Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2014, 02:25 AM

86 posts, read 95,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I placed this under the Illegal Immigration subforum, but it applies to all immigration - legal and otherwise. In a development country of well over 300 million people with substantial unemployment why do we need any immigration? It seems like it has some inertia of its own that can't be explained in any way that makes sense by politicians, immigration activists or employers/business. This is not an sparsely settled, wide open country of the late 1800s and eventually we need to put out the "no vacancy" sign for the sake of our standard of living/quality of life.

"Why More Immigration is Bad for America"
United States needed massive immigration for their industrial and agricultural production but also for colonization. After the First World War immigrants were not needed anymore and so United States put a cap in 1924 reducing immigration significantly. United States even went further and continued to deport illegal and legal immigrants (mostly from Latin-America) through the entire length of US depression. In 1945 pro-immigration activists (part of the civil rights movement) started argue for an open border policy. They succeeded in 1965 when the immigration-cap was abolished. There is a strong pull-factor that makes so many people seeking a future in United States but also to the rest of the western world. There are plenty of rich Arab-states with a high number of immigrants but they have in turn no rights and are only there on temporary visas. Immigration has we have in United States and elsewhere does simple not exist. Japan, Singapore and South Korea have a Western standard of living and are liberal democracies but getting a Visa there is difficult and they keep (for ethno-nationalist and economical reasons) the immigration-levels low. It is only western countries (around half of the electorate) that see diversity as strength. This is changing in parts of Europe, Australia and Canada. Apparently, a lot of white Europeans see non-western immigration has a threat to their national identity and labor-market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 07:31 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddybrown View Post
United States needed massive immigration for their industrial and agricultural production but also for colonization. After the First World War immigrants were not needed anymore and so United States put a cap in 1924 reducing immigration significantly. United States even went further and continued to deport illegal and legal immigrants (mostly from Latin-America) through the entire length of US depression. In 1945 pro-immigration activists (part of the civil rights movement) started argue for an open border policy. They succeeded in 1965 when the immigration-cap was abolished. There is a strong pull-factor that makes so many people seeking a future in United States but also to the rest of the western world. There are plenty of rich Arab-states with a high number of immigrants but they have in turn no rights and are only there on temporary visas. Immigration has we have in United States and elsewhere does simple not exist. Japan, Singapore and South Korea have a Western standard of living and are liberal democracies but getting a Visa there is difficult and they keep (for ethno-nationalist and economical reasons) the immigration-levels low. It is only western countries (around half of the electorate) that see diversity as strength. This is changing in parts of Europe, Australia and Canada. Apparently, a lot of white Europeans see non-western immigration has a threat to their national identity and labor-market.
Agreed and HOW! Tho NON "white" people who are German, Swedish, Irish and so on count the same as white skin people from those countries. OTOH: I'm getting more and more leery about letting in Russians even tho they're almost always "white".

Old 09-16-2014, 07:46 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
No one is pandering to anyone else's culture. America's culture is a melting pot. There is no official language or religion. Call a spade a spade. Why do you really not want immigrants in America?
No. No official language--de facto, English.

But when taxpayers have to pay extra for ballots to be printed in anything other than the English they've been printed in for decades before the law took effect--that is pandering at its finest. Fortunately, I live in an area where they are printed in only two, and that's fine.

America's culture USED to be a melting pot--it is getting to the point where that is no longer the case.

I have no objection to legal immigrants who come here to become AMERICANS, and don't demand special treatment because of it.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:53 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
[b]

No. No official language--de facto, English.
De facto is irrelevant. There is no official language.

Quote:
[
But when taxpayers have to pay extra for ballots to be printed in anything other than the English they've been printed in for decades before the law took effect--that is pandering at its finest. Fortunately, I live in an area where they are printed in only two, and that's fine.

America's culture USED to be a melting pot--it is getting to the point where that is no longer the case.
Um, no. It is still a melting pot... probably moreso now than ever. The issue is that some Americans don't accept non-white cultures that are immigrating to America at large.

Quote:
[
I have no objection to legal immigrants who come here to become AMERICANS, and don't demand special treatment because of it.
...than why do conservatives always complain about things like halal food in schools or people speaking in other languages?

Old 09-17-2014, 10:49 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
De facto is irrelevant. There is no official language.

Um, no. It is still a melting pot... probably moreso now than ever. The issue is that some Americans don't accept non-white cultures that are immigrating to America at large.

...than why do conservatives always complain about things like halal food in schools or people speaking in other languages?
De facto is certainly NOT irrelevant when the overwhelming majority speak English. It's also the preferred international language of business.

Have no problem with non-white cultures if they want to assimilate. As long as it does not cost me--the taxpayer--any money, don't have too much of a problem with it.

Speaking other languages is fine--just don't expect us to provide a translator. Bring your own.

You just proved my point. Halal food is special treatment, and accomodating another culture that has come to this country.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Have no problem with non-white cultures if they want to assimilate. As long as it does not cost me--the taxpayer--any money, don't have too much of a problem with it.
Irrational. If a legal citizen from a different "culture" is eligible for the same taxpayer-funded services as everyone else.

Just what is American "culture" ?

Quote:

De facto is certainly NOT irrelevant when the overwhelming majority speak English. It's also the preferred international language of business.

Speaking other languages is fine--just don't expect us to provide a translator. Bring your own.
What part of there is no national language do you not understand?

Quote:
You just proved my point. Halal food is special treatment, and accomodating another culture that has come to this country.
That is not "special treatment." At one point Italian, Greek, Mexican, and a slew of other foods would classify as "special."

Old 09-17-2014, 12:19 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:

Don't you just love how they stereotype all conservatives? As for our national language even though it isn't "official" even congress declared English as being our national language a few years ago. Blacks would be a non-white culture. I don't have a problem with them and they speak English as their primary language of usage. They have assimilated into American culture. Some others not so much. As you said, we are no longer a melting pot but a salad bowl where other cultures are encouraged to hang on to their native ones out in mainstream and expect to be accommodated in their native tongues. A lot of that is directly due to illegal immigration.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Don't you just love how they stereotype all conservatives? As for our national language even though it isn't "official" even congress declared English as being our national language a few years ago.
Nope. Only declarations are on the books. Congress' job is to legislate, not make suggestions.

Quote:
Blacks would be a non-white culture. I don't have a problem with them and they speak English as their primary language of usage. They have assimilated into American culture. Some others not so much.

Blacks never had to assimilate into American culture. Blacks are American culture. Blacks have been here longer than European immigrants.

Quote:
As you said, we are no longer a melting pot but a salad bowl where other cultures are encouraged to hang on to their native ones out in mainstream and expect to be accommodated in their native tongues. A lot of that is directly due to illegal immigration.
Why wouldn't they be encouraged to? European immigrants are encouraged to... hmmmmm

This has nothing to do with illegal immigration. As the previous poster pointed out; there is an issue with Muslims wanting Halal food. Why would there be a problem with a legal citizen wanting their ethnic culture represented?

Old 09-17-2014, 01:01 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
well we have an X Y Z generation that has nothing but contempt for blue collar work.
it took every one of the 60 million illegals and last 2 amnesties to fill the bill. america does not need 20 million more managers. we need trades people and the illegals move on up and fill those slots.
remember we were the ones that told them blue collar and pink collar (what our grandparents did to feed us) were dirty work? and told them unions were bad? see that 35 year old kid sitting next to the skate board in your living room? see maria and pepe cleaning the house and garden???? whats up with that?

Old 09-17-2014, 01:29 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
well we have an X Y Z generation that has nothing but contempt for blue collar work.
it took every one of the 60 million illegals and last 2 amnesties to fill the bill. america does not need 20 million more managers. we need trades people and the illegals move on up and fill those slots.
remember we were the ones that told them blue collar and pink collar (what our grandparents did to feed us) were dirty work? and told them unions were bad? see that 35 year old kid sitting next to the skate board in your living room? see maria and pepe cleaning the house and garden???? whats up with that?
Of course you have proof of your assertions that Americans have an adversion to blue-collared work, right? Besides, if that were true then why haven't we increased our "legal" immigration quotas to fill those jobs?

I'm not seeing the same scenario you are. I am seeing most Americans needing jobs and searching for them and being let go on their jobs in favor or cheap, illegal labor and seeing Maria and Pepe stealing a job from an American and either working under the table not paying income taxes or using a fake or stolen ID to work (both felonies). I also see cheap Joe Blow American fattening his wallet off of cheap, illegal labor while he passes the social costs of these illegal aliens unto we the taxpayer. Yeah, what's up with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration