U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 12:28 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,680,005 times
Default How many here have had their jobs stolen

I keep hearing the argument about uneducated illegal immigrants stealing our jobs. So i want to know how many people here have lost their jobs to illegal immigrants. If so, what kind of job was it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 12:31 PM

25,100 posts, read 23,633,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
I keep hearing the argument about uneducated illegal immigrants stealing our jobs. So i want to know how many people here have lost their jobs to illegal immigrants. If so, what kind of job was it?
Many service industry jobs - including those in tourism, and food service

As an example, when several McDonalds were raided not too long ago, ICE detained over 50 illegal immigrants working there. Those jobs became vacant.

They were filled, within 2 days, by LEGAL residents and citizens who were only too happy to work -

Old 12-24-2007, 12:44 PM

4,805 posts, read 5,277,073 times
Sign Industry - design work is now exported to Phillipines while the fabrication and installation of signage--the craft my family has been in and honed to perfection for over 100 years--is done by illegal aliens working for seven to eight dollars an hour. I worked for a large sign company in Los Angeles as a project manager (the only "job" in the sign industry left for experienced Americans). Not a person in the shop (about 75 employees) spoke English save for the foreman. The hiring practices were a sort of don't ask, don't tell situation.

And people wonder why these channel letters and sign cans short out and start fires months after they're installed.....

Old 12-24-2007, 12:53 PM

8,241 posts, read 10,162,708 times
I think that among middle to upper middle class Americans, the jobs being 'stolen' are through outsourcing. In Austin, a 'tech' city, Dell and others close entire development teams and outsource that work to India and China. They do get what they pay for, as some jobs are starting to come back.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:00 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,680,005 times
I wanted to know how many people PERSONALLY lost a job to an illegal immigrant? Or even if you know anyone PERSONALLY who did.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:07 PM

4,805 posts, read 5,277,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
I wanted to know how many people PERSONALLY lost a job to an illegal immigrant? Or even if you know anyone PERSONALLY who did.
Me...along with:

Three uncles. My grandfather and father both died after retirement and were saved the humiliation of being underbid by shops employing illegals. A nearly full generation of male cousins who were all brought up in this industry with my sister and me as the "rogue" women who learned and worked right along side of them. My sister is still struggling in the industry in central California and is able to survive as long as she doesn't venture back into electrical signage.

It's ironic. I spent all of my twenties just struggling to be accepted as a competent fabricator and installer in a male dominated industry only to be bounced out by illegal aliens who will work for 1/3 the wage of a journeyman sign installer with none of the experience, capability, or dedication to a craft that years of working in this industry brings to the job.

So...that numbers approximately 23 people in my immediate family alone. Probably not good enough, eh? Look in the phone book in any decent sized city under Signs. You can bet that the majority of the large shops now employ illegal aliens to do the work that Americans have done for generations. Considering that most large fabrication and/or installation sign shops employ between 25 to 200 people to do those jobs, perhaps by doing the math, you can figure out just how many Americans in the sign industry have lost their jobs to illegal aliens.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:21 PM

7,842 posts, read 15,408,900 times
Damn shame, Kele!

Something has definitely got to be done and the sooner the better!

Old 12-24-2007, 01:34 PM

14,825 posts, read 16,890,095 times
Well my best friend, who is a legal hispanic who is fluent in english, lost his electrician job b/c his boss could hire an illegal at one third of my friend's cost.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:38 PM

21,157 posts, read 25,723,002 times
Kele and Alanboy395: there will be justice--------trust me.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:50 PM

1,900 posts, read 119,836 times
So, low end low paying jobs are lost. How many Electrical Engineers, architects, college professors, computer engineers, airline pilots, Website designers have lost their jobs.

A hundred years ago men were complaining about the horseless carriages taking away good jobs, not nearly the need for manure shovelers, harness makers, farriers.

Saddle making was a good and honorable skilled job. Not much market for saddle makers anymore.

Times change, needs change, if you are not willing to change you may go right under the bus.

As far as any meaningful change to immigration policy, it will happen when the oligarchs that run this country want it to happen, not because of the whining by the powerless citizenry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration