U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-29-2007, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,357,433 times
Reputation: 4893

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I read a study the other day and I'll have to try to find it again. It claimed that less than 5% of all illegal aliens in the U.S. are field workers. The other 95% are mainly in the hotel, restaurant, construction, and various types of fabrication (factory) fields.
Thank you - if you can find the study it would be good for ALL to see -

I believe the percentages you cited are correct - an therein lies the issue -

I recently saw one proposal, controversial to be sure, but, it was to supplement any loss, if there is one, of field workers with prison labor -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2007, 08:22 AM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,800 posts, read 7,686,811 times
Reputation: 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Thank you - if you can find the study it would be good for ALL to see -

I believe the percentages you cited are correct - an therein lies the issue -

I recently saw one proposal, controversial to be sure, but, it was to supplement any loss, if there is one, of field workers with prison labor -
I personally think that using prisoners in the field is a splendid idea. Why should my tax dollars continue to support their three hots and a cot for the duration of their sentence?

Let them give something back. A little hard work in the field never hurt anyone. I spent an entire Texas summer (100 + degree days with 200% humidity) picking cantelopes, squash, and tomatoes between my junior and senior years of high school and lived to tell about it. My mother said it would build my character--all it really built was a good tan and blistered hands, but it didn't kill me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2007, 08:37 AM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,789,466 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I read a study the other day and I'll have to try to find it again. It claimed that less than 5% of all illegal aliens in the U.S. are field workers. The other 95% are mainly in the hotel, restaurant, construction, and various types of fabrication (factory) fields.
This is old so i imagine it has increased by now

Growers argue that, despite employer sanctions and high
unemployment rates among US farm workers, at least 30 to 50 percent
of their seasonal workers are unauthorized
, so that effective curbs
on illegal immigration would lead to farm labor shortages.

http://migration.ucdavis.edu/rmn/more.php?id=70_0_3_0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2007, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,357,433 times
Reputation: 4893
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
This is old so i imagine it has increased by now

Growers argue that, despite employer sanctions and high
unemployment rates among US farm workers, at least 30 to 50 percent
of their seasonal workers are unauthorized, so that effective curbs
on illegal immigration would lead to farm labor shortages.

http://migration.ucdavis.edu/rmn/more.php?id=70_0_3_0
That was a 13 year old article

The H2 visas are readily available to ag

No need to hire illegals

End of story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2007, 08:53 AM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,789,466 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
That was a 13 year old article

The H2 visas are readily available to ag

No need to hire illegals

End of story
B.s the h2 visas are a nightmare. That is why a new guestworker is needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2007, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,357,433 times
Reputation: 4893
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
B.s the h2 visas are a nightmare. That is why a new guestworker is needed.
No they aren't - the employer must try to hire citizens / legals first.

I personally know several ag employers in So. Cal - they use the H2's all the time without it being a "nightmare"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2007, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,357,433 times
Reputation: 4893
I support using prison labor for field work -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2007, 09:01 AM
 
902 posts, read 505,293 times
Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
No they aren't - the employer must try to hire citizens / legals first.

I personally know several ag employers in So. Cal - they use the H2's all the time without it being a "nightmare"
Look, the bottom line here is that some people love the illegals and could care less about the citizens of this country. They do so much care for the illegals that they will state mistatements about visas and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2007, 06:49 PM
 
69 posts, read 226,248 times
Reputation: 61
Default Many American/Legal Immigrants are Losing Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
I keep hearing the argument about uneducated illegal immigrants stealing our jobs. So i want to know how many people here have lost their jobs to illegal immigrants. If so, what kind of job was it?
I personally know at least 11 or 12 construction workers ranging from electricians, drywallers, tile installers, & carpenters who've all lost their jobs due to illegals. Illegal electricians have undercut union American electricians by 20%, according to my research. Most of the other construction trades are cut by about 50%.

Some jerk on this forum said that if construction companies were not able to hire illegals, then houses would cost the American people far more. No, the cost of homes are controlled by supply & demand in any particular area. If the construction company can get the workers for far less, the construction company just makes bigger profits. When are the American people going to stop listening to the hype & lies & sob stories about the poor illegal immigrants and realize they're being ripped off on so many levels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2007, 07:02 PM
 
Location: CA Coast
1,900 posts, read 1,706,273 times
Reputation: 350
Quote:
Look, the bottom line here is that some people love the illegals and could care less about the citizens of this country. They do so much care for the illegals that they will state mistatements about visas and such.
Another classic statement.

Quote:
I personally know at least 11 or 12 construction workers ranging from electricians, drywallers, tile installers, & carpenters who've all lost their jobs due to illegals. Illegal electricians have undercut union American electricians by 20%, according to my research. Most of the other construction trades are cut by about 50%.
I figure, if I had a job that could be done by a foreigner with no more than a 6th grade education I ought change jobs. Find something that will challenge me and make me some money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top