Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 01:19 PM

6,258 posts, read 5,065,755 times

Advertisements

As the title says. Over a thousand kids in 10 states have contracted what is suspected to be enterovirus 68

More on enterovirus 68: Enterovirus 68 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

More here:
Mystery Respiratory Virus Likely to Hit Kids Across Country | abc7chicago.com

Memo from the Office Of Inspector General (DHS) dated July 30, 2014 includes in part :

Many UAC and family units require treatment for communicable diseases, including respiratory illnesses, tuberculosis, chicken pox, and scabies.UAC and family unit illnesses and unfamiliarity with bathroom facilities resulted in unsanitary conditions and exposure to human waste in some holding facilities. Contract cleaners and DHS employees are working to maintain sanitary conditions.DHS employees reported exposure to communicable diseases and becoming sick on duty. For example, during a recent site visit to the Del Rio USBP Station and Del Rio Port of Entry, CBP personnel reported contracting scabies, lice, and chicken pox. Two CBP Officers reported that their children were diagnosed with chicken pox within days ofthe CBP Officers' contact with a UAC who had chicken pox. In addition, USBP personnel at the Clint Station and Santa Teresa Station reported that they were potentially exposed to tuberculosis.

The entire memo:
http://www.oig.dhs.gov/assets/Mgmt/2...n_Ali_Chil.pdf

EV-D68 is not unknown in this country but it is rare. It was first recognized the 1960's and only 100 cases have been reported since that time.

I'm not saying the illegal kids brought it to this country, but given the rarity of this particular virus in the United States over the past 50 years, does anyone have information re: what (if any) treatment(s) were administered to illegal alien kids before they were released to travel the country?

Old 09-08-2014, 01:47 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 21 days ago)

27,630 posts, read 16,111,637 times
alls i know is kids only got sick once maybe twice a year decades ago..and rarely went to doctor... now it seems as if at least 4 to 5 times a year colds go around and single mommys run to the dr. every time (at least the ones i know)... globalism?? immigration??? whatever it be I dont think it worth it.. profiteers prob dont mind though.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:50 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,488,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
As the title says. Over a thousand kids in 10 states have contracted what is suspected to be enterovirus 68

More on enterovirus 68: Enterovirus 68 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

More here:
Mystery Respiratory Virus Likely to Hit Kids Across Country | abc7chicago.com

Memo from the Office Of Inspector General (DHS) dated July 30, 2014 includes in part :

Many UAC and family units require treatment for communicable diseases, including respiratory illnesses, tuberculosis, chicken pox, and scabies.UAC and family unit illnesses and unfamiliarity with bathroom facilities resulted in unsanitary conditions and exposure to human waste in some holding facilities. Contract cleaners and DHS employees are working to maintain sanitary conditions.DHS employees reported exposure to communicable diseases and becoming sick on duty. For example, during a recent site visit to the Del Rio USBP Station and Del Rio Port of Entry, CBP personnel reported contracting scabies, lice, and chicken pox. Two CBP Officers reported that their children were diagnosed with chicken pox within days ofthe CBP Officers' contact with a UAC who had chicken pox. In addition, USBP personnel at the Clint Station and Santa Teresa Station reported that they were potentially exposed to tuberculosis.

The entire memo:
http://www.oig.dhs.gov/assets/Mgmt/2...n_Ali_Chil.pdf

EV-D68 is not unknown in this country but it is rare. It was first recognized the 1960's and only 100 cases have been reported since that time.

I'm not saying the illegal kids brought it to this country, but given the rarity of this particular virus in the United States over the past 50 years, does anyone have information re: what (if any) treatment(s) were administered to illegal alien kids before they were released to travel the country?
I just caught a snippet from the news tonight about this virus and meant to catch up. Seems to me, though, if it was brought from illegal immigrants it would have hit the border states first, rather than the Midwest.

Last edited by TXNGL; 09-08-2014 at 11:51 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-09-2014, 12:03 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,451,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I just caught a snippet from the news tonight about this virus and meant to catch up. Seems to me, though, if it was brought from illegal immigrants it would have hit the border states first, rather than the Midwest.
A friend that lives near the Texas border commented about this today--with the dry desert heat she said her kids never get respiratory problems/colds, etc. until the weather cools off.

I heard an interview with a doctor today saying that the CDC is asking the same question about where this came from, but no official comments yet.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:30 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,107,675 times
Quote:
The government has spread illegals across the US, many by the bus loads to detention centers and then released. Others got a "notice to appear" and were released, put on a bus and given cash. Many were given plane tickets to their choice of destination. The government won't say how many went to what state. Many of the illegal children were held in detention camps that were made unsanitary by those being held. When you cram 100s of people into a detention center it's likely that people who are sick are going to spread whatever they have and entrovirus is easily spread.

Since this is hitting school kids and illegals are being put into public schools, and not all illegals were given a health clearance, I think there is a strong connection. Strange that it hit 8 states, don't you think? Some people can carry a contagious disease and not show any signs, kind of like being a host for the disease. Maybe kids that were examined were written off has having a "cold", the early signs of this virus? Back in the day when immigrants went through Ellis Island, if they had a cold they were immediately shipped back to their country.

School just started so we can wait and see if there are more outbreaks. Even if there are more outbreaks, I'm sure government will deny that it was due to illegals because, you know, they were given a health inspection and cleared for their good health.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
The government has spread illegals across the US, many by the bus loads to detention centers and then released. Others got a "notice to appear" and were released, put on a bus and given cash. Many were given plane tickets to their choice of destination. The government won't say how many went to what state. Many of the illegal children were held in detention camps that were made unsanitary by those being held. When you cram 100s of people into a detention center it's likely that people who are sick are going to spread whatever they have and entrovirus is easily spread.

Since this is hitting school kids and illegals are being put into public schools, and not all illegals were given a health clearance, I think there is a strong connection. Strange that it hit 8 states, don't you think? Some people can carry a contagious disease and not show any signs, kind of like being a host for the disease. Maybe kids that were examined were written off has having a "cold", the early signs of this virus? Back in the day when immigrants went through Ellis Island, if they had a cold they were immediately shipped back to their country.

School just started so we can wait and see if there are more outbreaks. Even if there are more outbreaks, I'm sure government will deny that it was due to illegals because, you know, they were given a health inspection and cleared for their good health.
I just don't know, only saying because I live in a state that has always had lots of illegal aliens, I mean throughout my lifetime (almost 50 years). Interesting thought, though. Perhaps those of us in border states have been exposed, and it was just seen as a regular "cold", while it's a new virus for folks in the Midwest?

Old 09-09-2014, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
A friend that lives near the Texas border commented about this today--with the dry desert heat she said her kids never get respiratory problems/colds, etc. until the weather cools off.

I heard an interview with a doctor today saying that the CDC is asking the same question about where this came from, but no official comments yet.
I have a friend in Kansas City who was talking about this virus. Waiting to see what the CDC says.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:21 PM

25,938 posts, read 22,083,977 times
Quote:
I saw Kansas on list. Kansas roles out the red carpet for them so they move quickly north so it would make sense to me. Sadly, I know a lot of them come into Kansas by bus so I am not sure what that means for bus travelers on down the road. They are flooding our state while politicians play dumb, well, maybe they are dumb. The meat industry brings in illegals into this state.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I saw Kansas on list. Kansas roles out the red carpet for them so they move quickly north so it would make sense to me. Sadly, I know a lot of them come into Kansas by bus so I am not sure what that means for bus travelers on down the road. They are flooding our state while politicians play dumb, well, maybe they are dumb. The meat industry brings in illegals into this state.
Saw on the news, again, tonight, that Texas is preparing but we have not had the numbers that other non-border states have seen. Y'all deal with a few industries, we've had illegals as long as I can remember, in all manual labor industries. It's just not making sense to me that this virus is becoming more prevalent due to illegal immigration. According to the news report I saw, it's been in the USA for decades, but seeing a rise now. It's similar to a cold virus but more severe and particularly dangerous to babies and people with asthma. Trying to think of a way to explain what I mean and Hep A comes to mind. It's probably (would have to look it up) more common here and in other states with a huge influx of immigrants, so much so that I had myself and my child vaccinated, though it's not on the regular CDC vaccination schedule in the USA. Easily passed through food servers (and kitchen staff), and where we are...well, huge number of illegal aliens.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:00 AM

13,609 posts, read 10,018,851 times
I think it may be found that it makes no difference if an immigrant is legal or illegal, they are still often coming from places where disease is rife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.