U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 06:33 PM

10,315 posts, read 6,375,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Your premise is true. Your conclusion, not so much.

The lesser educated and especially immigrant minorities do indeed have a higher birth rate. That may well be the USA's best hope for survival. See here for birth rates of countries around the world. We need more human beings in the USA who share our values to maintain our way of life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post

Why?!!!
Seriously. Survival my arse. What is needed is fewer people of any and all kinds.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:18 PM

12,840 posts, read 23,199,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlicht View Post
When I lived in Marin county (one of the wealthiest counties in the U.S. , one county north of San Francisco) I was in the job center at the social services office (in Novato). Over in the building where one would apply for benefits the place was full of Hispanics, much more so than whites by a wide margin, many of them had 2, 3 kids in tow.

I was thinking the other day, what if Americans just said "well, we don't want to fund the immigrants anymore". What would happen? I mean, maybe they'd rather take that money and save it for their kids' education, or save for retirement, or invest in mutual funds, etc etc. Collectively it's hundreds of millions of dollars that the Americans are spending for programs for immigrants
I guess the Americans are forced to pay tax dollars that they earned, in order to fund social programs, whether they like it or not. What I can't see is- why should this be so?
12% of the federal budget goes to "safety net programs". That is 12% of the budget for all of those who receive it, not just immigrants or Americans.

We spend 19% of the total budget on defense.

You have to keep in mind, not all Hispanics are immigrants, and not all immigrants are Hispanic. I am Hispanic, and not an immigrant. Nor would you catch me dead in a social services office.

If it weren't for these relatively cheap safety net programs, the national poverty level would be 29%, nearly double the already horrible 16%.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be too proud to live in a nation where 3 out of 10 are in poverty.

Policy Basics: Where Do Our Federal Tax Dollars Go? — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/...et_2012_4.html

Old 09-14-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
12% of the federal budget goes to "safety net programs". That is 12% of the budget for all of those who receive it, not just immigrants or Americans.

We spend 19% of the total budget on defense.

You have to keep in mind, not all Hispanics are immigrants, and not all immigrants are Hispanic. I am Hispanic, and not an immigrant. Nor would you catch me dead in a social services office.

If it weren't for these relatively cheap safety net programs, the national poverty level would be 29%, nearly double the already horrible 16%.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be too proud to live in a nation where 3 out of 10 are in poverty.

Policy Basics: Where Do Our Federal Tax Dollars Go? — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
US Welfare Budget: US Federal Budget FY12 Estimated Spending Breakdown - Pie Chart
No kidding. So many folks crying foul because nickels of their money are spent keeping the less fortunate afloat and fed. Barely.

Meanwhile they think nothing but happy, hopeful thoughts about corporate welfare and tax breaks for the already wealthy. To say nothing of ignoring that tax evasion by the successful in our society rips off everyone at an annual $337 billion. Speaking of "what if we just said no". Welfare can't touch what these other realities cost us.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMore1 View Post
I agree that the rich cheat the system but so do the poor. The ones who pay the price are those in the middle class. I mean why do I see poor blacks and Hispanics with 3 or 4 kids while Whites and Asians usually have 1 or at most 2 kids in California. The system is screwed up and everyone knows it but are scared of being labeled racists. Why should we keep paying for the kids of those who should not be having babies if they can't afford to care for them on their own dime. It is just wrong.
Aside from your unsupported stereotyping - the better question is: why do you, and so many like you, focus on the small change, ignoring the big bills?

Further, if society doesn't intervene, what do you think happens to those kids and their parents? What do you suggest? Kill them?

Are you aware that birth rates go down as education and security and wealth increase?

Pity the struggling middle class Americans, eh. What a fate! How do they stand their their miserable lives of suffering and abuse and disadvantage?

Old 09-14-2014, 11:44 PM

12,840 posts, read 23,199,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Aside from your unsupported stereotyping - the better question is: why do you, and so many like you, focus on the small change, ignoring the big bills?

Further, if society doesn't intervene, what do you think happens to those kids and their parents? What do you suggest? Kill them?

Are you aware that birth rates go down as education and security and wealth increase?

Pity the struggling middle class Americans, eh. What a fate! How do they stand their their miserable lives of suffering and abuse and disadvantage?
To be completely honest, "we" only really complain/discuss things like "The future for Caucasians in California", illegal immigration, welfare, etc., etc., whenever things are going well.

I swear that all of this kind of talk was severely MUTED when things were truly in the pooper. "We" had bigger problems. It's "their" problem, until it's mine.

Anybody at my class level has no excuse to complain about anything but the things we find wrong about society at large.

There is a part of me that wants to get so rich that I can be poor again.

Then I won't have time to worry about such trivialities.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:55 PM

132 posts, read 184,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

Maybe, the poster was only recommending that, for some portions of the demographic, mindfulness of the concepts of Malthusianism wouldn't be a bad thing..

However - that's just it - why act with any responsibility or forethought, when there are no consequences for one's indiscretions? No need to be concerned about the (in)ability to support/sustain one's offspring, if there is a bufferzone in place (taxpayer-funded) to soften potential hardships resulting from allowing one's breeding instinct to go forth unchecked by reason.
Yeah I'll have 10 kids - so what? The taxpayers will pay for them.
Because there is a system in place designed to help people, doesn't mean it should be abused - and if it is abused, then that maybe says something about the integrity and character of those who are taking advantage of it, does it not?

Artificial sustainment will not work long term, anyone would know this is an obvious truth.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration