Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 12:56 PM

902 posts, read 718,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggjacobsen View Post
Oh sure, I can drag my mom down to the DMV office, wait 2 hours and get her a Virginia ID card. But why? Since WHEN are US citizens required to carry proof of citizenship?

Also, if you see a dozen people walking down the street, can you tell which are citizens and which are not? The Minutemen and other vigilante groups says STOP THEM ALL AND CHECK ID's. Well, that isn't going to happen in my USA.
You can thank yourself and other pro-illegal lovers. These problems and such are the cause of illegals and those that employ them and love them and then they are the first to ***** when drastic measures have to be taken. And, YES, one can tell illegals from legal immigrants and citizens most of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 01:01 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggjacobsen View Post
Oh sure, I can drag my mom down to the DMV office, wait 2 hours and get her a Virginia ID card. But why? Since WHEN are US citizens required to carry proof of citizenship?

Also, if you see a dozen people walking down the street, can you tell which are citizens and which are not? The Minutemen and other vigilante groups says STOP THEM ALL AND CHECK ID's. Well, that isn't going to happen in my USA.
The Virginia State Police as well as the Arlington County and City of Alexandra Police departments can stop you and me and demand to see identification--------I know because I was pulled over and ticketed in the former county ca. 1976.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:40 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,441,300 times
Sure, they can demand it, but you don't have to show it. No where in America are citizens required to carry ID. I keep my wallet in my truck if I am out on my horse, I keep my wallet in my truck if I am out on my bicycle.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:46 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
Sure, they can demand it, but you don't have to show it. No where in America are citizens required to carry ID. I keep my wallet in my truck if I am out on my horse, I keep my wallet in my truck if I am out on my bicycle.
Wrong.

See Larry D. Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada, Humboldt County, et al.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:42 PM

Status of appeal? You might wander through our Constitution and figure out under what article or amendment requiring a citizen to carry identification would fall under. I notice that you use the handle nvexplorer. It has been my experience that those who understand the freedom of the open spaces of Nevada understand Freedom. I am sure there are those who inhabit the various Owl Clubs of Austin or Eureka or Battle Mountain etc, who would argue that the Bill of Rights is a communist plot, I trust you are not a habitue of an Owl Club.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:45 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Status of appeal? You might wander through our Constitution and figure out under what article or amendment requiring a citizen to carry identification would fall under. I notice that you use the handle nvexplorer. It has been my experience that those who understand the freedom of the open spaces of Nevada understand Freedom. I am sure there are those who inhabit the various Owl Clubs of Austin or Eureka or Battle Mountain etc, who would argue that the Bill of Rights is a communist plot, I trust you are not a habitue of an Owl Club.

You realize the Constitution is more a RESTRICTION on what the government can do rather than a set of things it MUST do. THAT is the realm of statutory law.

The question YOU need to ask is, what provision of the Constitution PREVENTS the government from requiring ID.... not what provision of the US Constitution compels it.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:46 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
If you are contacted by a police officer and refuse to produce identification; you can be arrested.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:57 PM

608 posts, read 1,005,008 times
Quote:
"Those who would trade freedom for security deserve neither" Ben Franklin

I find it appalling that any American would consider having to carry "papers" tolerable. We really have become a nation of fear filled whiners.
Well put greatbasinguide.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:58 PM

How curious;
Quote:
Hibel, He took the case all the way to the Supreme Court. He lost, in a 5-4 decision.

"Joining Kennedy's opinion were Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist and Justices Sandra Day O'Connor, Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas. Justices John Paul Stevens, Stephen G. Breyer, David H. Souter and Ruth Bader Ginsburg dissented."

By bizarre coincidence, the same five justices who ruled against our right to privacy are the same five who appointed popular and electoral loser Bush to be president

Old 01-01-2008, 09:02 PM

I am one of the lucky ones, I'll be dead soon enough, you youngsters will get to see your once great country sink into the slime;
Quote:
Ave Caesar

No bitterness: our ancestors did it.
They were only ignorant and hopeful, they wanted freedom but wealth too.
Their children will learn to hope for a Caesar.
Or rather--for we are not aquiline Romans but soft mixed colonists--
Some kindly Sicilian tyrant who'll keep
Poverty and Carthage off until the Romans arrive,
We are easy to manage, a gregarious people,
Full of sentiment, clever at mechanics, and we love our luxuries.

Robinson Jeffers
Quote:
Be Angry At The Sun

That public men publish falsehoods
Is nothing new. That America must accept
Like the historical republics corruption and empire
Has been known for years.

Be angry at the sun for setting
If these things anger you. Watch the wheel slope and turn,
They are all bound on the wheel, these people, those warriors.
This republic, Europe, Asia.

Observe them gesticulating,
Observe them going down. The gang serves lies, the passionate
Man plays his part; the cold passion for truth
Hunts in no pack.

You are not Catullus, you know,
To lampoon these crude sketches of Caesar. You are far
From Dante's feet, but even farther from his dirty
Political hatreds.

Let boys want pleasure, and men
Struggle for power, and women perhaps for fame,
And the servile to serve a Leader and the dupes to be duped.
Yours is not theirs.

Robinson Jeffers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration