U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 12:56 PM

2,721 posts, read 2,157,085 times

Advertisements

Even if I don't agree with a person's views, I'll respect anyone that can have a sense of humor about things. Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Come on now; I post an extreme pro-Detroit agenda too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 03:43 PM

11,584 posts, read 5,559,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I have thought about this, and I think a lot of posters misunderstood what I was trying to say. From a community standpoint, there are definitely situations where some or many illegal immigrants are responsible for a disproportionate of problems in such communities. Houses with 20/30 people, auto premiums, disturbances at night - these are all possible problems where illegal immigrants may be the primary cause in many communities. So I am fully open to these points.

This thread, however, is about personal responsibility. My guess is that most people are relatively conservative who post here. We want people on welfare to take responsibility for their own lives and not rely on government handouts. Well, the flip side is that we need to take responsibility for our own lives too. Just like people on welfare have disadvantages in their lives that aren't fair, we have illegals that are disadvantaging us in some ways. But this does not absolve us in our part of making our lives successful.

Does that clear things up a bit?
What makes you think that people who dislike illegal immigration do not take "personal responsibility" for their lives?

You must have not read through all the posts in this thread. If you did, you would read about the post who lost his livelihood due to illegal immigration. Are you saying that when illegals displace Americans in the work force, it's the fault of the American? Don't you think that these displaced workers want to do what they trained to do?

Sure, there are things that happen in people's lives that have nothing to do with illegal immigration Who has said otherwise? For example, people who have inherited a good chunk of money but blow through it quickly and now are poor. That's on them. If you want to start a thread about people who don't take responsibility for their lives, then you need to go to another forum and start such a thread.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:49 PM

11,584 posts, read 5,559,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
From my personal perspective, most present-day U.S. citizens could be considered as 'illegals'.

First, there was some guy who 'discovered America'. He was an illegal. Then he became responsible for all those who followed and invaded an already occupied land. They were all illegals too! Their offspring became so aggressive, that they decided to expand their invasion westward, by any means necessary via their 'Manifest Destiny' creed. They killed, maimed, raped and displaced natural inhabitants, all along the way. That too was illegal.

Next, we have the African-American. There is absolutely noting legal about Africans being purchased for the sole benefit and profit of so-called 'legal' Americans. Therefore, no African-American is technically an American, but they have more right to call themselves Americans, because at least their forefathers worked for it and didn't commit all kinds of felonious crimes to 'possess' this country.

In my opinion, we are all inhabitants of the earth, and it's our collective responsibility to take care of both the earth, and all of its habitants that don't interfere with the peace and security of our ecosystem.
Here we go again---more reconquista claptrap.

Back when "some guy" discovered "America", there was no USA, thus no immigration laws to break. Even the Native American Indians, were by your odd definition, "illegal" since their ancestors came here from Asia Also, the Indians weren't these sweet, peaceable people you imagined them to be, as tribes were often at war with one another. No, that doesn't excuse what was done to the Indians. However, every country in this world was conquered at some point in its history. If this troubles you so much, you can do a world tour where you visit all the graves of the conquerors and yell at them.

Some of my ancestors were slaves that were forcibly brought to the New World. You apparently don't know that when this occured, it was legal---sad to say, but true.

Who the heck are you to say that those of us who were born here have no right to call ourselves "American"? What an inane statement!

I think that it would do you good to get some history books and start reading.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:23 PM

5,938 posts, read 6,380,807 times
Who said all problems were due to illegals. Ridiculous thread.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:00 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,342,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
From my personal perspective, most present-day U.S. citizens could be considered as 'illegals'.

First, there was some guy who 'discovered America'. He was an illegal. Then he became responsible for all those who followed and invaded an already occupied land. They were all illegals too! Their offspring became so aggressive, that they decided to expand their invasion westward, by any means necessary via their 'Manifest Destiny' creed. They killed, maimed, raped and displaced natural inhabitants, all along the way. That too was illegal.

Next, we have the African-American. There is absolutely noting legal about Africans being purchased for the sole benefit and profit of so-called 'legal' Americans. Therefore, no African-American is technically an American, but they have more right to call themselves Americans, because at least their forefathers worked for it and didn't commit all kinds of felonious crimes to 'possess' this country.

In my opinion, we are all inhabitants of the earth, and it's our collective responsibility to take care of both the earth, and all of its habitants that don't interfere with the peace and security of our ecosystem.
Uh; stop it, please.

What you said about the US can be said about ALL of LatAm too. Too; NO country allows ILLEGAL aliens. No reason the US would be different. Sheesh!

Old 08-05-2014, 05:45 PM

145 posts, read 156,793 times
I am sooooo tired of the illegals! They do make things worse. A lot of what has been said on here about them is true, I have seen some of it for myself. They are really bringing California and now the country down. It is truly sad. Btw I am fine with LEGAL immigration and NOT a racist. I call it like I see it.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:39 PM

20,872 posts, read 41,677,496 times
Default Can We Stop Blaming Our Problems on Illegals? Not Really.......

Per the Associated Press today - here's one internet link:

Quote:
For the first time, U.S. public schools are projected this fall to have more minority students than non-Hispanic whites, a shift largely fueled by growth in the number of Hispanic children.

The changing demographics of American education are apparent inside Jane Cornell's summer school classroom, where giggling grade-schoolers mostly come from homes where Spanish is the primary language. The sign outside the classroom reads "Welcome" and "Bienvenidos" in polished handwriting.

The disparities are evident even in the youngest of black, Hispanic and Native American children, who on average enter kindergarten academically behind their white and Asian peers. They are more likely to attend failing schools and face harsher school discipline.

Later, they have lower standardized test scores, on average, fewer opportunities to take advanced classes, and are less likely to graduate.

Roughly one-quarter of Hispanics and African-Americans live below the poverty line — meaning a family of four has nearly 24,000 in annual income — and some of the poorest of Hispanic children are dealing with the instability of being in the country illegally or with a parent who is, Gandara said.

Focusing on teacher preparation and stronger curriculum is "not going to get us anywhere unless we pay attention to the really basic needs of these children, things like nutrition and health and safety, and the instability of the homes," she said.

This transformation in school goes beyond just educating the children. Educators said their parents also must feel comfortable and accepted in schools.

White students to no longer be majority at school - The York Daily Record
And, we wonder why US ranks 17th (or is it now 34th?, I read that recently) in the world in education.

And, more criminals and welfare recipients are created. Oh, joy.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:01 PM

11,819 posts, read 9,762,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Per the Associated Press today - here's one internet link:

And, we wonder why US ranks 17th (or is it now 34th?, I read that recently) in the world in education.

And, more criminals and welfare recipients are created. Oh, joy.
The US ranks lower than most of the developed world because we value high school sports more than education or the arts and believe education is for the school, not a 24/7 job by parents from infancy.
But that's a subject for another thread, and doesn't play into the propaganda of this forum.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:37 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,342,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The US ranks lower than most of the developed world because we value high school sports more than education or the arts and believe education is for the school, not a 24/7 job by parents from infancy.
But that's a subject for another thread, and doesn't play into the propaganda of this forum.
Uh; illegal aliens ARE a problem in the US and their kind being here IS a lead weight on our public schools. Even Mexico doesn't play nice with illegals like those from Guatemala.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:18 AM

20,872 posts, read 41,677,496 times
No, it's not propaganda.

Illegals are a huge drain on the social services, schools, hospitals, particularly in CA, TX, AZ, FL - which is why those states make such a big deal of it.

They've ruined the schools in the southwest, truly. Check out the graph in that article. First you need to overcome poverty, then language - and then, maybe get around to actually teaching. It's impossible. Read the article. Parents who are citizens and can afford it rightfully are not sending their kids to these schools. I sure wouldn't.

They don't belong here. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration