U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 01:30 PM

72,666 posts, read 64,140,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
Well... We have obama they have Putin.

Putin cares - obama plays golf

Putin is a genius - obama is
Is this sarcasm? I hope so. Putin, a genius?

Obama plays golf. Putin migrates with cranes, and plays other silly, macho games. Back to the cult of personality in Russia, eh? Those days were supposed to be long gone, but Putin has revived the "tradition".

Old 09-13-2014, 02:49 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,550,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Oh, Americans will do those jobs but they will demand significantly more money to do them. That's why businesses love to import cheap immigrant labor. BTW you could end illegal immigration tomorrow if you just had draconian penalties and a good way to check on which businesses were hiring illegals. Naturally, big business doesn't like that idea and they'd fight it tooth and nail just like how they currently use their lobbyists to prevent enforcement of labor laws or at least to make both enforcement and the penalty as weak as possible.
I hear this comment all the time, and just do not see it in real life. "Americans will do it." "It is because the illegals get paid a misery."

I worked in the food industry for years- business owners paid their workers 8-10$/hr to do the cleaning/wash dishing/prepping. How much more can a business owner pay? Sounds decent to me. Americans were hired, and would quit after a few weeks or months. Or, would call in sick often. Business owners don't just want cheap labor, they need dependable labor. Restaurants cannot afford to have staff quitting all the time or missing work.

I also worked with the homeless and jobless population- the amount of excuses as to why they couldn't/wouldn't hold a job(My boss didn't like me, I can't stand for a long time, there's no work) started to sound repetitive and ridiculous. Excuses, excuses, excuses.

When I would suggest that they clean houses, they would look at me like I was crazy. Even though I am highly educated, if it came down to it I would clean houses! Hey, if you need a job, you need a job. I currently know a law student who is doing just that.

Americans don't want to accept that some Americans just don't want to work, plain and simple. Cheap labor is not the only reason these workers get hired.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post

When I would suggest that they clean houses, they would look at me like I was crazy. Even though I am highly educated, if it came down to it I would clean houses! Hey, if you need a job, you need a job. I currently know a law student who is doing just that.

Americans don't want to accept that some Americans just don't want to work, plain and simple. Cheap labor is not the only reason these workers get hired.
A friend of mine used to own an art gallery that was a fixture in her community. After struggling through the several recessions we've seen since the late 90's/2000's, she finally gave up a couple of years ago. She's now cleaning houses and doing yardwork, and she loves it! She loves the relative flexibility of the hours and the independence.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:04 PM

830 posts, read 909,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Is this sarcasm? I hope so. Putin, a genius?

Obama plays golf. Putin migrates with cranes, and plays other silly, macho games. Back to the cult of personality in Russia, eh? Those days were supposed to be long gone, but Putin has revived the "tradition".

You know nothing about Putin other than what the American media tells you. In other words, you are a sheep following a herd of lions.

Probably the same person who voted for obummer twice, and still swears that he is the most awesome thing since sliced bread.

Putin has his flaws, but he is a much better president and leader than obummer could ever be.

Cult personality in Russia? Um..... The US is one of the most brainwashed countries I have ever stepped foot in.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:10 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,282,218 times
Agreed. Hispanic ain't a race. Even many Mexican citizens are def "white"; especially the legal aliens but, since most of them DON'T look the part, they're pegged as anglo whites till they start talking.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
You know nothing about Putin other than what the American media tells you. In other words, you are a sheep following a herd of lions.
And you are....?

btw, I never voted for Obama. So much for assumptions and stereotypes.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:00 AM

830 posts, read 909,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And you are....?

btw, I never voted for Obama. So much for assumptions and stereotypes.
No. I am a self-thinking individual. You are speaking on Putin like you know something about him, other than what the western media says to ultimately demonize him.

I respect a guy that does not back down, a leader with a backbone, a president who actually cares about his citizens. Russians love the guy, and he is their president. Yes, they do things differently - but that is not to say it is the wrong way. Different culture, different people.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:24 AM

132 posts, read 184,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine&Whiskey View Post
I have a great solution to increase the Caucasian population. What if our government gave us the same benefits that blacks and Hispanics get when they have kids. The first thing would be not having to pay for childbirth and second we should get monthly government checks to help pay for their food as well regardless if we have good jobs or not. This would be fair no? Why should whites be punished for being responsible?
When I lived in Marin county (one of the wealthiest counties in the U.S. , one county north of San Francisco) I was in the job center at the social services office (in Novato). Over in the building where one would apply for benefits the place was full of Hispanics, much more so than whites by a wide margin, many of them had 2, 3 kids in tow.

I was thinking the other day, what if Americans just said "well, we don't want to fund the immigrants anymore". What would happen? I mean, maybe they'd rather take that money and save it for their kids' education, or save for retirement, or invest in mutual funds, etc etc. Collectively it's hundreds of millions of dollars that the Americans are spending for programs for immigrants
I guess the Americans are forced to pay tax dollars that they earned, in order to fund social programs, whether they like it or not. What I can't see is- why should this be so?

Old 09-14-2014, 02:01 PM

23,605 posts, read 30,327,697 times
Quote:
The US is one of the most brainwashed countries I have ever stepped foot in.
Is it then safe to assume that sometime in the near future you intend to step foot out of it?

Old 09-14-2014, 02:07 PM

11,435 posts, read 15,943,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Your premise is true. Your conclusion, not so much.

The lesser educated and especially immigrant minorities do indeed have a higher birth rate. That may well be the USA's best hope for survival. See here for birth rates of countries around the world. We need more human beings in the USA who share our values to maintain our way of life.

Why?!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration