U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 06:44 AM
miu

16,469 posts, read 33,412,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
You do realize that most of the children coming across are Christians from Christian countries, right?

They're also young enough that if they were allowed to stay they'd be much easier to assimilate into American culture.
And who will raise these children? Our foster care system doesn't work for our American children. And who will pick up the tab for raising them? Food, shelter, education through college? And if they stay permanently, later on will we allow them to pick him their families from their home country? Even if Americans adopt them, their first loyalties will be to the parents they left behind, not the American parents that adopted them.

If they end up staying, they should have to pay back the "system" before they can ever get future benefits like welfare, food stamps etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 07:28 AM

31,471 posts, read 14,559,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And who will raise these children? Our foster care system doesn't work for our American children. And who will pick up the tab for raising them? Food, shelter, education through college? And if they stay permanently, later on will we allow them to pick him their families from their home country? Even if Americans adopt them, their first loyalties will be to the parents they left behind, not the American parents that adopted them.

If they end up staying, they should have to pay back the "system" before they can ever get future benefits like welfare, food stamps etc...
I agree and not only that when they reach adulthood they will be able to compete for jobs and college spots against Americans. How Christian can their values be with parents who either deserted them or taught them that breaking the law to get here is A-ok?

Old 08-15-2014, 07:43 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,278,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
There are real people in real danger that we could help and with limited funds or space we have to make difficult decisions. The people crossing the border are facing struggles self inflicted by their government. Almost all of the danger in S. America stems from the drug trade and that can be solved almost overnight. The mid and far east is a different story.
Uh; if those "kids" are in real real danger; let LatAm help them out. My God; the Hondurans have to cross thru 2 or more Spanish speaking countries to get to the US. It's like Mexico HATES Hispanics who ain't "Mexican".

Old 08-15-2014, 07:46 AM

17,279 posts, read 24,957,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
This is from a couple of months ago. Just a reminder of Obama's public reasoning behind allowing this illegal immigration.

Texas feels the strain from rise in Central Americans crossing the border

From the article:

“The impression I get is that they think they’re going to become US citizens automatically. They’re only entitled to a hearing,” said André LeMay, a Franciscan Brother working in the church shelter on Monday. “There’s a huge influx, which I believe is deceiving for these people.”

Looks like that's the problem root of the problem, right there. Changing this perception - mass adverts in these countries, is an ounce of prevention.

I'm sure there are problems in Central America, but if you're truly trying to claim you're fleeing violence, you have to go through a big, prosperous (except for a few regions, but that's just like the US) country: Mexico.

No need to continue on for a thousand more miles to get to the US unless you **expect something **.... its' the same in Europe when "refugees" travel through a dozen countries from their troubled homeland to try to get into the UK.

These people know where the bread is buttered.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:30 PM

4,080 posts, read 4,365,884 times
Best way to stop this invasion dead in its tracks is to have thousands of these children show up at the school districts of the most wealthy cities & towns in the nation. Our elites won't take kindly to seeing their property taxes triple.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:15 PM

20,791 posts, read 41,427,990 times
Quote:
You do realize that most of the children coming across are Christians from Christian countries, right?

They're also young enough that if they were allowed to stay they'd be much easier to assimilate into American culture.
Total crap. We don't WANT them. They can't even speak the language. Their parents are pretty much useless, what kind of kids do you think they will be raising?? Our schools are BEING RUINED because of the drain due to ILLEGAL ESL students. Why do you think those who can afford it are sending their kids to private schools? Watch and educate yourself:

Washington Journal Unaccompanied Immigrant | Video | C-SPAN.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Retired View Post
The 1% will take their money and leave the US for some neutral country and leave the rest of us to fight it out with the illegals and other immigrants for whatever is left over. The rich get richer and the poor is screwed !
That's exactly what will become of this country. The handwriting is on the wall - we will be devolved into a 2nd world nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
That's true. The little bast-rds will go home after they have wrecked this country.
Exactly.

Quote:
Well, the children fleeing their countries generally had nothing to do with the situation at all, nor did they have much to do with fleeing in the first place. I'm sure most of them would have preferred to stay at home with mom and dad than find themselves wandering around a desert alone.

Let's not simplify the situations in Latin America or the Middle East or Africa. Most of the people in all three countries are falling victim to militant extremists while people in Latin america fall victim to militaries drug cartels. Both are in areas with wildly-corrupt governments that often engage in behavior not much different than the insurgents that threaten them.
Total BS, for the most point - and, where it's true, I no longer care. We can't save the world. We can't even take care of ourselves, any longer. Country is already going down the tubes with low wages, unemployment, and homelessness. We don't need more poverty.

Stop believing lying propaganda and take 45 minutes to EDUCATE YOURSELF on how truly detrimental this illegal invasion is.

Washington Journal Unaccompanied Immigrant | Video | C-SPAN.org

Last edited by Ariadne22; 08-15-2014 at 06:32 PM..

Old 08-15-2014, 10:47 PM

9,620 posts, read 12,783,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
What gave you the idea I was speaking about Christians from across the globe? I was just speaking in general about people from the mid and far east. Odds are they aren't christian; I know most Asians aren't Christian. I don't really know who pays for the plane ride for refugee though.

It's just my opinion, but I don't think S. America is comparable to the mid east. The mid east has problems because of religious strife and extremists & the far east has totalitarian regimes, but S. America just has cartels. All the S American governments' have to do is say "these drugs aren't our problems. Our people don't have a drug problem, the Americans do. We are going to legalize it and let the Americans enforce their own laws."

Prior to 2000 Mexico had very little violent crime, but they did not allow the cartels to compete. What they did was allow one cartel to move drugs, but after they changed their stance (due to political party changes) they now have multiple cartels fighting over trade routes.
The middle east and Africa are on the proverbial "other side of the globe." I said this to point out that it makes no sense to want to deny amnesty to a group from one crappy part of the world in favor of a group from another part of the world due to monetary concerns, when it would actually cost more money to fly in those people than give it to the children who are already here and will integrate much more easily to US society.

Your opinions about how to stem the tide of drug cartels are so naive, it's almost cute. "They could just stop it overnight!". No they couldnt dude, many of those cartels are better armed and equipped than their own armies. How effective has our decades-long, multi-billion dollar "war on drugs" that paramilitarized our police forces been at stamping out drug use and the criminal gangs that facilitate it? If the most powerful developed nation in the world can't do it, what makes you think that a developing third world can do it overnight?

You act like roving gangs of murderous cretins with assault rifles aren't a REAL problem unless they are religious zealots. I don't think that it matters whether they guy who abducted and is holding and raping your daughter did it because he thinks he has a divine right to or because he just felt like it and no one can stop him; either way, they're in gangs that operate with impunity and kill off those they feel like killing.

If you have more of an affinity for the Christians in Africa and the middle east than children from Latin America and that's why you think they should come here then that's fine, just say so, because trying to use cost in the discussion just makes it nonsensical.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:03 PM

9,620 posts, read 12,783,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

I never actually said I think they should all get amnesty, and I don't; it's not the US' problem and we simply can't support a hundred thousand kids who don't have parents. We would need to build orphanages all across the US, because therecarent enough foster parents. It would be a massive mess.

I'm more just pointing out the hypocrisy and foolishness of suggesting that we transplant hundreds of thousands of oppressed people from much, much further away because of their religion, on the premise of "cost." It'd be cheaper to institutionalize kids than to subsidize housing for whole families who will also need welfare, adult education, food stamps, extra legal protections such as preferential hiring practices, etc to adapt and assimilate into US society. The christian right in the US and its media outlets champion the situation with Christians in these areas because it plays into the bone-headed narrative of oppression that is a cornerstone of the American protestant/evangelical movement. They bawl their eyes out at being oppressed when their political lobby dwarves that of Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Jews, atheists, humanists, etc combined, and engage in trying to intertwine church and state to suit their sensibilities regardless of how it effects those other groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or