Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 12:46 PM

62,952 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Obama announced his decision today .... no Executive Orders on Immigration before the election.

Rubin Navarrette knows exactly what he is talking about. - I don't even expect anything of any magnitude after the election.
Hmm, since the left keeps claiming that the majority of Americans favor amnesty then it would seem that Obama acting on it before the elections would be the thing to do, right? I think since he isn't going to that it is pretty much a tell all where most Americans actually stand on amnesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
It would be political suicide for Obama to sign an executive order granting amnesty to millions before the midterms, and he and the Senate Dems know it. The majority of American citizens are against this action. Janet Murguia was on MSNBC Friday telling Obama they are "done waiting" for him to keep his promise of amnesty for "6 million illegal immigrants." She said Obama the Senate Democrats are asking them to wait a little longer (for obvious reasons), and LaRaza is very unhappy about that.
So La Raza is done waiting? Oh the horror. What are they going to do about? Vote Republican? I don't think so! I find their idle threats laughable.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:03 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Hmm, since the left keeps claiming that the majority of Americans favor amnesty then it would seem that Obama acting on it before the elections would be the thing to do, right? I think since he isn't going to that it is pretty much a tell all where most Americans actually stand on amnesty.
Quote:
So La Raza is done waiting? Oh the horror. What are they going to do about? Vote Republican? I don't think so! I find their idle threats laughable.
Agreed. IMHO la raza is mostly just talk and NOTHING to back up their lies except by trying to play the "race card". Even that doesn't work in 2014.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:46 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Polling indicates that the majority of Americans are concerned more about Border Security and less about 'Amnesty' type provisions. I don't think any poll really asks the question - "Are you in favor of Amnesty for the Illegal Immigrants in the USA today?"

Google search for recent polling on Immigration

I'm not at all sure that most Americans understand that "Illegal Immigrants" are more than just those that cross our Southern Border - those are only about half of the "Illegals" in the USA today. The rest of them come from all over the world and are either VISA violations or just visitors that decided to stay.

Immigration has always been more than just those that cross over the Southern Border illegally.
This is one of the reasons that I'm against a "Comprehensive Immigration Law" that I know for a fact that will be so HUGE and so convoluted that most CongressCritters won't even read or understand it.

It has be broken down into smaller, more understandable pieces. An immigrant should not have to hire an Immigration Lawyer just to immigrate to the USA, but that's the way it is today and it will be worse under a new law.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Polling indicates that the majority of Americans are concerned more about Border Security and less about 'Amnesty' type provisions. I don't think any poll really asks the question - "Are you in favor of Amnesty for the Illegal Immigrants in the USA today?"

Google search for recent polling on Immigration

I'm not at all sure that most Americans understand that "Illegal Immigrants" are more than just those that cross our Southern Border - those are only about half of the "Illegals" in the USA today. The rest of them come from all over the world and are either VISA violations or just visitors that decided to stay.

Immigration has always been more than just those that cross over the Southern Border illegally.
This is one of the reasons that I'm against a "Comprehensive Immigration Law" that I know for a fact that will be so HUGE and so convoluted that most CongressCritters won't even read or understand it.

It has be broken down into smaller, more understandable pieces. An immigrant should not have to hire an Immigration Lawyer just to immigrate to the USA, but that's the way it is today and it will be worse under a new law.
Actually, only 40% are visa overstayers and the rest never had authorization to come here in the first place and are mostly border jumpers. Most of the so-called CIR is about dealing with illegal aliens not legal immigrants.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:21 PM

424 posts, read 467,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
He won't act because he would have to make an actual decision and own that decision.

Not his style, not going to happen.
Well, I'm personally glad these "decisions" by Specter, McCain and Bush didn't pass through!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compreh...rm_Act_of_2006

Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2007 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd rather he do nothing than go Republican and try to legalize everyone here who broke the law. But I agree with you in that something should be done -- eVerify and sanctions against businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration