U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 11:09 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael85225 View Post
Thanks for your little story, but I don't see what that has to do with what I was talking about. What does race have to with anything? I don't get why people like you always have to bring down people bacuse they're Hispanic and ASSUME that they all love illegal immigrants. Why did the person who posted this have to bring out statistics about Hispanics getting welfare and slap a big "illegal immigration" sticker on it! It sickens me how you guys always involve a whole race as taking advantage of the goverment when they're are other Hispanics who are American and are in need of help to support their families, just like other people.
I cant speak for the other poster. I don't know what prompted the stats.
I do know as I said before hispanics get the spot light because they constitute the large majority of offending illegals. Thats what my post has to do with your post.
How have I brought down hispanics as a community? What did I say that was less than true? Did I even once say all hispanics love illegals? NO I did not. What I said was as community like other ethnic groups they facilitate and support illegals. This is also a fact. Add to that the hispanic immigration rally's demanding special rights.
It sickens me how someone always feels the need to pull the race card. Its a dead card.... I am married to a legal immigrant who is from Thailand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 11:44 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,418,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
So out of 449,200 welfare families in California, 50.9% of them are
HISPANIC. And we are told that the mexicans are just poor people who are
very hard workers and they come here to work? Looks like the facts speak for
themselves.

Characteristics and Financial Circumstances - FY 2006 (http://www.acf.hhs.gov//programs/ofa/character/FY2006/tab08.htm - broken link)
OK, here is the next immigrant bashing thread!

Before I listen to you people in California, Arizona and Texas whine about the percentage of welfare recipients being hispanic, let me review your stats:

Arizona % of population hispanic: 30
% hispanic welfare recipients:50

Texas % of population hispanic:35
%hispanic welfare recipients:52

Califor. % of population hispanic:35
%hispanic welfare recipients:50

so you are all hovering around 30-35 % of your population being hispanic, and about 50% of welfare recipients being hispanic.

Now let's take Massachusetts, my home state:

Mass: % of population hispanic: 8
% hispanic welfare recipients:35

So in Massachusetts, 8% of the general population is Hispanic, but 35 % of welfare recipients are hispanic.

I think if you wanted to point out that Hispanics are on welfare disproportionately to the demographic makeup of certain states, then you picked the wrong state.

Apparently you should be picking on the Hispanics of Massachusetts, not California, Texas or Arizona. Anyone want to explain the difference in Hispanic Population % vs. welfare % in Mass????

You guys out there just have more hispanics, a bigger segment of your population, but their welfare rates are only slightly higher than their population. Where in Mass there is a huge difference.

However, *sigh*, if you took the Hispanics on Welfare in Massachusetts case, you would not have the opportunity to bash the mexican population (legal or illegal, they seem to not be able to do right) in the western states. It seems like you are just fed up.

And enough already talking about people speaking their native languages at the grocery store. My father in law and husband are both immigrants. when they go to the store together, they speak their native language. I wonder if people are looking at them like they are ignorant foreigners who don't speak English, which would be pretty funny because my husband and his father are both American Citizens and both are HIGHLY educated, and both speak English (as a matter of fact my FIL speaks 3 languages). However, my FIL prefers to talk in his native language and unless finds it necessary to talk in English, he uses his native language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
Yes I know, And the anchor baby law is a bunch of B.S. and needs to go.
What is the anchor baby law? I know a medical student who was going to school here and his wife delivered a baby here. Their visas expired and they left. They have not been able to legally come here, after trying for years they went to England. Even though their child is a US citizen, that child cannot be raised here because our gov't will not let her parents in to raise her here. But when she's 18, she can come back, and apply for visas for her parents. It makes no sense, and that is why I'd like to know what this anchor baby law you are referring to, because even though they had a baby her, they have not been allowed back. (and they have a lot of family here, and money is not an issue for them) So what does this little girl have for rights since she is an American citizen? She can come live here but not with anyone to take care of her?

Old 11-30-2008, 08:28 AM

CT is even worse, btw, with 11% of the population being hispanic, 10% being african american, and these two groups make up 37% and 32% of welfare recipients. So, 21% of the population is hispanic or black, but 69% of welfare recipients are hispanic or black.

This is not an immigration problem. It is some other societal problem. (I am not saying anything negative about hispanics or blacks here, just pointing out the facts to those of you who consider race/ethnicity/welfare only in the context of immigration)

If you all had rates similar to Mass/CT, your % of hispanic welfare recipients would be at least 90%! So maybe those Mexicans are hardworking, generally!!!

Old 11-30-2008, 08:32 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the rug is bout to get pulled out from under many within 12 months. welfare mega reform.
For your lips to God's ears.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:35 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
CT is even worse, btw, with 11% of the population being hispanic, 10% being african american, and these two groups make up 37% and 32% of welfare recipients. So, 21% of the population is hispanic or black, but 69% of welfare recipients are hispanic or black.

This is not an immigration problem. It is some other societal problem. (I am not saying anything negative about hispanics or blacks here, just pointing out the facts to those of you who consider race/ethnicity/welfare only in the context of immigration)

If you all had rates similar to Mass/CT, your % of hispanic welfare recipients would be at least 90%! So maybe those Mexicans are hardworking, generally!!!
Interesting post: if your numbers are accurate; that is an indication that American Blacks are moving up the socio-economic food chain more and more rapidly. Fewer Black people per 100 on welfare vs. 'Hispanics' (regardless of race).

Old 11-30-2008, 03:08 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,139,378 times
Mommy - interesting stats. Does anybody have stats on how much of each state's population is on welfare? I'd like to attempt a different calculation, and actually may arrive at a different conclusion.

Edit: I clicked on the link. It's not available there.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Mommy - interesting stats. Does anybody have stats on how much of each state's population is on welfare? I'd like to attempt a different calculation, and actually may arrive at a different conclusion.

Edit: I clicked on the link. It's not available there.
Well, the link the op gave gives the number of welfare families in each state. I got the state populations from the following website:

State and County QuickFacts

this website (US Census Bureau) gives the total population for every state (estimated 2006 population), and breaks it down into different demographic categories.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:38 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post

True, criticizing the high welfare rates is only criticizing those actually getting on welfare. Here we get a whole lot of unwed girls from Mexico coming over the border (shopping passes) to deliver babies for the purpose of getting their maternity stay free but more important to access the welfare system and get their right to stay here illegally.

Many more are sitting around in welfare offices here than out doing hard work like baling hay or picking chilis, but everyone at least admires the hard workers to a point.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:40 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the rug is bout to get pulled out from under many within 12 months. welfare mega reform.
I certainly hope you are right. The area I'm in has big problems with the welfare rates and because of welfare, far more babies are born to single unemployed women than are being born into families.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:10 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,250,664 times
Immigrants should NOT be a burden on our society. They should be an asset, not a hindrence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or