U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 09:22 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,870,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What makes you so sure illegal immigrants brought this disease to the US? It's been seen here before, and most of the cases are in the center of the country, far from the borders. I'm not at my usual computer with all my bookmarks, so you can Google this yourself.
Those illegal kids got shipped all over the country. Do you not remember the stories over the summer ?

I would suspect the border states have better immunities because we have so many illegals already living among us.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:39 AM

3,221 posts, read 2,692,801 times
But, don't people who don't get vaccinated the ones that usually contract diseases such as TB and other diseases that were wiped out because of vaccinations? Of course, I'm not blaming all of those who don't get vaccinated because they may have an autoimmune illness and can't get vaccinations. However, what about those who are healthy enough for vaccinations and don't get them because they supposedly "cause autism in children" when it's been studied that it doesn't in most children? I think our country does need better immigration policies, but to blame them for all the diseases in the US when there are perfectly healthy people stupidly writing off vaccines that are bringing a lot of diseases back.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:00 AM

21,481 posts, read 26,078,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Those illegal kids got shipped all over the country. Do you not remember the stories over the summer ?

I would suspect the border states have better immunities because we have so many illegals already living among us.
Illegal immigrants often come from countries with better vaccination rates than the US.

Take measles in Mexico, for example. There was a case in 2011, the first in the country in six years. It was imported by a 19 month old girl who brought it in from France, which was experiencing an epidemic. The increase in measles in Europe is a legacy from Andrew Wakefield and declining measles vaccination rates.

First Measles Case Appears In Mexico, Said To Come From France - Medical News Today

Meanwhile, in the US:

50 Years After Vaccine Creation, Measles Still Threatens U.S. - US News

"Before 1990, most imported cases of measles to the United States came from Mexico, but in 2013, half of all the imported cases came from Europe, according to the CDC."

It is common for an unvaccinated perfectly legal traveller (citizen or tourist) to visit Europe, catch measles, and bring it back here.

You may not like illegal immigration, but illegal immigrants are not a major source of infectious disease in the US.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:23 AM

10,416 posts, read 5,975,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Nema is correct.

There is no evidence that this disease has any relationship to immigration, illegal or otherwise.

To quote myself (again):

http://www.city-data.com/forum/36498149-post9.html

The virus is present world-wide, including in the US, most people who get it just have cold symptoms, and it has caused several clusters of illness before.
Quote:
What makes you so sure illegal immigrants brought this disease to the US? It's been seen here before, and most of the cases are in the center of the country, far from the borders. I'm not at my usual computer with all my bookmarks, so you can Google this yourself.
Quote:
What I think...

That we've imported a strain that we have not seen here before..a variant.
The detention centers were full of kids with upper respiratory illnesses over the summer.
And then they got dispersed to cities all over the US.

Now they are in school and I do not think it's a mere coincidence that American children are falling sick with this "mysterious illness".
I agree. Do you guys/girls really think it's a coincidence that we imported tens of thousands of illegal kids and then kids all over the country started getting sick? They probably brought over a strain that our kids have not seen before and it's making them very sick.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I agree. Do you guys/girls really think it's a coincidence that we imported tens of thousands of illegal kids and then kids all over the country started getting sick? They probably brought over a strain that our kids have not seen before and it's making them very sick.
Do you have any evidence to support that?

Let's lay to rest the idea that illegal immigrants are bringing enterovirus D68 to the US, shall we?

http://skeptoid.com/blog/2014/09/16/ev-d68-panic/

"I couldn’t find any reputable source that identifies any kind of unusual outbreak or cluster of EV-D68 in any Central or South American country, though there have been outbreaks in Japan and Europe. Anyone who claims that enteroviruses are “common” in countries of origin for immigrants is cherry picking, since they’re common everywhere (again, we’re dealing with the common cold here.) Additionally, the outbreaks of EV-D68 have been mostly in states far from the border – places like Missouri, Illinois, Kansas and Colorado. There have been (as of now) no confirmed cases reported in states where most of these children are."

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 10-05-2014 at 11:46 AM..

Old 10-05-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Do you have any evidence to support that?

Let's lay to rest the idea that illegal immigrants are bringing enterovirus D68 to the US, shall we?

EV-D68: The (Not) New Disease to (Not) Panic About | Skeptoid

"I couldn’t find any reputable source that identifies any kind of unusual outbreak or cluster of EV-D68 in any Central or South American country, though there have been outbreaks in Japan and Europe. Anyone who claims that enteroviruses are “common” in countries of origin for immigrants is cherry picking, since they’re common everywhere (again, we’re dealing with the common cold here.) Additionally, the outbreaks of EV-D68 have been mostly in states far from the border – places like Missouri, Illinois, Kansas and Colorado. There have been (as of now) no confirmed cases reported in states where most of these children are."
You keep telling us this is "common".
So when was the last outbreak of this "common" EV-D68 in the US where 10 year olds became paralyzed ?
This is not "common" in the US.

The pilgrims got the Indians sick with them bring "new diseases" to America.
When you introduce a new population to an area you also introduce new diseases they may have.
And we introduced nearly 60,000 of them over the summer.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
So when was the last outbreak of this "common" EV-D68 in the US where 10 year olds became paralyzed ?

When you introduce a new population to an area you also introduce new diseases they may have.
Worldwide emergence of multiple clades of enterovirus 68

J Gen Virol. Sep 2012; 93(Pt 9): 1952–1958.

"Human enterovirus 68 (EV-D68) is a historically rarely reported virus linked with respiratory disease. In the past 3 years, a large increase in respiratory disease associated with EV-D68 has been reported, with documented outbreaks in North America, Europe and Asia. In several outbreaks, genetic differences were identified among the circulating strains, indicating the presence of multiple clades. In this report, we analyse archived and novel EV-D68 strains from Africa and the USA, obtained from patients with respiratory illness. Phylogenetic analysis of all EV-D68 sequences indicates that, over the past two decades, multiple clades of the virus have emerged and spread rapidly worldwide. All clades appear to be currently circulating and contributing to respiratory disease."

http://healthmap.org/site/diseasedai...aralysis-10314

"According to a CDC MMWR enterovirus summary report, the first case of enterovirus D68 entering the central nervous system was reported in 2005[iv]. This patient presented with acute flaccid paralysis. Before the outbreak became more widespread, there were cases of enterovirus D68 linked to acute flaccid paralysis in California between August 2012 and July 2013[v]."

"It is uncertain if paralysis-linked to enterovirus D68 is as rare and only-recently seen as described. The complicating factor is that (non-polio) acute-flaccid paralysis is not a nationally notifiable disease[vi]. Because of this, we do not have ‘baseline’ numbers for paralysis in the either the greater population or in children. Cases continue to be investigated at the practitioner level, but the data is not aggregated at the national level like some of the other notifiable diseases."

Old 10-05-2014, 01:12 PM

84,960 posts, read 98,776,620 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Sure I remember the stories. I also remember that none of them were diagnosed with enterovirs68, nor do I remember any of them being on respirators. @MJJersey- where is your epidemiology degree from?

Quote:

The connection between the enter virus and the paralysis has not been established. Where did you get YOUR epi degree?

Old 10-05-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Sure I remember the stories. I also remember that none of them were diagnosed with enterovirs68, nor do I remember any of them being on respirators. @MJJersey- where is your epidemiology degree from?

The connection between the enter virus and the paralysis has not been established. Where did you get YOUR epi degree?
The DHS reports only said "respiratory illness".

Old 10-05-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:

I'm just ready the many, many articles that are reporting paralysis in kids.
This new illness is related to the same virus that causes polio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration