U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 01:54 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
So, low end low paying jobs are lost. How many Electrical Engineers, architects, college professors, computer engineers, airline pilots, Website designers have lost their jobs.

A hundred years ago men were complaining about the horseless carriages taking away good jobs, not nearly the need for manure shovelers, harness makers, farriers.

Saddle making was a good and honorable skilled job. Not much market for saddle makers anymore.

Times change, needs change, if you are not willing to change you may go right under the bus.

As far as any meaningful change to immigration policy, it will happen when the oligarchs that run this country want it to happen, not because of the whining by the powerless citizenry.
As individuals we may be weak, as a united citizenry---------look out!

The juggernaut is rolling as we speak.

Besides: those 'Americans' who knowingly hire multitudes of illegal immigrants are increasingly being looked upon as traitors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 02:41 PM

9,308 posts, read 25,657,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Besides: those 'Americans' who knowingly hire multitudes of illegal immigrants are increasingly being looked upon as traitors.
and RIGHTFULLY SO, ArizonaBear.

They certainly are not loyal to and/or respectful of this country!

Old 12-24-2007, 03:11 PM

3,589 posts, read 2,972,613 times
I haven't, but I don't work in service or construction which are the major areas of employment for illegal aliens.

My father is a draftsman and has owned his own business for decades; he deals with a lot of contractors/subcontractors and has seen many friends driven out of business by people hiring illegals. Needless to say he's strongly anti-illegal.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:12 PM

751 posts, read 844,905 times
Sorry but only incompetent people have their jobs stolen by people who do not have even papers to work legally. Have you ever heard of education?

Old 12-24-2007, 03:14 PM

3,589 posts, read 2,972,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Sorry but only incompetent people have their jobs stolen by people who do not have even papers to work legally. Have you ever heard of education?
So...you're saying that people who work in landscaping, construction, etc. are incompetent and uneducated people who deserve to have their jobs stolen by illegals who only get work because they undercut every bid from a legitimate contractor?

That's not only BS, it's insulting to every person who performs manual labor for any reason. Yet I bet you call yourself a liberal.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:18 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
The pro illegal crowd are becoming more and more shrill due to the hammer coming down faster it seems

And; I consider myself to be a Liberal as well, for patriotic Americans.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:59 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,016,184 times
Quote:
Now I have heard the comment of a total and absolute, grade a............

That is such a trite, uncaring, mean, spiteful, arrogant, and ignorant statement
and this poster should be ashamed .
probably not an American anyway.

Back to the original OP.
My wifes best friend, Anita. Meat packing plant line worker in Guymon, Oklahoma.
She along with most of the regulars lost their job due to wage down sizing with the influx of illegals in Guymon.
I trust my spelling is adequate so the spelling, grammer, nazia dont attack me.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:24 PM

2,257 posts, read 3,453,686 times
The problem isnt individual jobs stolen. The problem is illegals working for slave wages at the low end of the wage scale driveing down all wages. We want Americans to be paid what a fair American labor market bears. They sent my job to Canada and I know personally the Machinist that makes the Valve body I used to make for Allsion transmission. Fine, git the he!! out of the US but you cant have your cake and eat it. Slam the door on foreign labor, H1Bs and fine the ever loving dog snot out of any company caught hiring illegals.

A rising tide lifts all boats

Old 12-24-2007, 04:52 PM

1,900 posts, read 1,706,920 times
Quote:
Besides: those 'Americans' who knowingly hire multitudes of illegal immigrants are increasingly being looked upon as traitors
This statement would be more believable if those who partake of the products produced in part by illegal labor would not partake. You can start by not buying wine, vegetables, fruit, meat. A boycott of products produced in part by illegal labor should be considered a fine thing to do by the whiners.

Now, this statement
Quote:
I think the term incompetent is not accurate, however, if you hold a job that can be replaced by foreigners with no more than a 6th grade education, I think that you likely made a few bad choices along the way.

And this statement;

Quote:
We want Americans to be paid what a fair American labor market bears.
The cost of labor in America is why much of what you can by is made overseas. Americans have priced themselves out of jobs. A reduction in wages might bring jobs back to this country.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:03 PM

2,257 posts, read 3,453,686 times
I will flip burgers for $15 an hour if thats what it takes to buy chinese made at walmart.

"Would you like to supersize your order sir"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration