U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-11-2014, 12:45 AM
 
3,936 posts, read 5,446,580 times
Reputation: 4151

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
No, it's not propaganda.

Illegals are a huge drain on the social services, schools, hospitals, particularly in CA, TX, AZ, FL - which is why those states make such a big deal of it.

They've ruined the schools in the southwest, truly. Check out the graph in that article. First you need to overcome poverty, then language - and then, maybe get around to actually teaching. It's impossible. Read the article. Parents who are citizens and can afford it rightfully are not sending their kids to these schools. I sure wouldn't.

They don't belong here. Period.
I think it's way past time we stopped the "wet foot dry foot" business too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-11-2014, 06:50 AM
 
24,843 posts, read 31,241,247 times
Reputation: 11427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I think it's way past time we stopped the "wet foot dry foot" business too.
That is ONLY for Cubans.

No issue there....not many make it to the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2014, 09:17 AM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,101,322 times
Reputation: 11576
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
You are wrong. They are costing money to everybody who pays taxes. And they are doing jobs that our legal citizens need.

I want to go on record to say that most of the problems this country faces today has been brought on because these people are being allowed to stay in this country. I am talking about money that we have to pay for insurance on our cars, home and medical. Taxes that pay for their housing, food, and education that is being taken from those legal citizens that are being short-changed such as our veterans.

I could go on but that should be enough to shut your mouth.

And it doesn't make you feel too comfortable going outside to your car after a man stands in front of you and angrily demands that you find him someone that speaks Spanish. Can you imagine going into a Spanish country and demanding that someone speak English to you?

We have had to put up with enough. They need to go back where they are citizens or stop demanding rights they don't have.
Actually, yes. Happens all the time. But, you wouldn't know it if you've never been out of the country, or to Puerto Rico so, right there, you just discredited yourself because Americans are made fun of and notorious the world over for demanding they be coddled in English whenever we go to another country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2014, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
20,791 posts, read 41,427,990 times
Reputation: 14036
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Actually, yes. Happens all the time. But, you wouldn't know it if you've never been out of the country, or to Puerto Rico so, right there, you just discredited yourself because Americans are made fun of and notorious the world over for demanding they be coddled in English whenever we go to another country
HUH ??? What does a visitor/tourist requesting English have to do with and illegal welfare leech demanding Spanish everywhere??? Absolutely NOTHING.

Tourists contribute to an economy - these illegals DRAIN IT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2014, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Actually, yes. Happens all the time. But, you wouldn't know it if you've never been out of the country, or to Puerto Rico so, right there, you just discredited yourself because Americans are made fun of and notorious the world over for demanding they be coddled in English whenever we go to another country
Well I am well traveled. Most places I have been to do cater to english speakers. They do it for a reason. Business. English is pretty much the universal language of business. English speaking tourists bring big bucks.
Go to Asia and pretty much anywhere you go hotels, airports, banks and stores cater to english speakers. Not Spanish, not German and not French. English is the language of big business. I speak Thai, not because I have to, but out of respect for the country I visit most often and hope to move to. It also helps when you leave the big city and go to small towns. No one has ever made fun of me because I am an English speaker. It may happen in Europe, but then they look down their noses at everyone else anyway.
Ask Thai merchants who the most rude tourists are and they will say Russians, Arabs and people from India. Following them it's the French who get tagged. Thais like Americans, Canadians and Australians over all. Go to Korea and they feel the same provided you leave the areas where our Military is stationed. No one enjoys having a Military base for a neighbor.
Now what I never see in Asia is anyone cater to Spanish speakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2014, 05:15 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,278,864 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Well I am well traveled. Most places I have been to do cater to english speakers. They do it for a reason. Business. English is pretty much the universal language of business. English speaking tourists bring big bucks.
Go to Asia and pretty much anywhere you go hotels, airports, banks and stores cater to english speakers. Not Spanish, not German and not French. English is the language of big business. I speak Thai, not because I have to, but out of respect for the country I visit most often and hope to move to. It also helps when you leave the big city and go to small towns. No one has ever made fun of me because I am an English speaker. It may happen in Europe, but then they look down their noses at everyone else anyway.
Ask Thai merchants who the most rude tourists are and they will say Russians, Arabs and people from India. Following them it's the French who get tagged. Thais like Americans, Canadians and Australians over all. Go to Korea and they feel the same provided you leave the areas where our Military is stationed. No one enjoys having a Military base for a neighbor.
Now what I never see in Asia is anyone cater to Spanish speakers.
Agreed about Spanish: except for Spain, NO country outside of LatAm caters Spanish. English IS the main language everywhere where money and business is being talked about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2014, 06:42 PM
 
3,936 posts, read 5,446,580 times
Reputation: 4151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
That is ONLY for Cubans.

No issue there....not many make it to the USA.
I know it's ONLY for Cubans. It's also an issue. Many people want it stopped, but there are so many Cubans there, they are always able to defeat every attempt to repeal it.

Ilegal Cuban Migrants Get Immediate Benefits and Services: a Green Card in a Year: Illegal Immigrants from Cuba: Preferential Treatment to get Green Card


This is from a man of Cuban descent who says it's out of control.

According to an estimate by the University of Miami's Institute for Cuban and Cuban-American Studies, the cost of public benefits provided to Cuban immigrants was $322 million in 2008.
"We cannot keep giving all the benefits to people coming from Cuba who have not paid a penny into the system, especially at a time when Congress is talking about taking benefits from people who have been paying into the system for years," added Mannerud, who is of Cuban descent."



Through the use of political power by U.S. Cubans, they have successfully defeated every attempt to repeal the 1966 Act and have been able to add further preferences for Cuban immigrants, whether legal or illegal. It is also a matter of class and resources; Cubans in the U.S. are able to pay thousands of dollars to have traffickers bring Cubans here illegally, to give them jobs, and help them get U.S. government benefits, while most illegals from other countries do not have the same resources or influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2014, 07:16 PM
 
31,471 posts, read 14,559,147 times
Reputation: 8350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I know it's ONLY for Cubans. It's also an issue. Many people want it stopped, but there are so many Cubans there, they are always able to defeat every attempt to repeal it.

Ilegal Cuban Migrants Get Immediate Benefits and Services: a Green Card in a Year: Illegal Immigrants from Cuba: Preferential Treatment to get Green Card


This is from a man of Cuban descent who says it's out of control.

According to an estimate by the University of Miami's Institute for Cuban and Cuban-American Studies, the cost of public benefits provided to Cuban immigrants was $322 million in 2008.
"We cannot keep giving all the benefits to people coming from Cuba who have not paid a penny into the system, especially at a time when Congress is talking about taking benefits from people who have been paying into the system for years," added Mannerud, who is of Cuban descent."



Through the use of political power by U.S. Cubans, they have successfully defeated every attempt to repeal the 1966 Act and have been able to add further preferences for Cuban immigrants, whether legal or illegal. It is also a matter of class and resources; Cubans in the U.S. are able to pay thousands of dollars to have traffickers bring Cubans here illegally, to give them jobs, and help them get U.S. government benefits, while most illegals from other countries do not have the same resources or influence.
Geez, just more examples of a tribal mentality. When will certain groups of citizens start putting their country and their fellow citizens first rather than foreigners of the same nationality and/or ethnic group?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2014, 07:36 PM
 
410 posts, read 934,468 times
Reputation: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
Funny how they just don't seem to care as one of my neighbors put a note up, asking them politely to stop having their visitors parking in front of the mailbox area, that we all need to access, cause they are in one spot,....well my neighbor told me they put on top of her note, near the mail boxes, in retaliation, .... and she said the note was extremely foul, and vulgar, cussing her out. Yea, nice, much respect there, imo.
Was your neighbor's note in English? Or, was your neighbor able to read Spanish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2014, 07:48 PM
 
410 posts, read 934,468 times
Reputation: 647
Americans have always needed someone to blame their problems on: Native Americans, Blacks, Irish, Jews, Chinese, and now Mexicans. Put the blame where it really belongs. On ourselves. Business owners hire illegal immigrants. Blame McDonald's. LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top