U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 02:29 PM

902 posts, read 505,464 times

Advertisements

This is truly what happens when it comes to multiculturism, not diversity now....real diversity anyway.

TO: All Employees
DATE: October 01, 2007
RE: Christmas Party

I'm happy to inform you that the company Christmas Party will take place on December 23, starting at noon in the private function room at the Grill House.
There will be a cash bar and plenty of drinks! We'll have a small band playing traditional carols...feel free to sing along.

And don't be surprised if our CEO shows up as Santa Claus!
A Christmas tree will be lit at 1:00 PM. Exchange of gifts among employees can be done at that time; however, no gift should be over $10.00 to make the giving of gifts easy for everyone's pockets. This gathering is only for employees!

Our CEO will make a special announcement at that time!
Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Patty

DATE: October 02, 2007
RE: Holiday Party

In no way was yesterday's memo intended to exclude our Jewish employees. We recognize that Chanukah is an important holiday, which often coincides with Christmas, though unfortunately not this year. However, from now on we're calling it our "Holiday Party."

The same policy applies to any other employees who are not Christians or those still celebrating Reconciliation Day.

There will be no Christmas tree. No Christmas carols sung.

We will have other types of music. Happy now?
Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Patty

DATE: October 03, 2007

Regarding the note I received from a member of Alcoholics Anonymous requesting a nondrinking table ... you didn't sign your name. I'm happy to accommodate this request, but if I put a sign on a table that reads, "AA Only"; you wouldn't be anonymous anymore. How am I supposed to handle this?

Somebody?

Forget about the gifts exchange, no gifts exchange are allowed since the union members feel that $10.00 is too much money and executives believe $10.00 is a little chintzy. NO GIFTS EXCHANGE WILL BE ALLOWED.

To: All Employees

What a diverse group we are! I had no idea that December 20 begins the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which forbids eating and drinking during daylight hours. There goes the party! Seriously, we can appreciate how a luncheon at this time of year does not accommodate our Muslim employees' beliefs. Perhaps the Grill House can hold off on serving your meal until the end of the party- or else package everything for you to take it home in little foil doggy baggy. Will that work?

Meanwhile, I've arranged for members of Weight Watchers to sit farthest from The dessert buffet and pregnant women will get the table closest to the rest-rooms.

Gays are allowed to sit with each other. Lesbians do not have to sit with Gay men, each will have their own table. Yes, there will be flower arrangement for the Gay men's table. To the person asking permission to cross dress, no cross-dressing allowed though.
We will have booster seats for short people. Low-fat food will be available for those on a diet.

We cannot control the salt used in the food we suggest for those people with high blood pressure to taste first. There will be fresh fruits as dessert for Diabetics, the restaurant cannot supply "No Sugar" desserts.
Sorry!

Did I miss anything?!?!?

TO: All F****** Employees
DATE: October 05, 2007
RE: The F****** Holiday Party

Vegetarian a**hol**. I've had it with you people!!! We're going to keep this party at the Grill House whether you like it or not, so you can sit quietly at the table furthest from the "grill of death," as you so quaintly put it, and you'll get your f****** salad bar, including organic tomatoes. But you know, tomatoes have feelings, too. They scream when you slice them. I've heard them scream. I'm hearing them scream right NOW! I hope you all have a rotten holiday!

Drive drunk and die, The ***** from HELL!!!!!!!!

DATE: October 06, 2007
RE: Patty Lewis and Holiday Party

I'm sure I speak for all of us in wishing Patty Lewis a speedy recovery and I'll continue to forward your cards to her. In the meantime, management has decided to cancel our Holiday Party and give everyone the afternoon of the 23 RD off with full pay.

Happy Holidays!
Joan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 03:12 PM

3,162 posts, read 10,295,946 times
Imho that's not multiculturalism, that's disguised intolerance, or PC.

Sometimes getting angry could be positive, some controlled rage that keeps evil at bay it's necessary for time to time, and imho PC is evil!! at least taken it to the extreme, what's wrong in enjoying christmas, why should someone be ofended by that? as much as a christian has the right to scream from his soul merry christmas a jew could say happy hannukah!! etc, that is multiculturalism, respect and tolerance, not hiding your roots for fear of "offending"

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

LONG LIVE JESUS!!!!

MAY THE CHRIST BE BORN IN YOUR HEARTS!!!

to heck with PC, if someone gets offended, they can scream whatever they want that i'll respect it

This is multiculturalism for me

ॐ Christ
ॐ Krishna

Merry Christmas!!

Last edited by Travelling fella; 12-20-2007 at 03:40 PM..

Old 12-20-2007, 03:51 PM

1,252 posts, read 725,704 times
The 'day off with full pay' bit at the end only serves to demonstrate it never happened.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:18 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Personally, I LOVED this spoof. Lots of fun, maybe just a TINY bit exaggerated, but not much. In reality, though, it does go to show the impossibility of truly ever becoming multicultural (I've done a number of posts on this). For all cultures--(most of them, at least)-- contain certain elements that are INCOMPATIBLE with elements of OTHER cultures. It's as simple as that. Therefore in any "multicultural" situation, we have only three possible courses of action, NONE of which will be totally satisfactory to everyone.-- We can:

(1) Let EVERYONE practice his/her culture to the fullest extent, and soon end up so outraging each other that we erupt in violence....(how about a wife-beating culture accomodating to a non-wife-beating culture? Or a culture that values legal recourse, next door to a culture that prides itself on swift, violent revenge ?)...

(2) We can (as this little spoof suggests) simply order EVERYONE to subdue and keep in check his/ her culture, doing nothing that will offend ANYBODY--(which, in fact, translates into pretty much not allowing anyone to do anything at ALL )...

(3) OR--we can continue to base our society on "our" culture (traditional Western, Judeo-Christian, liberal, inclusive values) while allowing and encouraging OTHER cultures to embrace some of their OWN values, but not to the extent that they alter our basic, hard-won sense of individual freedoms and equality. This has been our TRADITIONAL way, but lately has been under attack aas "not being inclusive enough". Well, as a matter of fact, there are many cultural traditions around the world that we probably SHOULDN'T be 'inclusive' of...in large measure, because they'd infringe upon ALL of our rights. Not every cultural "quirk" is adaptable to living in a free society. It's very important we recognize that freedom of individual choice, the rights of individuals, and freedom from fear, are part of OUR culture, and most of us want to keep it that way. To do that, we have to limit some of the "rougher" aspects of human behavior from society, in order to live in peace. Some cultures will find this idea easier to adopt than others---but it's of vital importance.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:48 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,223,114 times
LOL! It sounds accurate. We are killing ourselves with this political correctness. Heavens knows we wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings......

Old 12-20-2007, 04:48 PM

3,162 posts, read 10,295,946 times
imho, culture is evolution, free speech, democracy, that's culture, wife beating is not culture but lack of, and every "culture" has evolved more in a way than others, for example western cultures evolved a lot in liberalism, and also in development of science and material gains, however we have a weak spot in spiritualism, where a lot of cultures in the east are much more advanced (like india)

but the world is changing now, India's becoming more western style, for example, and as we keep progressing most of the world will become more advanced, even countries like those of the middle east or africa will get out of the dark ages someday.

We are in the age of scientifical and technological developments now, but when we start practicing spiritual development, by techniques such as meditation, you can expect to see a huge leap in mankind (imho)

A key player in multiculturalism is music, specially electronic music, Dj's are men without countries who export and import culture in the 4 corners in the world.

Also psychedelic culture is the same in the 4 corners of the world and it's becoming more and more spiritual, so the future is slowly building itself

Psychedelic parties in:

(pictures source, the trancers guide to the galaxy) http://www.trancersguide.com/countries.html

Argentina

Australia

Austria

Belgium

Bosnia Herzegovina

Brazil

Bulgaria

Canada

Colombia

Croatia

Czech republic

Denmark

England

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Last edited by Travelling fella; 12-20-2007 at 05:10 PM..

Old 12-20-2007, 04:58 PM

1,252 posts, read 725,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
our TRADITIONAL way, but lately has been under attack aas "not being inclusive enough".
I don't question the sum total of your post, but traditions are often also attacked today for not being 'exclusive' enough.........

In either case, it's less a matter of 'if' traditions have merit as being universally acceptable, but in many cases, determining 'where' such acceptance of traditional matters should be enforced.

As in the case of the spoof, the office party is not a 'private' function, and shouldn't be thought of as one.

In the corporate world, whether it's ideal or not, one's 'social interaction' is often reviewed in terms of job performance. Attendance at a company function is often viewed as 'required', where not attending can be looked at as 'not being part of the team'.

This puts undue pressure on the workers, and that's why there are rules about such things as mixing religious ceremonies and company sponsored events.

If a corporate community wishes to acknowledge a 'tradition', that corporate body had best be accommodating to all of it's staff equally in order to at least give the appearance of valuing all of it's contributors with all their varying traditions on an equal basis.

That's a simple enough courtesy.

If one wanted a Christmas party not sponsored by the company, a note on the bulletin board would not be disallowed, and the possible attendees could make their own minds up about whether it was apt for them to attend or not.

What they wouldn't be forced to deal with, was wondering if their non-attendance might be held against them within the corporate sphere of influence concerning their 'position' within the corporation.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:08 PM

1,861 posts, read 2,967,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
I don't question the sum total of your post, but traditions are often also attacked today for not being 'exclusive' enough.........

In either case, it's less a matter of 'if' traditions have merit as being universally acceptable, but in many cases, determining 'where' such acceptance of traditional matters should be enforced.

As in the case of the spoof, the office party is not a 'private' function, and shouldn't be thought of as one.

In the corporate world, whether it's ideal or not, one's 'social interaction' is often reviewed in terms of job performance. Attendance at a company function is often viewed as 'required', where not attending can be looked at as 'not being part of the team'.

This puts undue pressure on the workers, and that's why there are rules about such things as mixing religious ceremonies and company sponsored events.

If a corporate community wishes to acknowledge a 'tradition', that corporate body had best be accommodating to all of it's staff equally in order to at least give the appearance of valuing all of it's contributors with all their varying traditions on an equal basis.

That's a simple enough courtesy.

If one wanted a Christmas party not sponsored by the company, a note on the bulletin board would not be disallowed, and the possible attendees could make their own minds up about whether it was apt for them to attend or not.

What they wouldn't be forced to deal with, was wondering if their non-attendance might be held against them within the corporate sphere of influence concerning their 'position' within the corporation.

The only way I'd see to do it "without hurting feelings" would be to have separate parties for all types of holidays - one can attend or not. If I don't want to go to the Muslim party, not being Muslim, I won't. If I want to go to the Jewish party, being a Christian, I might if I have friends at that party. If a Buddist wants to come with me to my Christian party, fine.

Or, you don't have parties at companies. I'm amazed that people are somehow "insulted" if a party is not about THEM.

Most of these holidays are not considered religious by everyone - they are just traditional American holidays, and if you live in America, you'll see them celebrated just like seeing something else celebrated in another country when you visit. I would not find that insulting, myself.

Everybody's got to grow a thicker skin, or else you'll be miserable everyday. If I lashed out every time I was insulted, I'd be in jail now.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:03 PM

49 posts, read 107,533 times
They should be glad that they get a party from the company.
We had ham sandwiches and potato salad, cheese cake "while we worked". Ran to the back to get a bite of food any chance we could.

But still, I think it was really funny. We are not allowed to play christmas music or put any such decorations of christmas because it might offend someone. It's a shame what the world has come to.

Who cares what religion you celebrate. Party, have a good time. Celebrate in your heart.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:13 PM

11,878 posts, read 32,921,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post

Ahh Brazil, the land of nekked people -- long live Brazil..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration