Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2014, 08:30 AM

7,442 posts, read 6,973,138 times

Advertisements

challenges. What is that? That is one of the things the administration is going to do right now to help with our border collapse and the resultant crisis we are experiencing in this country- send millions to the countries from which these people are fleeing:

5 things you need to know about the immigration crisis - CNN.com

"Though now, the administration plans to spend roughly $100 million in aid to Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador to help the immigrant children get back home and stay there.
It also setting aside $161.5 million this year for programs designed to help Central American countries respond to "pressing security and governance challenges.""

Anyone have any confidence this money will do anything other than line the pockets of whatever corrupt government officials and their cronies happen to be in charge - that have either created, presided over, or failed to correct these horrible conditions allegedly causing this mass migration northward?

So, they effectively send us tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of what I assume are their hardest cases, poorest and most desperate, and, in exchange, we send them hundreds of millions of dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 09:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,214,150 times
You know that NONE of that money will get to those poor.

Honduras...only 85% of children have access to a school.
Less than 30% actually make it to 6th grade.
Median age is 24 and over half of the population is under 14.

Money will go to the government coffers.
Honduras relies on money flowing from the US. Illegals sent home over $2 billion last year..28% of their GDP.
They have no reason to stop the flow; their budget depends on it.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:05 AM

7,442 posts, read 6,973,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You know that NONE of that money will get to those poor.

Honduras...only 85% of children have access to a school.
Less than 30% actually make it to 6th grade.
Median age is 24 and over half of the population is under 14.

Money will go to the government coffers.
Honduras relies on money flowing from the US. Illegals sent home over $2 billion last year..28% of their GDP.
They have no reason to stop the flow; their budget depends on it.
That last reason is key - and it also undercuts the argument that illegals "help" the US economy - those that actually work for the most part don't pay taxes and send a large part of what they make back.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:07 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,214,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
That last reason is key - and it also undercuts the argument that illegals "help" the US economy - those that actually work for the most part don't pay taxes and send a large part of what they make back.
The last figure given was 2011 for this. Over $120 billion leaves the US due to "immigrants" sending money "home".

And the experts wonder why the American consumer isn't spending money....

Old 09-09-2014, 02:50 PM

34,301 posts, read 15,550,721 times
If you think any of that aid is going to solve any problem in the country it goes to or in the one paying you are delusional.

I've traveled in South America, Asia and plan to do more in the future. What I noticed is that there are few police or military compared to the population. Anyplace where there are banks or stores that sell high value products they have armed protection. They make no attempt to intimidate or interfere with people going about their lawful business activity. But try to rob the place and you will be shot dead. I have seen that happen on two occasions and no one gets concerned about it. They don't seem to miss or hesitate. It is important to have cash available as a foreigner because you can buy your way out of any minor situation. I always have two unarmed body guards and let them deal with it in my behalf should any problem arise. Foreigners are treated different. Police generally won't engage with you unless they have too. I've paid less there than I have here in traffic fines. I've never seen anyone get a traffic ticket ever. They drive by horn and skilfully maneuver through congestion without accidents in amazing fashion.
It is important that you have situation awareness and not carry or wear anything of value. The population is poor and they will steal as a mater of survival and they are highly skilled at it. Knowing that the laws protect them so that you can only use the amount of force necessary to stop the theft or attack. No one is allowed to have a gun but police. An over use of force will get you a nice stretch in prison. I've seen a purse snatcher that could out run a rabbit. It was amazing, the speed and skill. He would be gone into the crowd before you knew what had happened. Not a chance of catching him.

Have no fear we are not a 3rd world country yet. As more people become employed in low paying service jobs that won't pay a living existence we'll get there. People will do what it takes to survive. We're still fat, dumb and happy with a lot more to give up before that is our reality. We have Social Security and food stamps and a good supply of dog food so relax we'er the riches nation on the planet even when we'er broke.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:43 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,789,375 times
We should demand that they meet our standards for human rights before we send them any money.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:00 AM

30,596 posts, read 21,763,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
We should demand that they meet our standards for human rights before we send them any money.
Sounds good in theory but so did Communism. We shouldn't send them any money, it's an empty hole that we can never fix. It boils down to "Our system works, theirs doesn't". It's impossible to fight Darwinism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration