U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 01:54 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,110 posts, read 7,351,136 times

Advertisements

When my parents were growing up before welfare and WWII, they would pick crops along with all the other poor farmer familys, Talking to many people in thier 70 and 80's it seems like alot of American family's did this, both white and black, Then after WWII welfare came along and hard work wasn't valued anymore... JUst a thought...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2007, 02:27 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Welfare is certainly much of the problem -- that's why so many illegals are far along in a pregnancy when they arrive -- their goal is to get on welfare programs.

Either way illegal immigration is bad. Some illegals really come to work and because of our high cost of living, they leave their families back in Mexico where their income really can support them. That's bad because it leads to broken families and kids growing up never seeing their parent. Others can easily take jobs that won't support their families here because they will get government handouts for that.

Old 12-25-2007, 02:28 PM

9,308 posts, read 25,652,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
When my parents were growing up before welfare and WWII, they would pick crops along with all the other poor farmer familys, Talking to many people in thier 70 and 80's it seems like alot of American family's did this, both white and black, Then after WWII welfare came along and hard work wasn't valued anymore... JUst a thought...
and a FANTASTIC THOUGHT, Cali BassMan

Sadly, the original concept of welfare has long disappeared. Now instead of helping out during a difficult time, welfare has become a lifestyle!

Old 12-25-2007, 02:57 PM

22,998 posts, read 31,942,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
and a FANTASTIC THOUGHT, Cali BassMan

Sadly, the original concept of welfare has long disappeared. Now instead of helping out during a difficult time, welfare has become a lifestyle!
From someone who cashes welfare checks for a living, I really think that welfare is very easily abused. Half the people who come in to cash them look like they could stand 8 hours of work if they can get over their laziness.

Welfare should only be used in the hour of need by US citizens who are down on their luck, not illegals, lazy folks, and teens who dont know the meaning of birth control and expect the govt to take care of them.

Old 12-25-2007, 05:43 PM

9,308 posts, read 25,652,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
From someone who cashes welfare checks for a living, I really think that welfare is very easily abused. Half the people who come in to cash them look like they could stand 8 hours of work if they can get over their laziness.

Welfare should only be used in the hour of need by US citizens who are down on their luck, not illegals, lazy folks, and teens who dont know the meaning of birth control and expect the govt to take care of them.
Absolutely, Alanboy

As I posted earlier, welfare has become a LIFESTYLE for far too many. All forms of welfare need some type of maximum time limit.

Take the DEADBEAT KATRINA VICTIMS . . . far too many are still sitting back and allowing "the system" to support them.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:08 PM

22,998 posts, read 31,942,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Absolutely, Alanboy

As I posted earlier, welfare has become a LIFESTYLE for far too many. All forms of welfare need some type of maximum time limit.

Take the DEADBEAT KATRINA VICTIMS . . . far too many are still sitting back and allowing "the system" to support them.
I wouldn't get too mad at the Katrina victims. At least they had a valid reason for being down on their luck (Hurricane Katrina.) But these illegals, NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-25-2007, 07:25 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,003,319 times
Welfare did not bring about the illegal alien problem. Americans will still do jobs that illegal aliens have driven down wages in. They just want to be paid a fair wage for their labors.

Now have some Americans had to go on welfare because illegal aliens have driven down wages in many entry level jobs? Of course. If we can get control of the illegal alien infestation then wages will naturally rise to where they should be and the numbers on welfare decrease.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:30 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Excellent point there.

Aside from unemployment for about 2 months; I have never asked for/collected monetary public assistance in my life.

Trust me; I have done my share of 'BS' (low paying) jobs till I was finally able to learn a skill that paid OK money.

I am more of a 'hands on' sort of student: I actually do respect many of the college degreed crowd but I seem more at peace working at a trade.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:21 AM

1,572 posts, read 3,607,463 times
Welfare doesn't cause people to illegally immigrate. People come for the jobs.

Welfare in most places doesn't exist as it did anymore, anyways. Most states have a 2-5 year lifetime cap, and you cannot recieve benefits for more than 2 years at a time. In addition, often there are work requirements for the jobs.

No, illegals are comming to do the manual labor jobs that employers want done at illegal or below-market wages. Workers that will never unionize and speak so little English that they'd never dream of calling a lawyer.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:50 AM

2,290 posts, read 4,946,160 times
Quote:
Did Welfare bring about the Illegal Immigration problem?
No. American business did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or