U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 12:03 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,101,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It started with Executive Order 13166 to provide services for LEPs (Limited English Proficient)
People who say it's always been like that are probably too young to remember when it wasn't.
My son for example has always known "Press 1 for English". My son has always known checkpoint charlie at airports.
When you've never known anything different then you tend to think "well that's the way it's always been".

And states and cities are now moving beyond the typical English/Spanish and providing up to 6-7 different language options.

There are over 200+ recognized languages.
Imagine when phones support all ?
They are not going to support all, that's just ridiculous.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:09 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,870,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
They are not going to support all, that's just ridiculous.
NYC is up to 7 languages and they review it annually to add or change.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:17 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,169,029 times
Quote:
My wife is British and she complained about loud American tourists, too. Seen it for myself, too. Some of the loudest, rudest tourists were Americans, but especially so those under 30. Even here in the US, Americans hanging around in a group when they are 17-21 years old are loud as hell. I think it's a generational thing too. Older people tend to be quieter and value quiet more than the young. But, let's blame all loud people on Hispanics

Actually, it's Press 1 for English, 2 for Spanish. It's always like that. Nice try, though
Thank you Captain Obvious. It won't be like that for long, was the point. But illegal apologists such as yourself seem to struggle with basic reasoning skills. Like why it is bad to have uneducated, diseased people with no skills coming here and unwilling to learn the language. Who do you think is paying for the food, health care, housing and every other benefit they are getting right now at the border??

And before you open your big mouth again, please post your address and tell us how many illegals you are going to take in on your Burger King Salary. Oh, that's right, it's not people like you who foot the bill. Frankly, people like you shouldn't be allowed to vote. You should instead be forced to live with the very people you love so much. So why don't you move to Mexico Amigo?

Old 08-02-2014, 12:52 PM

11,435 posts, read 15,940,646 times
Quote:
My wife is British and she complained about loud American tourists, too. Seen it for myself, too. Some of the loudest, rudest tourists were Americans, but especially so those under 30. Even here in the US, Americans hanging around in a group when they are 17-21 years old are loud as hell. I think it's a generational thing too. Older people tend to be quieter and value quiet more than the young. But, let's blame all loud people on Hispanics

Actually, it's Press 1 for English, 2 for Spanish. It's always like that. Nice try, though
I would agree that Americans are louder than Europeans. But when you live among the Mexicans here in the US, you would understand what I mean. When I wrote my post, I was sitting in a Whataburger waiting to eat after a poor night's sleep. Suddenly, a pack of Mexicans came and sat two tables away with their loud and endless conversation. I moved to a quieter part of the restaurant, yet still could hear them.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:46 PM

968 posts, read 329,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-sea View Post
yep, welcome to the united states of mexico. Press 2 for english.
:d

Old 08-02-2014, 04:37 PM

16,692 posts, read 8,635,470 times
Which aspect is pleasent?

Old 08-02-2014, 04:49 PM

20,791 posts, read 41,427,990 times
I never even HEAR English, much less get to an English option, without hearing a whole bunch of Espanol gobbledygook FIRST. Drives me up a !@#$%^&* wall. Don't call a CS line for ANYTHING anymore. Just can't stand it. So gd disrespectul to every English speaking citizen that in an English speaking country we are forced to listen to Espanol idiocy FIRST, BEFORE we can get to ENGLISH. I'm really, really sick of American citizens being second in their own country. And, then, people wonder how racism develops. I don't, anymore.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:06 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,169,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I never even HEAR English, much less get to an English option, without hearing a whole bunch of Espanol gobbledygook FIRST. Drives me up a !@#$%^&* wall. Don't call a CS line for ANYTHING anymore. Just can't stand it. So gd disrespectul to every English speaking citizen that in an English speaking country we are forced to listen to Espanol idiocy FIRST, BEFORE we can get to ENGLISH. I'm really, really sick of American citizens being second in their own country. And, then, people wonder how racism develops. I don't, anymore.
I too cannot stand this. And if you complain, people call you a "racist". Idiot liberals...they think that it is racist to expect immigrants to learn the language instead of being coddled. And before anyone attacks me, I myself was a legal immigrant turned US Citizen, and I speak the language without an accent!

The difference is that where I am from, education and intelligence are highly regarded, whereas in the "other" culture, stupidity and massive numbers of their stupid offspring are valued. Apparently it is a better strategy, because they are about to outnumber us!

Old 08-02-2014, 07:11 PM

11,482 posts, read 5,504,092 times
Quote:
Or, maybe, I don't live in a major metropolitan area like you do?

What's that got to do with anything? So, you never call a large nationwide company or bank and hear "para Espanol oprime dos"?

Old 08-02-2014, 07:44 PM

3,936 posts, read 5,446,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
I too cannot stand this. And if you complain, people call you a "racist". Idiot liberals...they think that it is racist to expect immigrants to learn the language instead of being coddled. And before anyone attacks me, I myself was a legal immigrant turned US Citizen, and I speak the language without an accent!

The difference is that where I am from, education and intelligence are highly regarded, whereas in the "other" culture, stupidity and massive numbers of their stupid offspring are valued. Apparently it is a better strategy, because they are about to outnumber us!
Good for you! A Proud American who came here the via the legal route! We love and want immigrants here, that's where many illegals are mistaken, when they say that we don't want anyone from another country. If any of you have been to a ceremony where the legal citizens become American citizens, you can't help shedding a tear or 50.

The two silliest things pro illegals call anti illegals are racists, and that we are illegals too. The first one they should look up in the dictionary, and the second, well, they should have paid more attention in History class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration