U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 12:15 PM

185 posts, read 319,646 times

Advertisements

What the heck, they don't believe in laws. Why should they be concerned about school schedules. ME, ME, MEEEE!

Hispanic students pay price for extended Christmas vacations, officials say
Hispanic students pay a price for taking monthlong Christmas vacations, officials say

By Alexa Aguilar

Tribune staff reporter

December 20, 2007
Click here to find out more!

Martha Padilla-Ramos and Jose Barrera fondly remember the long car rides south to Mexico each December when they were children. At the end of the trek awaited their cousins, delicious food, trips to church and days of parties to celebrate Christmas.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,7694358.story

Last edited by Administrator; 12-28-2007 at 03:19 AM.. Reason: cut - copyrighted article
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 12:21 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,701,141 times
If they lose out of school that is their own fault. I personally think the break is too long now. I dont get to see all my family every year, it happens. You come here from another country you need to realize that. Dont expect schools and work to just go along with it.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:49 PM

1,861 posts, read 2,969,200 times
These people do not want to go along with ANY rules, no matter what it means for their children's futures. I don't think education is very high on their agenda, which is sad for the kids.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:07 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,640,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
These people do not want to go along with ANY rules, no matter what it means for their children's futures. I don't think education is very high on their agenda, which is sad for the kids.
Different cultural norms-------------and; Mexico is living proof of how dysfunctional some Hispanic cultures are.

Although; once the 'Mexican', etc. people are ready to change and adapt, they will be welcome in First World society---------one with the Rule of Law.

Heck; even Spain is now solidly First World-----------and, that is a Hispanic country!

Old 12-21-2007, 01:11 PM

106 posts, read 409,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
I think it's important to understand that people of all ethnicities and cultures break rules and education isn't of highest importance for a large number of people from all walks of life. Merry Christmas

Old 12-21-2007, 02:12 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,701,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaTexan View Post
I think it's important to understand that people of all ethnicities and cultures break rules and education isn't of highest importance for a large number of people from all walks of life. Merry Christmas
Well then they should not expect their kids to get any breaks when they get back.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:21 PM

206 posts, read 366,007 times
According to our governor, the state of California spends 50% of its budget on education. A lot is spent on building new schools that never seem to catch up with the ever- increasing "student" population.--We're caught in some crazy cycle of allocating resources to provide an education for people most of whom who don't even value education.

Wasn't there someone it on this board who said that we should encourage people from Mexico to come here rather than Africa and Asia?...There are kids in Africa who who walk outrageous distances just to go to school.

Last edited by blue pekoe; 12-21-2007 at 02:50 PM..

Old 12-21-2007, 02:58 PM

9,309 posts, read 25,682,478 times
Boo Hoo . . . life SUCKS sometimes but that's just tough.

When I was in school there was an absolute minimum number of days required in order to pass or graduate. If any student was under that minimum for whatever reason (including going home for Christmas) they were required to take classes in the Summer or repeat the entire year.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:01 PM

10,716 posts, read 31,051,793 times
I absolutely believe in being sensetive to peoples culture but the reality is you have to get in a certain number of school days per year.

This is over the top that their expectation is that it doesn't apply to them.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:37 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,745,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Well then they should not expect their kids to get any breaks when they get back.
I don't think they care as far as "academics" whether their kids get a break or not, as long as the free lunches are still there waiting when they decide to come on back.

They know the government will provide free tutors anyway -- it's not going to cost them a dime, they aren't going to help their kids catch up with Sylvan or privately-paid tutors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration