support democratic policies. Democratic leaders and celebrities are wealthy and don't personally suffer from this. The republicans are worried that their states might turn blue. But they like cheap labor too much. Their business friends will go after them with pitchforks if they get real serious about undocumented immigration.
3. The demographics of many states in the sunbelt and beyond are already changing. Many citizens are recent immigrants who have plans to bring family here. Public opinions will remain divided. I gather many Americans on this board are native born without close ties with people in another country. But you are quickly shrinking as a population percentage because we have been adding lots of people. Take a look at schools, especially elementary schools. The majority of kids are sometimes immigrant children. They have an inherent affection toward immigration and they are relatively new still. They share a lot with their country of origin. Reducing immigration will be seen as anti immigrant and scare many people away from voicing their opinions. Anti immigrant sentiments are going to be a small fraction of "extremists."
4. The workplace demographics are also shifting tremendously. The high tech industry has become an international country club. If you stay at their dinner parties, you meet mostly highly educated affluent people. It can seem great. But it's a very small fantasy land compared to the rest of america. Many companies are already very international, and decisions are made in that mindset. A foreigner in leadership position may recommend more people they know from another country, for example. Once these companies become global, they will not become local again.
5. Many foreign workers possess practical skills. They focused on career development while Americans drifted. This means that the competition is strong, and the winners are going to be from not just America.

The need to take care of the immigrant poor will triumph the shrinking white middle class.

The need for American businesses to stay competitive also triumphs the shrinking white middle class.

The American middle class is pulled from both ends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
LOL. You sound like the folks back in the 1800s, 1920s, 30s, 40s..etc.. EXACTLY THE SAME.

"Irish Need Not Apply"...wow.

Let me tell you something, if YOU are worried about competing for a job against an undocumented person, you have serious issues you need to fix in your life. For folks who find themselves in that situation, I would recommend job training to attain new skills, going back to school and earning a degree.

That's what your family must've said when they came to this country I bet... "I don't know about you but I want better than third world status for my descendants".
You left off something here: about 1920 some serious controls on any kind of immigration became the law. In 1965 the door was opened again. Things have been "open" for 50 years and, soon, the US will shut down most immigration again.

Too; I'm of Irish family and, BOS2IAD is "Hispanic". BOTH of us want MOST immigration cut way down, especially from 3rd world countries.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:21 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,334,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
We will restore this nation, and if it takes some force..So be it, these open border pro illegals "people" love them so much, love their nations, and cultures more then America, fine MOVE TO THOSE NATIONS, DO NOT MOVE THEM HERE!

I can't rep you but I agree.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:41 AM

9,427 posts, read 5,538,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I can't rep you but I agree.
Careful you might be agreeing with a "racist" lol. Thank you..

Old 07-26-2014, 02:24 AM

9,321 posts, read 5,819,161 times
Quote:
LOL. You sound like the folks back in the 1800s, 1920s, 30s, 40s..etc.. EXACTLY THE SAME.

"Irish Need Not Apply"...wow..
No, it's not the same. The Irish back in the 1800's and early 1900's did apply, they came legally. Recently, there was a post about 50,000 illegal Irishmen in NYC, they went home after 9/11. Good riddance, they were illegals.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:33 AM

11,577 posts, read 5,555,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
No, it's not the same. The Irish back in the 1800's and early 1900's did apply, they came legally. Recently, there was a post about 50,000 illegal Irishmen in NYC, they went home after 9/11. Good riddance, they were illegals.
My husband is 1/2 Irish and agrees with you 100%. He says that the illegal Irish need to called The Padded Wagon (There is a moving company with that name that specializes in moving illegal Irish back to Ireland) and go back to Ireland.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:44 AM

164 posts, read 266,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post

Unfortunately, for a lot of American communities here in southern California, its too late

Take a look at what its done to what was once "America's suburb," the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMiEAr60yMY

Old 07-26-2014, 07:07 AM

31,895 posts, read 14,685,001 times
Quote:

"Irish Need Not Apply"...wow.

Let me tell you something, if YOU are worried about competing for a job against an undocumented person, you have serious issues you need to fix in your life. For folks who find themselves in that situation, I would recommend job training to attain new skills, going back to school and earning a degree.

That's what your family must've said when they came to this country I bet... "I don't know about you but I want better than third world status for my descendants".
All we are saying is that legal immigration should be in reasonable numbers that we can accommodate in jobs and resources while keeping population growth in mind. We object to illegal immigration because that negates that sane policy and they are a burden to our society. The only ones benefiting from them are the greedy employers who pass their social cost on to we the taxpayer. All countries have immigration laws and for good reasons.

I don't use PC words like "undocumented". I call them what they are "illegal aliens" according to our immigration laws.

So you're not aware that employers hire illegal aliens for cheap profit? They hire them because Americans can't do those jobs? Really? Who do you think did all those blue collared jobs before illegal aliens flooded our country? Why should Americans learn new skills and roll over and give the jobs they love to do such as construction, landscaping, etc. to illegal aliens who don't even have a right to work or reside here? Not everyone is cut out to be a desk jockey you know.

Bye, have a nice life.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:17 AM

156 posts, read 112,138 times
I really hate when American citizens are told that they should just move over and let someone here illegally have their job! Yeah, stop doing what you've done for 20 or 30+ years, an illegal wants your job and is more worthy. You can just go back to school and get a college degree (and go into debt to get that degree also). What the heck?!

Some people like doing manual labor OR, for myriad reasons, are not able to do skilled work or complete higher education. How arrogant and presumptuous. I think that's one of the pro-illegal arguments that is most offensive to me. No citizen or legal immigrant--not ONE--should be displaced by someone here illegally.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:32 AM

31,895 posts, read 14,685,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticat View Post
I really hate when American citizens are told that they should just move over and let someone here illegally have their job! Yeah, stop doing what you've done for 20 or 30+ years, an illegal wants your job and is more worthy. You can just go back to school and get a college degree (and go into debt to get that degree also). What the heck?!

Some people like doing manual labor OR, for myriad reasons, are not able to do skilled work or complete higher education. How arrogant and presumptuous. I think that's one of the pro-illegal arguments that is most offensive to me. No citizen or legal immigrant--not ONE--should be displaced by someone here illegally.
Excellent post. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or