U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-14-2014, 11:06 AM
 
7,846 posts, read 5,035,112 times
Reputation: 4025

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
LEGAL aliens do; it's the ILLEGAL aliens that undercut our kind.
This thread makes no distinction between legal and illegal.

"Why Do We Need Immigration?"

Answer:

To keep the economy growing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-14-2014, 11:53 AM
 
48,519 posts, read 81,048,183 times
Reputation: 17978
Al country well needed high skilled workers is why. Why because they don't have enough of them and they create wealth. Some even say we need them for jobs Americans will not do. at lower levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2014, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,887,954 times
Reputation: 6517
A healthy well executed immigration system is always a good thing. That includes strict enforcement. What no country needs is a bleeding heart system that caters to criminals and those who disregard the laws of the land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2014, 12:48 PM
 
31,500 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Reputation: 8365
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Al country well needed high skilled workers is why. Why because they don't have enough of them and they create wealth. Some even say we need them for jobs Americans will not do. at lower levels.
I'm not convinced that we don't have enough high skilled workers of our own but at any rate better to allow those kind in legally that may benefit our country rather than the millions of unskilled, poor and uneducated that we are getting vial illegal immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2014, 12:58 PM
 
31,500 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Reputation: 8365
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
What you said doesn't make any sense. What part of my argument is a strawman? The fact is, when immigrants come here, they compete for jobs. And when immigration is massive, as it is, and largely from the Third World, which it is, it drives down wages because a large percentage of the workers in the job market will work for low wages, and the surplus of labor will prevent any real collective bargaining because employees are so easily replaceable. Those minimum wage jobs might be paying double or even triple in real wages if it weren't for this cheap foreign labor that business leaders demand.
You're right but it will fall on deaf ears to some. Not only that but many illegal aliens work under the table and are paid less than minimum wage. This is another way that Americans can't compete with these third world workers especially when here illegally. Construction jobs use to pay a lot more than they do now. This is due to the large number of illegal workers in our country who are willing to work for half price. Both the employers and the illegal workers are equally guilty. Add outsourcing to that and American job opportunities at a fair wage have fallen to a new low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2014, 01:25 PM
 
7,846 posts, read 5,035,112 times
Reputation: 4025
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Al country well needed high skilled workers is why. Why because they don't have enough of them and they create wealth. Some even say we need them for jobs Americans will not do. at lower levels.
America does not have a shortage of high skilled workers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
A healthy well executed immigration system is always a good thing. That includes strict enforcement. What no country needs is a bleeding heart system that caters to criminals and those who disregard the laws of the land.
Strawman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I'm not convinced that we don't have enough high skilled workers of our own but at any rate better to allow those kind in legally that may benefit our country rather than the millions of unskilled, poor and uneducated that we are getting vial illegal immigration.
Correct, we do.

However, immigration is necessary whether it is skilled or unskilled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You're right but it will fall on deaf ears to some. Not only that but many illegal aliens work under the table and are paid less than minimum wage. This is another way that Americans can't compete with these third world workers especially when here illegally. Construction jobs use to pay a lot more than they do now. This is due to the large number of illegal workers in our country who are willing to work for half price. Both the employers and the illegal workers are equally guilty. Add outsourcing to that and American job opportunities at a fair wage have fallen to a new low.
Construction jobs pay over $30 / hour where I live in Western New York, which has a COL right on par with the national average.

Why? We have mandated labor unions and strong prevailing wage laws. Texas construction workers can ***** and moan about their crap wages because their self-serving politicians sold them up the river.

"Unions are bad."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2014, 05:35 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
This thread makes no distinction between legal and illegal.

"Why Do We Need Immigration?"

Answer:

To keep the economy growing.
Uh; this is the ILLEGAL immigration forum. Sheesh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2014, 05:50 PM
 
31,500 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Reputation: 8365
Americans can't grow their own economy? Since we have millions of Americans that are unemployed right now it makes no sense to have much immigration these days. Where are these "immigrants" going to work? Americans can't start businesses just as well as any immigrant can? It makes more sense to have a smaller economy to fit a smaller population environmentally wise also. Less demands on our social resources also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2014, 05:55 PM
 
Location: South Jersey
12,921 posts, read 6,472,361 times
Reputation: 4470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Really? Americans can't grow their own economy? Since we have millions of Americans that are unemployed right now it makes no sense to have much immigration these days. Where are these "immigrants" going to work? Americans can't start businesses just as well as any immigrant can? It makes more sense to have a smaller economy to fit a smaller population environmentally wise also. Less demands on our social resources also.
The environment is an important consideration, too, for limiting population. You can't really control native birth rates, but you can certainly control immigration. The fact is growth is inherently unsustainable. There are many, many reasons we shouldn't be even more built-up than we already are. We don't need more people. There aren't enough jobs for Americans as it is, yet we have massive immigrations shoved down our throats? Come on, people, wake up! Lets put our own interests first, like every sane group of people does! And that means let's reject this globalist swindle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2014, 06:28 PM
 
31,500 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Reputation: 8365
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
The environment is an important consideration, too, for limiting population. You can't really control native birth rates, but you can certainly control immigration. The fact is growth is inherently unsustainable. There are many, many reasons we shouldn't be even more built-up than we already are. We don't need more people. There aren't enough jobs for Americans as it is, yet we have massive immigrations shoved down our throats? Come on, people, wake up! Lets put our own interests first, like every sane group of people does! And that means let's reject this globalist swindle.
Excellent post, thank you. Above all we should make every effort to curb illegal immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top