Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 02:20 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times

Advertisements

Our Gov should end that policy effective now... Cuba's woes are not ours and none of our business. If cubans are so unhappy they should have a revolt. They did it not so long ago, who knows maybe this time they will get it right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 07:37 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Blue...of course people will do any job depending on the wage..the issue is...the jobs do not pay the appropriate wage for people to do them...so the immigrants have become labor of choice. Since Corporations can exploit this unlimited labor pool...there is no incentive to pay a reasonable wage to do these jobs. And that is now becoming the rule....not the exception...the exploitation of the world's vastly lower wages at the expense of the American way of life and standard of living. It is the same dumbing down of our society to the lowest common denominator...the standard of living is the next target.
Sadly, this is all pretty true. While I think it's vital and imperative that we get ahold of illegal immigration NOW, and that the need for it is 80% "hype", I will admit that if illegal immigration stopped TOMORROW, we'd still be in big trouble. I think the illegals are only an annoying, visible symptom of a much wider malaise.

Illegals or no, when Wal-Mart is one of the very LARGEST employers in the US, it doesn't bode well for the middle class. And our standard of living is largely an artificial construct, depending for its continued existence on a number of things, including many unwritten "gentlemen's agreements". But now we're running out of "gentlemen", and a 'cold wind is blowing'. There are no real guarantees in this life, and the concept of a "middle class" lifestyle is VERY recent in human history. No one really knows whether it will last forever, or WHO its members will be....

Old 12-26-2007, 08:31 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,969 times
The idea that American citizens wont do low paid work is silly.

In California, it seems like a foreign concept, but go to the midwest or northeast. When I was in Maine a few years ago...white kids were working at Burger King, they seemed to be doing alright.

They have landscaping and construction up there, how does it get done?

The pro illegal crowd is blind and delusional if they actually believe any of their arguements.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:34 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,440,827 times
Consider field work in California, anyone can walk onto a field and get a job harvesting or weeding or otherwise tending vegetables. Yet, the only people working in the fields are Mexican, both legal and illegal.

Why is that?

Old 12-26-2007, 08:43 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
Consider field work in California, anyone can walk onto a field and get a job harvesting or weeding or otherwise tending vegetables. Yet, the only people working in the fields are Mexican, both legal and illegal.

Why is that?
What's the difference? Doesn't some poor guy in Darfur who is constantly hiding and running for his life in his own country deserve as much consideration as a Mexican who simply cant find work in his own country.

The point is that it's not THEIR decision to make. If we find that we are not filling these jobs, we can allow more immigrants to come into the country LEGALLY. WE should be regulating this according to OUR needs. Not them.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 12-26-2007 at 08:59 PM..

Old 12-26-2007, 10:33 PM

902 posts, read 718,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Being an illegal alien in the US has never been a party...unless you call picking strawberry's 14 hours a day for 2 months in California, then cleaning toilets for 4 months in Las Vegas, then washing dishes for 2 months in Texas, and then picking peaches in Georgia for the remaining months. Sounds like a party to me!

The construction jobs do employ alot of immigrants, however there are far more industries that can accomodate all the immigrants. The "party" will only continue for immigrants so long as Americans dont want these jobs AND US corporations are allowed and encouraged to exploit them.
Please educate yourself before continuing to post the misinformation that you post about illegals. There are NO jobs that Americans won't do for a living wage. But, I do love it when you pro-illegal people get shrill and post the misinformation because it shows that you are scared and are losing.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:56 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Kele, This is a duplicate but under a different title.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/immig...nd-1000-a.html

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2007-12/34429341.jpg (broken link)
Is that an illegal trying to get BACK over the border???

Old 12-27-2007, 07:20 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,583 times
Ozark I am not sure what youa re talking about...as my post was neither misinformation nor pro-illegal immigration. Stating the facts behind WHY there is an illegal migration problem is not pro-illegal immigration. Since Corporations can exploit the MUCH lower world's wages, and have easy access to this labor from south america....they do not have to pay livable wages...and at the end of the day..you can shop at Wal-mart and save 50 cents on a pack of strawberries, or pay more and have companies pay a livable wage. Since all this country wants is CHEAP everything..and lots of it...coporations will continue to exploit the cheap labor. Our society is becoming "dumbed down" and will be no better than the rest of the 3rd world as a result.

The deterioration of our society is clear, and the divisions are growing dramatically...whereas places like Europe and Japan...where there is far more equalization, fair and balanced business, and in the case of Europe a very healthy balance between work and personal life...those societies are becoming far more attractive to me and others. Wal-Mart has been banned in Germany, and more of Europe is now becomign aware of their practices and monopolstic/predatorial behavior..and those countries are stronger for it (thats a personal rant though)

Old 12-27-2007, 09:51 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause;

The deterioration of our society is clear, and the divisions are growing dramatically...whereas places like Europe and Japan...where there is far more equalization, fair and balanced business, and in the case of Europe a very healthy balance between work and personal life...those societies are becoming far more attractive to me and others. Wal-Mart has been banned in Germany, and more of Europe is now becomign aware of their practices and monopolstic/predatorial behavior..and those countries are stronger for it (thats a personal rant though)

We will NEVER be on par with Europe or Japan in terms of "equalizing" or "social mobility" so long as we continue to allow the importation of our neighbor's most poor and desperate.

Period.

I'm a pretty liberal guy, in favor of social programs for Americans and our invited guests, but I'll be damned if I'm going to sit back and start paying not only for our OWN impoverished citizens and the bad choices they make, but also for the upkeep, maintenance, and education of our poor neighbors, who are using this country as a "refuse bin" to deposit the poor THEY don't want to deal with.

Enough is enough.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:02 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,583 times
Unfortunately TRImT7 you, or one of your man forefathers, are likely the same type of unwanted garbage that was dumped to the US. This country was built on just that....so changing that now because it is inconvenient for you is silly, hypocritical, and goes against everything this country stands for. The Statue of Liberty..and its statement, is as strong now as it ever was.

For better or worse you have always been and most likely always will be paying for our garbage as well as the world's garbage...as you so nicely put it (what else goes in a "refuse bin" after all.) I suggest you move to Europe then..because that is the ONLY way you will be able to succeed with your "Enough is Enough" mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration