U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-28-2014, 12:39 PM
 
Location: NJ
18,677 posts, read 16,470,566 times
Reputation: 7274

Advertisements

ronald reagan on immigration reform - Bing Videos

How unfortunate both WNJ sides have forgotten this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-28-2014, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 69,996,344 times
Reputation: 27520
We will never have immigration reform.
Not when a load of third world countries are but a swim across a river.
Not when social welfare benefits provide a life so much richer than where they came from.
Not when they are allowed to stay, work, buy homes, raise families and blend into America with no repercussions.

All we can do is grant amnesty every couple of decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 02:27 AM
 
1,531 posts, read 973,552 times
Reputation: 1306
hmm...i thought there already was a 'pathway to citizenship'...the rio grande
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 02:59 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas,Nevada
9,427 posts, read 5,532,771 times
Reputation: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We will never have immigration reform.
Not when a load of third world countries are but a swim across a river.
Not when social welfare benefits provide a life so much richer than where they came from.
Not when they are allowed to stay, work, buy homes, raise families and blend into America with no repercussions.

All we can do is grant amnesty every couple of decades.
When this nation implodes they will all leave...

I say build a fence, end all benefits..make them leave..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 03:21 AM
 
37,072 posts, read 38,387,148 times
Reputation: 14840
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
ronald reagan on immigration reform - Bing Videos

How unfortunate both WNJ sides have forgotten this.
Ronald Reagan supported amnesty because we were supposed to tighten up the border and wouldn't be having this discussion again. We tried this once and we're back at square one, why do it again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 07:56 AM
 
16,750 posts, read 8,680,615 times
Reputation: 4713
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Ronald Reagan supported amnesty because we were supposed to tighten up the border and wouldn't be having this discussion again. We tried this once and we're back at square one, why do it again?

Actually we tried 7 times:

"The Seven Amnesties Passed by Congress
1. Immigration and Reform Control Act (IRCA), 1986: A blanket amnesty for some 2.7 million illegal aliens
2. Section 245(i) Amnesty, 1994: A temporary rolling amnesty for 578,000 illegal aliens
3. Section 245(i) Extension Amnesty, 1997: An extension of the rolling amnesty created in 1994
4. Nicaraguan Adjustment and Central American Relief Act (NACARA) Amnesty, 1997: An amnesty for close to one million illegal aliens from Central America
5. Haitian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act Amnesty (HRIFA), 1998: An amnesty for 125,000 illegal aliens from Haiti
6. Late Amnesty, 2000: An amnesty for some illegal aliens who claim they should have been amnestied under the 1986 IRCA amnesty, an estimated 400,000 illegal aliens
7. LIFE Act Amnesty, 2000: A reinstatement of the rolling Section 245(i) amnesty, an estimated 900,000 illegal aliens"

https://www.numbersusa.com/content/l...-congress.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 08:15 AM
 
16,750 posts, read 8,680,615 times
Reputation: 4713
By the way, there has always always been a path to citizenship ever since we had immigration law. It is called apply for legal immigration just like every other legal immigrant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 08:29 AM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,318,310 times
Reputation: 5895
I def agree there needs to be immigration reform. It's called ending birthright citizenship unless at least 1 parent it at least a legal alien and allow our street cops to arrest at least any known illegal alien on sight. IMHO the word will get out and most WILL leave the US with the few hard heads laying REAL low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 08:41 AM
 
2,485 posts, read 1,768,684 times
Reputation: 2140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I def agree there needs to be immigration reform. It's called ending birthright citizenship unless at least 1 parent it at least a legal alien and allow our street cops to arrest at least any known illegal alien on sight. IMHO the word will get out and most WILL leave the US with the few hard heads laying REAL low.
It goes beyond that. Immigrants come here also for the social welfare. Are we going to reduce social welfare to the point where it's no longer appealing to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 11:36 AM
 
16,750 posts, read 8,680,615 times
Reputation: 4713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
It goes beyond that. Immigrants come here also for the social welfare. Are we going to reduce social welfare to the point where it's no longer appealing to them?

Social welfare should only be given to legal aliens and citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top