U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 06:57 AM

4,910 posts, read 3,488,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
I think it may be found that it makes no difference if an immigrant is legal or illegal, they are still often coming from places where disease is rife.
Legal immigrants are required to have a health check, provide proof of immunizations and they have to get whatever immunizations they might be missing.

They are also fingerprinted and FBI background checked.

They also have to provide proof of residency for the last ten years, proof of employment for the last ten years, information re: their education and their family. They must be able to prove that they have the skills and education necessary to not become a financial burden to the country. They have to be interviewed by ICE on a number of occasions, and swear that they have never been a drug addict, prostitute, communist, a member of the Nazi party, and have never engaged in genocide.

When they apply to become American citizens they are again fingerprinted, FBI background checked, interviewed extensively and must pass a citizenship test. It's not much of a citizenship test - they just keep asking you questions until you get seven of them right, but it provides them with info on civics that many born-here citizens could not pass. The interview is conducted in English and the civics test is conducted in English.

Been through it.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:41 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,074,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I just don't know, only saying because I live in a state that has always had lots of illegal aliens, I mean throughout my lifetime (almost 50 years). Interesting thought, though. Perhaps those of us in border states have been exposed, and it was just seen as a regular "cold", while it's a new virus for folks in the Midwest?
I think that it is very likely that many in the border states have had it and it was called something else. I had not lived in a place where head lice were considered not a big deal until moving "here". There was also something killing dogs that it took awhile to diagnose and I believe whatever it was came in "illegally" also. Can't wait for the house to sale as I have learned the population makeup does really, really make a difference not only in health issues but in the economic/living conditions.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:27 PM

8,858 posts, read 10,318,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I think that it is very likely that many in the border states have had it and it was called something else. I had not lived in a place where head lice were considered not a big deal until moving "here". There was also something killing dogs that it took awhile to diagnose and I believe whatever it was came in "illegally" also. Can't wait for the house to sale as I have learned the population makeup does really, really make a difference not only in health issues but in the economic/living conditions.
Lice. Yuck, yuck, yuck! But that is not an "illegal immigration" issue. It's prevalent in elementary schools because kids insist on trading caps, girls play with each other's hair despite their parents' demanding they stop it. It has nothing to do about being dirty, illegal, whatever. Those creepy crawlies do not care who you are. Not sure about the disease killing dogs? I just had my dog vaccinated for the first time for a disease passed by rat urine. Urban area, and they're seeing it more often here.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:44 AM

11,102 posts, read 12,803,049 times
Quote:
I just don't know, only saying because I live in a state that has always had lots of illegal aliens, I mean throughout my lifetime (almost 50 years). Interesting thought, though. Perhaps those of us in border states have been exposed, and it was just seen as a regular "cold", while it's a new virus for folks in the Midwest?
If you look at where its spreading,its coming out of the west and straight into the midwest...we have had an outbreak of "hand,foot and mouth disease" in this school district in the past two weeks and nobody had ever so much as heard of it around here before...a busload of illegal aliens stopped at a local truckstop a couple week before the "outbreak" so you tell me?I have a preK kid suffering with it who is sitting right next to me and I am livid about it .

Old 09-12-2014, 11:55 PM

8,858 posts, read 10,318,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
If you look at where its spreading,its coming out of the west and straight into the midwest...we have had an outbreak of "hand,foot and mouth disease" in this school district in the past two weeks and nobody had ever so much as heard of it around here before...a busload of illegal aliens stopped at a local truckstop a couple week before the "outbreak" so you tell me?I have a preK kid suffering with it who is sitting right next to me and I am livid about it .
Hand, foot, and mouth has been around forever. Seriously. I had never heard of it, ever, before I had a young child. I first learned about it reading one of those "What to Expect..." books, when my child came down with it and we went to the pediatrician who verified that's what it was. This was 14 or 15 years ago. It's common, and apparently one of those early childhood sicknesses that nobody ever tells you about. Sorry about your child and hope she/he is doing well. As far as this other virus that's going around, I'm still keeping up with it and it's not making sense to me. Why is it so prevalent in non-border states, and not here in Texas? Just trying to think it through logically.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Hand, foot, and mouth has been around forever. Seriously. I had never heard of it, ever, before I had a young child. I first learned about it reading one of those "What to Expect..." books, when my child came down with it and we went to the pediatrician who verified that's what it was. This was 14 or 15 years ago. It's common, and apparently one of those early childhood sicknesses that nobody ever tells you about. Sorry about your child and hope she/he is doing well. As far as this other virus that's going around, I'm still keeping up with it and it's not making sense to me. Why is it so prevalent in non-border states, and not here in Texas? Just trying to think it through logically.
I agree...I didn't really word it properly...I didn't mean to say it was unheard of,but according to a local doc we fish with who has been in this area for nearly 50 years he has only seen a few cases in all that time..now every school within a 30 mile radius is dealing with it and he's at a loss as to why himself..you can just mark it down as "that's just the way it is" or figure out why...I don't know for sure,but I do have an opinion on it.

That other virus is evil..I have watched the news vids of those kids suffering and it breaks my heart.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:47 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,904,378 times
Quote:
But this summer saw nearly 60,000 coming from central American countries and from very poor, true third world conditions.

And government reports all throughout the summer all mention "respiratory illness" among them.

Just too much of a coincidence that something that hasn't been seen here in 40 years is now sweeping the nation.
Just too much coincidence that tens of thousands of illegal children have been dispersed to cities all over the US.

And that the CDC and other government agencies aren't even considering a "connection" speaks volumes.
Obama's immigration EO is just too important an issue to have something like this connected to it.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:49 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,904,378 times
Quote:

Maybe cause 60% of the school kids are Hispanic ?

Old 09-13-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But this summer saw nearly 60,000 coming from central American countries and from very poor, true third world conditions.

And government reports all throughout the summer all mention "respiratory illness" among them.

Just too much of a coincidence that something that hasn't been seen here in 40 years is now sweeping the nation.
Just too much coincidence that tens of thousands of illegal children have been dispersed to cities all over the US.

And that the CDC and other government agencies aren't even considering a "connection" speaks volumes.
Obama's immigration EO is just too important an issue to have something like this connected to it.
The CDC is one of the most worthless money pits in the US govt..we've dealt with them over Lyme..they stink of corruption and ineptness.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:52 AM

4,910 posts, read 3,488,584 times
The virus is beginning to hit the Northeast:

Enterovirus D68 makes its way to the Northeast, officials confirm | Fox News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration