Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 12:14 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,054,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
To South America? I don't know because that's not where these kids are coming from.
Buenos Aires is really nice... and the exchange rate right now!

Now to Central America, we should give these immigrants due process under the law and start attempting to clamp down on border crossings. We should also do what we can to stop Honduras and Guatemala from being corrupt, drug gang run hell holes.
Lol. You got me.

Ok... Central America (to the south).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 12:51 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockeyfan View Post
Okay, I am all for securing the border and discouraging illegal immigration, but then we need to make legal immigration easier and remove all the red tape and excessive paperwork.
You do know that we already allow more immigration than all other countries combined right?
Why do we need to make it easier? What do we owe any applicant? My wife is a legal immigrant and now a citizen. It isn't impossible, but we do have a minimum standard just like everyone else does.
I agree with you about the redundant paper work and the unreasonably long waits. My step daughter is on a 7 to 10 year waiting list. That said why should we lower our standards?

Old 07-30-2014, 12:54 PM

792 posts, read 634,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
You do know that we already allow more immigration than all other countries combined right?
Why do we need to make it easier? What do we owe any applicant? My wife is a legal immigrant and now a citizen. It isn't impossible, but we do have a minimum standard just like everyone else does.
I agree with you about the redundant paper work and the unreasonably long waits. My step daughter is on a 7 to 10 year waiting list. That said why should we lower our standards?
If anything, we should higher the standards. There are smart people in Central America, too, but they don't have much if any opportunity back home.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
It's pretty damn hard. Lots of forms, lots of digging up old documents, it's a mess. I was born in Minnesota and so was my whole family back to my great-great grandparents, but I have some friends who are first-generation immigrants. There's also waiting lists that span decades.

No. But at the same time, we need legal immigration reform.
So you don't know what is involved and you are basing your ideas upon here say?
What kind of reform do we need? That is a pretty generic statement.
I believe we need to raise the bar. We don't need to import people who are uneducated and can't speak the common language.
We don't need to legalize illegals. We produce a bumper crop of criminals on our own, we don't need to import more. Yes any illegal in this country is a criminal.
We do need to streamline the process and cut out the redundancy.
WE do need to raise our minimum standard to ensure we are not importing a burden.
We do need to make E-Verify the law of the land and put some teeth into the penalties.
What we don't need to do is reward illegals for criminal behavior.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:59 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Minded View Post
What to do with the folks here now is another issue.

What I want to know is what message is Obama sending to South America.

We need a clear message that ILLEGAL entry into the United States is not welcomed and then we need to SECURE THE BORDER by any means necessary.

Period.
Secure a two thousand mile border HOW exactly?

Old 07-30-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
If anything, we should higher the standards. There are smart people in Central America, too, but they don't have much if any opportunity back home.
There may be smart people in Central america, in fact I am certain that there are. We don't owe them anything.
We need to look at what other countries are doing and reapply. Thailand for example requires an applicant to have at least 40 grand in a Thai bank for a minimum of 6 months. They also require that you can prove that you have an income of at least $2400 a month. This is common sense. You must renew every year and once again prove your income and maintain that 40 grand in the bank. This means that you will not become a burden upon the kingdom. Makes sense.
If an applicant either can't prove they are financially able or don't have a sponsor that can prove they are financially able then we don't need them.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Not easily not cheaply.
It is much better to go after the bait. What draws them here? Go after the employers. make E-Veryfy mandatory and put some hefty penalties in the law for those who violate it.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Well, the Chinese built the Great Wall in less than 100 years with primitive tools and that is around 5000 miles long.

If we started building now, I bet we could be done by 2025. During the construction it would send quite the message also wouldn't it?

Old 07-30-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Not easily not cheaply.
It is much better to go after the bait. What draws them here? Go after the employers. make E-Veryfy mandatory and put some hefty penalties in the law for those who violate it.
I say build the wall AND go after the bait.

Win win

Old 07-30-2014, 02:21 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
Quote:
Not easily not cheaply.
And raise the cost of doing business!? Why do that when we can spend a few hundred billion on a 2000 mile wall? What kind of commie are you!?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration