U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 08:24 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,037,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
It matters not one iota what their 'reason' is for living 14 to a one bedroom apartment or such. In the US we have housing codes which dictate how many people are permitted to occupy a given home or apartment. There are health and safety reasons for these measures.
This is the law. Is there any reason why the law should not apply to your friend and her family? My neighbors next door could theoretically move 9 other families into their home and pay off their mortgage in no time. They would not do this. Why? Because in the United States of America we do not live like this. Our housing codes do not permit it.
How do you suppose the neighbors next to the apartment felt having the noise and traffic of so many people in a one bedroom apartment? Or does that not matter? Did they care that they were clearly in violation of the apartment lease? Evidently, they feel they are entitled to select which rules they will obey and which they will not.
Well this was back in the 70's. During the day, the child (my old schoolmate) was in school and her parents were both working. They were both electrical engineers here on working visas - so they were her legally, but perhaps not complying with the lease. During the day, the only people that were home were the 2 grandparents. Then at night. you had 5 people in the apartment. I don't recall the neighbors complaining since this went on for 2 years. This particular family was educated and fled communism to come here and embrace the American dream - which they wound up doing with gusto. Obviously, all examples of this are different and yes, safety and coding are real concerns and laws. I just wanted to share an experience of one family that I know and why they lived like that.

Last edited by Chinolala; 12-28-2007 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 08:54 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
Well this was back in the 70's. During the day, the child (my old schoolmate) was in school and her parents were both working. They were both electrical engineers here on working visas - so they were her legally, but perhaps not complying with the lease. During the day, the only people that were home were the 2 grandparents. Then at night. you had 5 people in the apartment. I don't recall the neighbors complaining since this went on for 2 years. This particular family was educated and fled communism to come here and embrace the American dream - which they wound up doing with gusto. Obviously, all examples of this are different and yes, safety and coding are real concerns and laws. I just wanted to share an experience of one family that I know and why they lived like that.
Remember too in the 1970's we had no where near the illegal problem as today so it was much, much easier to 'fly under the radar'.

Too your friends fled for (probable) political, not economic reasons from a Communist country so very few people would have even cared let alone ratted them out.

Next: both of the parents were here legally-----again no red flags raised.

Final point: 5 people even in a small apt draw much less attention than 10+

Old 12-28-2007, 10:03 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,875,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue pekoe View Post
Unfortunately, your situation is perfect example of how immigration has/is deteriorating CA neighborhoods. The other part of the problem is that zoning laws suddenly become non-existent for local agencies when non-English speakers are involved.

My advice to you is be prepared to be ignored by local agencies, but be persistent. As someone else mentioned, contact media outlets that might be sympathetic to your cause. Publicize it as much as possible. It also sounds like you're dealing with uncivilized people who might be inclined to violence. Since they're not people you can reason with, I wouldn't waste my time engaging with them. But, I would call the police at the slightest disturbance and each time they have a noisy "get-together" on the front lawn.

As a Ca native, I totally empathize with your plight. It's also why I'll be leaving this nightmare in 4 months. I can't wait!
Congratulations on the 4 months!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration