U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-18-2014, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Duluth, Minnesota, USA
7,653 posts, read 14,754,589 times
Reputation: 6644

Advertisements


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXUdozfL7iM

Watching this video reminded me of the need for some serious immigration reform.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-18-2014, 04:19 PM
 
11,497 posts, read 5,511,317 times
Reputation: 9869
America needs immigrants yet refuses to create proper work visas.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2014, 05:17 PM
 
31,498 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Reputation: 8358
I for one do not believe that for just about any job that an American can't be found to do it for a fair wage. Our need for immigrants has demished over the years. Not saying that we shouldn't allow in some but we need to make sure that every able-bodied American is working first.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2014, 02:09 PM
 
24,843 posts, read 31,253,072 times
Reputation: 11427
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXUdozfL7iM

Watching this video reminded me of the need for some serious immigration reform.
Oh, good grief......

I did that work when I was 12.

And it was in a much less modern setting.

What is hard about putting milkers on a cow in a stantion????

Yes......cow poo at the same end.......be careful.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2014, 12:04 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Reputation: 17688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Oh, good grief......

I did that work when I was 12.

And it was in a much less modern setting.

What is hard about putting milkers on a cow in a stantion????

Yes......cow poo at the same end.......be careful.
Me too and with no pay. I got a place to sleep and food.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 11:32 PM
 
3,031 posts, read 2,863,759 times
Reputation: 3367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Oh, good grief......

I did that work when I was 12.

And it was in a much less modern setting.

What is hard about putting milkers on a cow in a stantion????

Yes......cow poo at the same end.......be careful.

I give the illegals points for literally working any job. Desperation does create a humble work force.

However, the "mantra" of "they're only doing the jobs Americans wont" seems a dangerous self fulfilling prophesy. I do remember reading an article here where I live in Orange County, Ca. there are some kids wont even try getting certain jobs because they're now considered "Mexican" jobs. Especially in more affluent areas like where I live.

Nevertheless, just like how you worked a job similar like the one in the video there are plenty of able bodied Americans who would and DO work "the Mexican jobs".

My best friend who has a masters in Technical writing was a maid in a hotel during college in San Diego.
I've worked part time in restaurants all my adult life and have no problem helping out with washing dishes and scraping the muck. Over the years the food service industry has been taken over by people from south of the border. (The last place I worked, the manager confessed to me, he guessed about 1/3 of that particular chain were illegals)
My son who has never had a need for anything and grew up here in Orange County is a part time student and works at a food processing plant. He stinks when he gets home and is dripping with sweat from the furnace he works with. Most of his coworkers are Spanish speaking and he just works with his headphones on and listens to music. A good friend of mine has a son who is learning to be a butcher.

But seems more and more, all over the U.S., there are illegals who are working in "undesirable" jobs like dog food canning, garbage collecting, tedious factory work etc. So if there were no illegals to work these jobs, what...? The U.S. would collapse? A fast food chain might go out of business? Wealthy homeowners would have to buy lawn mowers? What?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2014, 06:52 AM
 
31,498 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Reputation: 8358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I give the illegals points for literally working any job. Desperation does create a humble work force.

However, the "mantra" of "they're only doing the jobs Americans wont" seems a dangerous self fulfilling prophesy. I do remember reading an article here where I live in Orange County, Ca. there are some kids wont even try getting certain jobs because they're now considered "Mexican" jobs. Especially in more affluent areas like where I live.

Nevertheless, just like how you worked a job similar like the one in the video there are plenty of able bodied Americans who would and DO work "the Mexican jobs".

My best friend who has a masters in Technical writing was a maid in a hotel during college in San Diego.
I've worked part time in restaurants all my adult life and have no problem helping out with washing dishes and scraping the muck. Over the years the food service industry has been taken over by people from south of the border. (The last place I worked, the manager confessed to me, he guessed about 1/3 of that particular chain were illegals)
My son who has never had a need for anything and grew up here in Orange County is a part time student and works at a food processing plant. He stinks when he gets home and is dripping with sweat from the furnace he works with. Most of his coworkers are Spanish speaking and he just works with his headphones on and listens to music. A good friend of mine has a son who is learning to be a butcher.

But seems more and more, all over the U.S., there are illegals who are working in "undesirable" jobs like dog food canning, garbage collecting, tedious factory work etc. So if there were no illegals to work these jobs, what...? The U.S. would collapse? A fast food chain might go out of business? Wealthy homeowners would have to buy lawn mowers? What?
The problem is that there are so many illegal aliens working those types of jobs that an employer will not hire an American to do them because they wouldn't fit in with the rest of the crew. Many times they pay them less than a fair wage and there is a language barrier and the employers know that.

If there truly aren't Americans that will do most of those jobs then why don't the employers hire legal immigrants? I think we all know the answer to that one.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2014, 04:40 PM
 
3,533 posts, read 2,171,725 times
Reputation: 1886
This job (milking cows)currently pays about $15/hr in San Diego, at least in my neighborhood. With the drought, there are 30,000 ag jobs lost in the central valley, I wonder how many of the NY farmers bothered to advertise their jobs there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2014, 05:15 PM
 
14,220 posts, read 7,406,947 times
Reputation: 8022
golly gee, how did things get done before illegal aliens did them?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2014, 05:27 PM
 
31,498 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Reputation: 8358
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXUdozfL7iM

Watching this video reminded me of the need for some serious immigration reform.
There is no reform being proposed only amnesty.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top