U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 10:23 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Low end?

I made $35.00 an hour plus retirement, insurance and bonuses.

I wouldn't exactly call that picking fruit, but then again, I guess that to someone of your caliber, $72,500 a year is nothing more than pocket change. However, for me--the drop from $72,500 a year to waitresses wages was kind of a letdown. I lost my truck, my house, and my kids no longer saw their mom on a regular basis because I was too busy working a day shift as a 911 operator and a night shift as a bartender in order to keep a roof over their heads.

But hey, I was nothing more than an unskilled American working a low end occupation anyway, so who the hell cares?
Let the pro illegal sympathizers carry on; the hammer coming down against the illegal immigrants will take out the former as well. It is called giving 'em enough rope to hang their collective selves via the legal system.

The tide is turning.

Every pro illegal immigrants 'rights' protest is alienating more and more patriotic Americans. It is getting pretty bad when Liberals are starting to man the ramparts against the illegal enablers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 11:48 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,015,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
No Americans lose jobs to Mexicans. None! No Americans want to do that work anyway. We do not wish to hot roof in the summer, clean motel rooms, wash dishes or do construction labour jobs.
Sorry to burst your fantasy bubble
I have worked on hot roof jobs in my youth, in August In oklahoma.
I have done construction work, in July , In Oklahoma,
I have turned wrenches, in my back yard, for a buck on the side, just to feed my kids.
And all of that was when Americans were doing those jobs that no American would want to do.
I also humped a pack and a 16, in the bonnies, in the monsoon for way way less wage than the illegals would work for today.
My Grandfather and my Uncle were Iron workers, and brother dont try to tell a iron worker its not tough, dangerous, hot work.
My FIL was a teamster when truck drivers were considered the knights of the open road and they didn't drive shoddy equipment.
Ive stacked tires, stocked grocery, loaded trucks, cut lawns, and tore down old homes before I finally made a large upgrade in employment.
Again, sorry to burst the bubble but an American WILL work at almost any job to make a buck.
I absolutely cannot believe that anyone would believe the drivel of the national government and the president that we wont work.

Just who the hell built this country. You??? Yeah right

Old 12-25-2007, 06:45 AM

902 posts, read 505,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
Sorry to burst your fantasy bubble
I have worked on hot roof jobs in my youth, in August In oklahoma.
I have done construction work, in July , In Oklahoma,
I have turned wrenches, in my back yard, for a buck on the side, just to feed my kids.
And all of that was when Americans were doing those jobs that no American would want to do.
I also humped a pack and a 16, in the bonnies, in the monsoon for way way less wage than the illegals would work for today.
My Grandfather and my Uncle were Iron workers, and brother dont try to tell a iron worker its not tough, dangerous, hot work.
My FIL was a teamster when truck drivers were considered the knights of the open road and they didn't drive shoddy equipment.
Ive stacked tires, stocked grocery, loaded trucks, cut lawns, and tore down old homes before I finally made a large upgrade in employment.
Again, sorry to burst the bubble but an American WILL work at almost any job to make a buck.
I absolutely cannot believe that anyone would believe the drivel of the national government and the president that we wont work.

Just who the hell built this country. You??? Yeah right
You have to understand that the Mexicans somehow have been told that our country would end if it weren't for them. They think that they are the end all to be all and think that they built this country. It is called ignorance and lack of education and also one other thing and that hate of our country.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
You have to understand that the Mexicans somehow have been told that our country would end if it weren't for them. They think that they are the end all to be all and think that they built this country. It is called ignorance and lack of education and also one other thing and that hate of our country.
Part of the problem with many Mexicans is they are still whining over losing half of their land (which they held for less than 30 years) over 150 years ago------never mind that the Hispanics flagrantly stole the land from the Aztecs.

Yet; many other groups were victimized far worse-------Jews come to mind less than 70 years ago yet today they are a cultural powerhouse.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:04 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,789,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
This statement would be more believable if those who partake of the products produced in part by illegal labor would not partake. You can start by not buying wine, vegetables, fruit, meat. A boycott of products produced in part by illegal labor should be considered a fine thing to do by the whiners.

Now, this statement

I think the term incompetent is not accurate, however, if you hold a job that can be replaced by foreigners with no more than a 6th grade education, I think that you likely made a few bad choices along the way.

And this statement;

The cost of labor in America is why much of what you can by is made overseas. Americans have priced themselves out of jobs. A reduction in wages might bring jobs back to this country.
Great statement. Outsourcing has done a whole lot of damage than illegal immigrants "taking jobs" but i don't see anyone whinning about it on here. I'll rather have our jobs stay here than go overseas. There are a lot of hypocrites who criticize employers and call them traitors but yet they buy products that these so called "traitors" sell.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Great statement. Outsourcing has done a whole lot of damage than illegal immigrants "taking jobs" but i don't see anyone whinning about it on here. I'll rather have our jobs stay here than go overseas. There are a lot of hypocrites who criticize employers and call them traitors but yet they buy products that these so called "traitors" sell.
Hold on there a minute.

No reasonable person can be expected to determine the source of each and every good/service in the chain from farms/mines, etc. to the end consumer.

Using that flawed reasoning; ALL people who are not 100% survivalists are traitors!

Old 12-25-2007, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
This statement would be more believable if those who partake of the products produced in part by illegal labor would not partake. You can start by not buying wine, vegetables, fruit, meat. A boycott of products produced in part by illegal labor should be considered a fine thing to do by the whiners.

Now, this statement

I think the term incompetent is not accurate, however, if you hold a job that can be replaced by foreigners with no more than a 6th grade education, I think that you likely made a few bad choices along the way.

And this statement;

The cost of labor in America is why much of what you can by is made overseas. Americans have priced themselves out of jobs. A reduction in wages might bring jobs back to this country.
Great statement. The whiners want to have their cake and eat it to.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:12 AM

751 posts, read 844,535 times
This thread is ridiculous. Like I explained before, what illegals are doing is nothing more than Labor Economics. The theory goes like, whosoever is willing to supply their labor at the lowest cost will meet the demand of the employer consequently lowering the equilibrium price and getting the job .Other than the fact that they are illegal, there is really nothing "illegal" about what they are doing.

Labor markets are by definition dynamic and evolving. Basically, it is up to the employee to get more education and upgrade his/her skills in order to stay competitive. From a business perspective, nothing can be more attractive than finding hard working labor at a lower cost since labor is by far the biggest business operational expense and it affects profitability more than any other single factor.

Computer programmers for example, they might have started learning COBOL but because the language became obsolete, they had to move on, they might have learned C, then C++ consequently Java, I am sure now many had to learn SQL. If I had no education and some illegal "took" my job, I would probably get more specialized training and move on to an occupation where more money can be made due to the very specialized nature of the occupation.

Being a firm believer in paradigm shift, I truly believe that having your "job stolen" should be an incentive for people to better themselves and acquire new skills. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of experience in business and finance and if you are not an attractive employee, we will simply not hire you!! Also, complainers are not welcome here!!

Our company actively recruits people that can bring specialized skills to the enterprise, a can do attitude and people that are willing to grow with our company. A person that does not have any desire to grow, learn and upgrade their skills as we step into a global economy will simply not make it in this dynamic business world.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
This thread is ridiculous. Like I explained before, what illegals are doing is nothing more than Labor Economics. The theory goes like, whoever is willing to supply their labor at the lowest cost will meet the demand of the employer consequently lowering the equilibrium price and getting the job .Other than the fact that they are illegal, there is really nothing "illegal" about what they are doing.

Labor markets by definition are dynamic and evolving. Basically, it is up to the employee to get more education and upgrade his/her skills in order to stay competitive. From a business perspective, nothing can be more attractive than finding hard working labor at a lower cost since labor is by far the biggest business operational expense and it affects profitability more than any other single factor.

Computer programmers for example, they might have started learning COBOL but because the language became obsolete, they had to move on, they might have learned C, then C++ consequently Java, I am sure now many had to learn SQL. If I had no education and some illegal "took" my job, I would probably get more specialized training and move on to an occupation where more money can be made due to the very specialized nature of the occupation.

Being a firm believer in paradigm shift, I truly believe that having your "job stolen" should be an incentive for people to better themselves and acquire new skills. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of experience in business and finance and if you are not an attractive employee, we will simply not hire you!! Also, complainers are not welcome here!!

Our company actively recruits people that can bring specialized skills to the enterprise, a can do attitude and people that are willing to grow with our company. A person that does not have any desire to grow, learn and upgrade their skills as we step into a global economy will simply not make it in this dynamic business world.
Well said.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
This thread is ridiculous. Like I explained before, what illegals are doing is nothing more than Labor Economics. The theory goes like, whosoever is willing to supply their labor at the lowest cost will meet the demand of the employer consequently lowering the equilibrium price and getting the job .Other than the fact that they are illegal, there is really nothing "illegal" about what they are doing.

Labor markets by definition are dynamic and evolving. Basically, it is up to the employee to get more education and upgrade his/her skills in order to stay competitive. From a business perspective, nothing can be more attractive than finding hard working labor at a lower cost since labor is by far the biggest business operational expense and it affects profitability more than any other single factor.

And if here in Arizona; come Jan 1st, your company would lose its business license for the second offense of knowingly hiring even one illegal immigrant.

Beware of disgruntled employees who may decide to rat you out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration