Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2014, 08:32 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Significantly outnumbered and more so with the march of time. What else?
Totally agreed, and the new demographic trends will be overwhemingly anti-Caucasian at the ballot box.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:38 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Yeah but this isn't new- many of the first professional skateboarders in CA were Hispanic(Tony Alva, Steve Caballero, Tommy Guerrero, Stacy Peralta). Also, Hispanics have been involved in rock since the 50s and punk since the 70s.

We've already interacted and been involved in many things.

I grew up in the 80s hanging out with surfers, skaters, punks etc...there were tons of Mexican-Americans doing this.

I hate that projected idea that all Hispanics in CA grew up the same or act the same, or that we try to 'separate' from Whites. That is BS.
There is a sense of invisibility when it comes to the cultural contributions of many Californians of Mexican/Latino backgrounds. It is true in social activism (how many Californians are aware of mendez v. Westminster, one of a handful of cases in OC that desegregated schools in California years before Brown V. BOARD?), or pop culture...like punk/rock music, skateboarding, Hollywood, etc. We have a long history here, and it all gets lost in the noise of illegal immigration, as if we are all new comers with no claims or roots in the state. Smh.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:42 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,054,362 times
I think the 2000 Census for California and Los Angeles was the only recorded time when demographics were at an equal balance with no majority. I'm mainly talking about all races that also includes Hispanics among them.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Indeed, the US Government has been known to screw up racial definitions overtime.
Yeah, lots of politics at play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
You know what that makes them? *American* !! I have a huge mix of different genotypes via my ancestors, who came from different countries. One (small) branch was in New Hampshire before 1650. Another (larger) branch only came to the U.S. after 1870. I've always considered myself American - the result of the melting pot. I don't subscribe to any of the "insert adjective here"-American names for myself - I am just "American".
I completely agree with you. Nonetheless, we must recognize that the hyphenated American arose from a mainstream anglo culture that initially refused to accept them as Americans. There was a time in our history when AMERICANS several generations in of Mexican/hispanic descent were deported to Mexico, a foreign land to them, due to racist policies. We can't forget the context from which these hyphenated identities arose...it isnt as simple as pride or unwillingness to integrate into mainstream society (how could they when society wouldnt let them no matter how American they were - including serving in several wars?)

Old 09-08-2014, 08:51 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
There is a sense of invisibility when it comes to the cultural contributions of many Californians of Mexican/Latino backgrounds. It is true in social activism (how many Californians are aware of mendez v. Westminster, one of a handful of cases in OC that desegregated schools in California years before Brown V. BOARD?), or pop culture...like punk/rock music, skateboarding, Hollywood, etc. We have a long history here, and it all gets lost in the noise of illegal immigration, as if we are all new comers with no claims or roots in the state. Smh.
Yeah but sadder is when young Mexican-Americans themselves BELIEVE that we are 'new,' know no history, and subscribe to this view.

This is why education is important- education and awareness are power.

Last edited by Count David; 09-08-2014 at 09:08 PM..

Old 09-08-2014, 08:59 PM

It isnt taught to them in their schools. They learn about the treaty of Guadalupe, and then Mexicans only really get mentioned again due to Cesar Chavez, and then illegal immigration. Then people wonder why we need Chicano/Latino studies. If we dont teach each other our history here, who will?

Old 09-08-2014, 09:09 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
It isnt taught to them in their schools. They learn about the treaty of Guadalupe, and then Mexicans only really get mentioned again due to Cesar Chavez, and then illegal immigration. Then people wonder why we need Chicano/Latino studies. If we dont teach each other our history here, who will?
I honestly don't think I ever learned about Cesar Chavez in school.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:51 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,042,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I honestly don't think I ever learned about Cesar Chavez in school.
Neither did I. But then I'm probably older than you. I learned about Cesar Chavez because of the strikes and boycotts, as I was alive at the time.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:01 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
Neither did I. But then I'm probably older than you. I learned about Cesar Chavez because of the strikes and boycotts, as I was alive at the time.
Yeah, anything I know about him I learned on my own. I graduated high school in 2001, FWIW.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:20 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,042,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Yeah, anything I know about him I learned on my own. I graduated high school in 2001, FWIW.
I didn't eat grapes for years as a kid, because of the (voluntary, personal) boycott. (Boycotting salad was no big deal for me as a kid )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration