U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 03:39 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,731,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I don't blame these Mexican truckers ONE BIT. What group, ANYWHERE, wants to see itself swamped by foreign competition?......that would be just plain STUPID.........wouldn't it?
Actually I agree -- but if an American doesn't want to be swamped by foreign competition and left jobless than the American is called a racist.

At least the same should be said for these guys -- they must just be racist against Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 03:41 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,731,841 times
In fact -- I agree so much -- it's hats off to these Mexican truckers who would shut down the border and put an end to that stupid idea called NAFTA.

Let's just go back to the idea of separate countries and end the globalization madness.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:52 PM

11,878 posts, read 32,931,397 times
I'm like you malamute. I think these guys are actually against the WHOLE scenario of trucks crossing both ways. I'm all for 'em.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:37 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,224,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I'm like you malamute. I think these guys are actually against the WHOLE scenario of trucks crossing both ways. I'm all for 'em.
If that's the case I apologize. I'd be glad to have them put an end to it.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:44 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,619,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMadArthur View Post

You guys pick the craziest crap to get all up in arms about. A group of Mexicans, in Mexico, that aren't illegally immigrating, want to protect their jobs from foreigners. Whoop-de-doo. I'm infuriated! WTF does this have to do with immigration?

If I may speak for others, Arthur, I think what you're seeing here is a group of Americans, in America, who plan to STAY in America, who want to protect THEIR jobs from foreigners. Perhaps, as you suggest, the Mexican truckers themselves aren't to blame....it's just that THEIR frustration has such a very close parallel to OURS.....and that THEIR feelings (of wanting to protect their jobs) are "understandable", but OURS are "racist". Hope this serves to explain. Once again, the old "double standard" at its best....

Old 12-21-2007, 07:46 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,601,350 times
To be honest with you, few American drivers will go over there. It is way too much of a hazard for several reasons. You cannot take a gun over there or you will face 20 years if they find so much as a bullet in your rig. That makes you prey for criminal gangs that specialize in hijacking American trucks and they will probably kill you to keep you from telling on them. And if the criminals don't get you, the corrupt police will. They will say you are "speeding" or something and arrest you until you or your employer pay a huge "fine" (bribe) to let you out of jail and, while you were in jail, your truck was stripped clean of everything worth more than 50 cents. Also the roads are really crappy and, since the Mexicans don't know what a FENCE is, their livestock run freely on the roads. I don't know any trucker that would drive over there!

Old 12-21-2007, 07:49 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,601,350 times
It would be better if we just scrapped NAFTA, gave AMNESTY to the ones here and sealed off anymore from sneaking in.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:58 PM

7,072 posts, read 10,820,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
To be honest with you, few American drivers will go over there. It is way too much of a hazard for several reasons. You cannot take a gun over there or you will face 20 years if they find so much as a bullet in your rig. That makes you prey for criminal gangs that specialize in hijacking American trucks and they will probably kill you to keep you from telling on them. And if the criminals don't get you, the corrupt police will. They will say you are "speeding" or something and arrest you until you or your employer pay a huge "fine" (bribe) to let you out of jail and, while you were in jail, your truck was stripped clean of everything worth more than 50 cents. Also the roads are really crappy and, since the Mexicans don't know what a FENCE is, their livestock run freely on the roads. I don't know any trucker that would drive over there!
This is true, most American trucking companies will not permit their drivers to go into Mexico. Too dangerous for the drivers, the trucks are expensive to replace if they get hyjacked.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:24 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,633,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It would be better if we just scrapped NAFTA, gave AMNESTY to the ones here and sealed off anymore from sneaking in.
No amnesty-------if anything: maybe it would be time to apply the RICO laws against the illegals.

Otherwise; I essentially agree with what you are saying.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:16 AM

1,252 posts, read 726,740 times
Why no mention of who suggested Mexican truckers should get a pass and be able to truck their goods inside our country in flagrant disregard for our laws anyway?

There wouldn't be any Mexican trucker dispute or discussion if Bush didn't propose to allow their trucks to skirt US law.

GW pushed through the lifting of DOT regulations. Seems to me, Bush is the more proper target if you want to address where the problem came from....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration