U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 03:56 PM

9,833 posts, read 5,589,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
$9000 a year in school tax????
Multiple houses. Not just one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 04:21 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Aren't there like 50 million kids in school in the United States right now?

Sense.... of.... proportion.
And those 50 million kids are entitled to every dime in the school budget. Illegals are entitled to deportation.
You make a weak argument at best. The left cries that we don't invest enough in public education and now they add to the burden. Keep in mind this is not just 30,000 more, but 30,000 additional illegals.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:29 PM

2,836 posts, read 2,301,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Do you have kids in a public school? If you did, you would understand that even one or two of these illegal alien kids is very disruptive in a classroom. Even if the illegal alien kids behaved, they still need extra attention---that's attention that American kids are not getting.
I've actually worked in schools. Some of them might have even had illegal immigrant kids in them. (I really don't know, because nobody tells me this.)

I completely understand the principle. But adding an additional 0.08% or so kids that need extra attention to our schools shouldn't break the schools.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I've actually worked in schools. Some of them might have even had illegal immigrant kids in them. (I really don't know, because nobody tells me this.)

I completely understand the principle. But adding an additional 0.08% or so kids that need extra attention to our schools shouldn't break the schools.
Come to any border city school and look at what it does to schools...

Old 08-02-2014, 07:18 PM

11,488 posts, read 5,507,878 times
Quote:

One kid won't break an entire school. However, one kid who comes to school despite being born here, without knowing English and the Spanish they do know is atrocious, will break a classroom. But you well know it's not just one or two kids in a school, is it? It's a heckuva a lot more.

BTW, where I live a house has to be assessed at $1 million in order for the property taxes to cover the cost of educating one child.

You have 20-30 illegals living in flophouses, that house doesn't come close to generating enough property tax to educate even one child, never mind 5-10 kids.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:05 AM

410 posts, read 934,668 times
You all are always screaming "Follow the law"! Well, the law is being followed.

In the United States, children are given the right to an elementary and secondary education (K-12) regardless of their immigration status.
Plyler v. Doe

Plyler v. Doe, 457 U.S. 202 (1982), was a case in which the Supreme Court of the United States struck down a state statute denying funding for education to undocumented immigrant children and simultaneously struck down a municipal school district's attempt to charge undocumented immigrants an annual $1,000 tuition fee for each undocumented immigrant student to compensate for the lost state funding.[1] The Court found that where states limit the rights afforded to people (specifically children) based on their status as immigrants, this limitation must be examined under an intermediate scrutiny standard to determine whether it furthers a substantial goal of the State.

And most of the undocumented children have been released and so yes, they will be in school this year.

Looks like some other people need to go back to school!

Educate yourselves! The devaluing of education and reading by a large percentage of Americans is the biggest problem we face, not educating a few extra children.

And this thread has proven that.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:14 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,881,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerguy View Post
The devaluing of education and reading by a large percentage of Americans is the biggest problem we face, not educating a few extra children.
What do you do with a 15 year old that dropped out of school before 3rd grade and speaks no English ?
Does the US Public School system have programs in place to educate "refugees" from third world countries in these massive numbers in schools all over the US ?

Bilingual education only goes to 5th grade (10 years old).
MS and HS are English only.

What should schools do..put that 15 year old in a first grade bilingual class ?

Old 08-03-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerguy View Post
You all are always screaming "Follow the law"! Well, the law is being followed.

In the United States, children are given the right to an elementary and secondary education (K-12) regardless of their immigration status.
Plyler v. Doe

Plyler v. Doe, 457 U.S. 202 (1982), was a case in which the Supreme Court of the United States struck down a state statute denying funding for education to undocumented immigrant children and simultaneously struck down a municipal school district's attempt to charge undocumented immigrants an annual $1,000 tuition fee for each undocumented immigrant student to compensate for the lost state funding.[1] The Court found that where states limit the rights afforded to people (specifically children) based on their status as immigrants, this limitation must be examined under an intermediate scrutiny standard to determine whether it furthers a substantial goal of the State.

And most of the undocumented children have been released and so yes, they will be in school this year.

Looks like some other people need to go back to school!

Educate yourselves! The devaluing of education and reading by a large percentage of Americans is the biggest problem we face, not educating a few extra children.

And this thread has proven that.
You are absolutely right. That is the law. However if you follow immigration law, which in the chain of events precedes education law, then the illegal immigrant children wouldn't be in the country to go to school.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
What is about to happen? In 2 weeks, our schools start. What's going to happen to all of the kiddos in detention camps who haven't been processed yet? When they release them into society, for some, the school term could be half over with. Are they going to stick these kids, who are normally lacking educational skills anyway with their age group? Will they put them in younger age groups? How will they ever be able to catch up? I know they will have their own teachers, but will there be so many that they can all be put in one classroom? That sounds like the best idea to me, except that there may be several different language barriers. Think of all of the different holidays the different nationalities celebrate. I'm sure they will let them celebrate them because it's part of their "culture". But, no Christian holidays can be celebrated.

I see such a mess ahead of us. I'm really concerned for everyones school systems, and I still can't see a mass influx of illegals all at once coming to our schools. The teachers are not happy about this, but of course they have to be PC about it. There is no bad part of our town, or the one next to it. A beautiful apartment complex went up here at the edge of town, and people were protesting. They didn't want apartments here. Now, there are several going up. Hmmm, maybe because they are expecting a lot more people moving here.

I think some people have already been released and are here. We've noticed a lot more people here who can't speak English getting ticked off at cashiers because they couldn't understand them, with many kids with them, running around screaming. I went by McDonalds by my house and ordered something (my first mistake) and the Hispanic young guy handed me my things one thing at a time. I said "Wait, I need a sack", he grunted something. He had no idea what I was talking about. I tried to play Charades with him to get a sack, but he never got it, and I stayed there until someone else came up, and I got a sack. Another time I was in there and a young Hispanic girl couldn't understand what I was ordering, but she could understand and speak some English, but said "don't know" to everything I asked her (about some new things on the menu) Someone else finally came over and I told her this girl didn't know anything I asked her, and she (older Hispanic lady) said "So, we don't have to know anything to work here!" I said "What? Are you serious?" & she repeated herself. That really made me laugh for some reason, to keep from crying, I guess. I really don't go there often, barf, it just sounds like I do.

So, what do you think they will do about educating all of these illegal kids? I can't even imagine how they will go about it.
This is a typical example of what is wrong with this country: rampant misinformation and ignorance of facts.

First of all, most of the kids have been released and will be in school. Leave the teaching to the schools. They are trained to handle these problems. And as someone else pointed out, it is not going to make much of a difference, they will be so spread out.

The truth is, in public schools, we don't really celebrate any holidays. We have a "winter break" now instead of Christmas. A good school will TEACH about other cultures and holidays--it's in the state adopted textbooks and curriculum and is law. Why would you not want to be informed about the world around you? That leads to ignorance. And culture is not the same as religion. No religious holidays are celebrated in public schools, of any denomination.

As to your last big paragraph, I live and work in the schools of S. OKC and have for years. I've been to literally hundreds of places where Hispanics work and have never had something like this happen. Maybe now and then a word might be misunderstood, but heck, that happens all the time with dumbed-down legal Americans. I just don't buy all that.

Don't worry about educating these kids. The teachers of S. OKC are great and 90% of the teachers at my school is ELL certified, including myself. That means we are qualified to deal with this. I'm looking forward to working with these kids, if we even get any, which I doubt.

Here's what I see: Most of the schools I've worked in in S. OKC are mostly Hispanic. The Hispanics, regardless of immigration status or language ability are very receptive to learning. Low scores are due to many other factors that can be researched and I will not list here because there are just too many. The parents want the kids, as a whole, to get an education (there are of course exceptions to everything) and succeed. And once language skills are grasped, the Hispanic kids often do very, very well. On the other hand, white American kids have a big problem. We, as a culture (white/black Americans on the whole) no longer value education or reading. Most of these parents I see just do not care. And this is the root of most of our problems as a culture. I see this everyday in the southside schools of OKC.

Many Americans are offended when they hear Spanish or any other language spoken. I've never understood this. There is no law that guarantees you may only hear English. In most other countries, people are at the very least bilingual. We are so dumbed down it is ridiculous. People are afraid they will have to learn about a new culture or learn a new language and for a culture that doesn't value learning, that is scary.

Educate yourselves! Go to the library! Read a book! Attend a cultural event or go to a museum! Meet new and different people! Learn something new!

The face of this nation is changing and it will not be stopped. Embrace it, or be left behind a bitter bunch of people who will die off.

These are facts.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What do you do with a 15 year old that dropped out of school before 3rd grade and speaks no English ?
Does the US Public School system have programs in place to educate "refugees" from third world countries in these massive numbers in schools all over the US ?

Bilingual education only goes to 5th grade (10 years old).
MS and HS are English only.

What should schools do..put that 15 year old in a first grade bilingual class ?
I don't know what goes on in Texas, but here we have bilingual support at all grades, at least in my district. Putting a 15 year old in a first grade class simply would never happen anywhere. School policies do not allow for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or