U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 01:34 PM

419 posts, read 1,808,662 times

Advertisements

More and more States are passing laws against Illegal Immigration but I suspect these are feel good laws to make the public feel that something is being done. In the final analysis the laws will not be enforced much at all. I understand that there has been no one arrested or charged in Oklahoma since the new Anti Illegal Immigration Law was passed a few months ago. Georgia has a new tough anti illegal immigration law but it is not being enforced and more and more illegal immigrants are moving in every day.

I suspect the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals will stop the Arizona Law but in the mean time it will also be quietly ignored.

It is a wink and a nod thing. Big business works closely with the State and Local Officals to see that nothing is really done but every once in a while people will talk about illegal immigration to get re elected.

Last edited by questioner2; 12-23-2007 at 01:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 01:41 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
More and more States are passing laws against Illegal Immigration but I suspect these are feel good laws to make the public feel that something is being done. In the final analysis the laws will not be enforced much at all. I understand that there has been no one arrested or charged in Oklahoma since the new Anti Illegal Immigration Law was passed a few months ago. Georgia has a new tough anti illegal immigration law but it is not being enforced and more and more illegal immigrants are moving in every day.

I suspect the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals will stop the Arizona Law but in the mean time it will also be quietly ignored.

It is a wink and a nod thing. Big business works closely with the local officals to see that nothing is really done but every once in a while people will talk about illegal immigration to get re elected.
In one word: yes.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:57 PM

3,936 posts, read 5,447,388 times
"I understand that there has been no one arrested or charged in Oklahoma since the new Anti Illegal Immigration Law was passed a few months ago."

You can't arrest whats not there, lols.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:52 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
The 9th has made a ruling already.

The Employer Sanctions law goes into effect on Jan 1.

And, I can give you a guarantee that AZ will be enforcing the new law against EMPLOYERS - not, illegal immigrants

Old 12-23-2007, 07:44 PM

9,308 posts, read 25,657,329 times
Considering the law was voted in by such a hefty margin here in Arizona . . . I have a feeling the elected officials will pay attention.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:59 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,016,184 times
and I know of two landlords who have evicted their tenants who could not prove their legality.
Also, more than one employer has replaced their wait staff with new faces who speak our lingo....
I think it is working

Old 12-23-2007, 08:13 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
I believe so. With the national debt over $9 trillion and rising and the housing bubble bursting, there are big economic problems on the horizon.

It's becoming clear that very much greed and fraud was involved in the big housing "boom" and many houses are being foreclosed and many new houses sit empty. That will mean rampant construction of new homes is going to come to a halt. As we all know most illegals are not here picking lettuce -- a great number of them were the low-wage workers for housing construction.

Without jobs -- there's only two things that can be done -- the state figures out what to do with hundreds of thousands of unemployed drywall hangers and painters which means providing them some kind of unemployment handouts or they must leave the state. I don't think Americans are up to any new big tax to provide illegals unemployment handouts.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:17 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Also look at the example of one famous deportee -- Elvira Arellano. No one is suffering by her being back in her own country. Even her own son is adjusting well to being in Mexico.

It's not as though there won't be many happy endings with this. Many Mexicans upon being deported, simply return home to their families and friends, find some work to do and go on with life. Many have children who are thrilled to have parents back home again.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:18 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
and I know of two landlords who have evicted their tenants who could not prove their legality.
Also, more than one employer has replaced their wait staff with new faces who speak our lingo....
I think it is working
Oh well; sucks to be a criminal---------Bleeding Hearts be damned.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:20 PM

9,308 posts, read 25,657,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
I think it is working
Let's all hope and pray this trend continues!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or