U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 07:50 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,708,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I think that any legal resident of the US is an 'American'. What we choose to identify ourselves as culturally is up to us. I have Italian friends who say they are 'Latin'. Ok by me. Hispanic friends who say they are 'Latin'. Ok. Whatever....it really doesn't matter to me. I guess I just don't 'get' calling people 'Anglo' who aren't Anglo-Saxon. I understand that you are seperating the 'Anglo' and 'Hispanic' culture, but I don't see why that's necessary. Anglo = ? Hispanic = ? Can you fill that in?
Legal reasons due in part to say, Jose Gonzalez (the folk singer) from Sweden being Anglo despite of Argentinian heritage------yet, the Hispanic kid who entered a spelling bee here in the USA was named David (?) Johansen (Mexican) despite his obvious Scandinavian surname.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2007, 09:55 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,648,295 times
Quote:
I think that any legal resident of the US is an 'American'. What we choose to identify ourselves as culturally is up to us. I have Italian friends who say they are 'Latin'. Ok by me. Hispanic friends who say they are 'Latin'. Ok. Whatever....it really doesn't matter to me. I guess I just don't 'get' calling people 'Anglo' who aren't Anglo-Saxon. I understand that you are seperating the 'Anglo' and 'Hispanic' culture, but I don't see why that's necessary. Anglo = ? Hispanic = ? Can you fill that in?
Once again, I don't like it, either. The word mostly come up in arguments over illegal immigration, and in the associated movements such as LULAC, MEChA, etc., often around a theme of who "owns" the US....or "why anyone should feel compelled to learn English"....particularly since it's not our "official" language.

The terms, as I said, are so inexact and are entirely full of so many "holes" and contradictions that we couldn't begin to address them here. But suffice it to say that many advocates of illegal immigrants really aren't concerned with the welfare of ALL illegals--their agenda is pretty well limited to the rights of MEXICAN illegals, their supposed ancestral "ownership" of the SW USA, and their on-going difficulties with "anglo" culture---which in THEIR case, means EVERYBODY in the US, except them. And because of this huge, all-encompassing categorization, when used this way, the term "anglo" can ONLY be referring to the use of the English language. It's mostly just a very convoluted, roudabout way of making a case that to be an American, you shouldn't feel compelled to learn English (because it's not really important)..and once we've accepted THAT premise, it's only a short step to then introduce the notion that, since we've now "proved" that English is not important in becoming an American, neither is US citizenship. In fact, according to many of these folks, the entire concept of being an American AT ALL is really a non-issue...it just means "whatever you WANT it to mean". This thinking fits in well, of course, if you're trying to squeeze in millions of "new" people by circumventing the system. All you have to do is discredit the 'system', and you've made your case. And in these arguments, the concept of an harsh, unaccepting, judgemental "anglo" culture makes a very handy target to "be against"....ie. "We don't break the law because we're BAD--we break the laws because they're STUPID laws"....

If you feel it doesn't make much sense, include me along with you in that belief..Very few of such "belief systems" lend themselves to much scrutiny--which is the main reason most of the debates get so LOUD. "Loud" often takes the place of "logical"...

Though I don't believe they used the term "anglo", "Hispanic" was also a favorite term used in the admissions system of the huge University of California in recent decades, leading to all sorts of bizarre and comical contradictions as incoming students were "classified"---(those born in Spain were white Europeans...while white Argentinians, Mexican mestizos, Brazilian blacks, and even US-born Mexican-Americans and Puerto Ricans, etc., were all 'Hispanics'....caucasians born in Anchorage or Fairbanks were'White", but an Aleut born in Seattle would be a "native Alaskan"...etc etc etc.) So silly did this stuff become that a number of times, applicants played 'jokes' on the system. like the 8th-generation Scots-descended New Zealander who applied to the UC system as a "Pacific Islander". It worked for several weeks, until he showed up for a personal interview. Admissions officials were not amused...

To the extent that the term "anglo" survives at all, poor a word as it is, its usage is probably a defense against our overwhelming culture of Political Correctness. After all, we CERTAINLY can't use the word "white"---America is far rom being a "white" culture. And really, today, even using the term "American" normally brings a howl of outrage..("what do you mean, 'American'?---EVERYONE in the Western Hemisphere is an American !') etc.....the word "anglo" then, is probably used as a 'code-word', precisely because it's so vague that no one can argue with it....It's 'the culture of the USA'----I guess. Works OK as long as you don't question it too closely.

Last edited by macmeal; 12-25-2007 at 10:04 AM..

Old 12-25-2007, 10:38 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,932,169 times
Quote:
It makes a lot of sense to check the hispanic box when applying for financial aid. I know of a family that is white and did that to get free college for their kids.

Last name no longer matters so the name can be as non-hispanic as it can be -- they can't prove or disprove anything apparently so for Americans to get preferential treatment and in on affirmative action programs, it just takes checking the right box.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It makes a lot of sense to check the hispanic box when applying for financial aid. I know of a family that is white and did that to get free college for their kids.

Last name no longer matters so the name can be a non-hispanic as it can be -- they can't prove or disprove anything apparently so for Americans to get preferential treatment and in on affirmative action programs, it just takes checking the right box.
Our Mach50 is a classic example of the second paragraph; his mother was from Mexico so he considers himself Hispanic-------despite an Irish surname.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:44 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,932,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Our Mach50 is a classic example of the second paragraph; his mother was from Mexico so he considers himself Hispanic-------despite an Irish surname.
I would think it was wrong for white-Americans to check off "hispanic" just to get free money -- but then I knew a wealthy white Mexican woman who got her whole masters degree paid, she is married to a Mexican doctor, lived in Mexico but got a full ride scholarship -- because she is "hispanic".

So it just doesn't seem so wrong for middle class white Americans to try to get in on the free college if upper class Mexicans are doing it.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I would think it was wrong for white-Americans to check off "hispanic" just to get free money -- but then I knew a wealthy white Mexican woman who got her whole masters degree paid, she is married to a Mexican doctor, lived in Mexico but got a full ride scholarship -- because she is "hispanic".

So it just doesn't seem so wrong for middle class white Americans to try to get in on the free college if upper class Mexicans are doing it.
I feel that Affirmative Action should never apply to Hispanics-------there is no such race.

Although A/A is showing signs of dying a quick death........more and more Black people want it gone because it is fast becoming a liability against personal advancement. Translation: is a Black person truly qualified or did he/she have 'help' to cover up perceived drawbacks, rhetorically speaking?

Old 12-26-2007, 01:41 PM

1,644 posts, read 4,024,204 times
Default waiting patiently in line

I wonder if anyone is aware of the situation for professional, experienced law abiding people with job offers waiting for US Visas?
The majority of Green Cards go to people applying for adjustment of status from Non-immigrant visas (a lot of students I assume) and family based applications as opposed to employment based.
At the moment no applications for employment based Green Card applications are being processed, and no-one seems to know when there will be any available.
I understand all of the discussions above, but unless imigration issues are sorted the USA may not find it as easy to recruit professionals from overseas. People will just not be prepared to wait in line for years!

Old 12-26-2007, 01:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,901 times
I'd just like to remind all of you that when you go out to eat at your nice upscale restaraunts, ALL the food that you are stuffing your faces with is prepared by the same people that you are degrading and insulting. Think about that for a second. Give a whole new meaning to Montezuma's Revenge gabachos...! Be careful of who you insult.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:10 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,722,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marisol1130 View Post
I'd just like to remind all of you that when you go out to eat at your nice upscale restaraunts, ALL the food that you are stuffing your faces with is prepared by the same people that you are degrading and insulting. Think about that for a second. Give a whole new meaning to Montezuma's Revenge gabachos...! Be careful of who you insult.
.........is there an echo in here?

Old 12-26-2007, 03:47 PM

2,370 posts, read 6,870,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marisol1130 View Post
Yeah now see...there's the rub... We really only want law abiding immigrants or citizens preparing our food who wouldn't ever think of doing anything illegal to get some revenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration