U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 08:03 PM

12 posts, read 15,104 times

Advertisements

I apologize ahead of time if I'm incorrect but...

It is my understanding it costs under $500 to come to America legally.
It is also my understanding coming illegally costs illegals at least $3,000 per person.

If this is true why don't they just come legally?
It makes no sense,logically,to do something illegally and lose money if you can do it leggaly and save money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 08:04 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,842,380 times
I would venture to guess that it takes less time to get here Illegally than wait for all the approvals necessary to come to the USA legally.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:06 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,890,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatLady13 View Post

It is also my understanding coming illegally costs illegals at least $3,000 per person.

It makes no sense,logically,to do something illegally and lose money if you can do it leggaly and save money.
It costs more than $500 to come legally, that however doesn't change the crimes committed by illegals or the reasoning. Like all criminals illegals opt to ignore laws that inconvenience them. Like all criminals illegals feel that their needs, wants and demands trumps the rights of society.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I would venture to guess that it takes less time to get here Illegally than wait for all the approvals necessary to come to the USA legally.
I would venture to guess that the majority of illegals couldn't pass even our low minimum standards to be granted an immigration VISA.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:19 PM

2,278 posts, read 2,336,058 times
I asked a couple co-workers about that last spring. They are Mexican nationals who are here on work visas in agriculture and have been for a long time.

According to one, and the others agreed, that some who cross illegally are ignorant of how to do it legally, others don't want to keep up on the paperwork that it takes to maintain Visa status. Still others don't want to comply with letting "immigration" know where they are. I guess that's a bit of paperwork and many of the immigrants are illiterate. And some came on some type of visa and either didn't understand all the requirements, or didn't want to bother with them and ended up being illegal. And then there are those who do not want to work, so a work visa or legal immigration would reject them.

We are so focused on the illegals from the south, I would like to see some numbers on the ones from other countries. As far as I'm concerned anyone here illegally needs to go.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I asked a couple co-workers about that last spring. They are Mexican nationals who are here on work visas in agriculture and have been for a long time.

According to one, and the others agreed, that some who cross illegally are ignorant of how to do it legally, others don't want to keep up on the paperwork that it takes to maintain Visa status. Still others don't want to comply with letting "immigration" know where they are. I guess that's a bit of paperwork and many of the immigrants are illiterate. And some came on some type of visa and either didn't understand all the requirements, or didn't want to bother with them and ended up being illegal. And then there are those who do not want to work, so a work visa or legal immigration would reject them.

We are so focused on the illegals from the south, I would like to see some numbers on the ones from other countries. As far as I'm concerned anyone here illegally needs to go.
Demographics of Immigrants in the United States Illegally - Illegal Immigration Solutions - ProCon.org
The reason the focus is on those from Mexico and countries from south of the border is that they account for the vast majority.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:14 PM

2,847 posts, read 1,852,003 times
Quote:

You are right, "you are incorrect".

Speaking from experience if cost over $10,000, with required travel, fees, permits, work permission, residency card, to citizenship and 7 years.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestintheWest View Post
You are right, "you are incorrect".

Speaking from experience if cost over $10,000, with required travel, fees, permits, work permission, residency card, to citizenship and 7 years.
hmmm I think the op was talking about getting that first VISA.
That doesn't change the fact that we don't owe anyone an easy, cheap or even an unbiased path. If someone wants to come here it is upon them to meet all of our standards.
But for the sake of argument. If they can't afford that 10grand then they can't afford to live here. They will be a burden upon this country. We produce enough burden on our own. We hardly need to import more burden.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:15 PM

2,847 posts, read 1,852,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
hmmm I think the op was talking about getting that first VISA.
That doesn't change the fact that we don't owe anyone an easy, cheap or even an unbiased path. If someone wants to come here it is upon them to meet all of our standards.
But for the sake of argument. If they can't afford that 10grand then they can't afford to live here. They will be a burden upon this country. We produce enough burden on our own. We hardly need to import more burden.
agree, keep the cost up and keep those out that cannot pay. This country has enough financial burden already.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:25 AM

539 posts, read 543,974 times
Quote:

I just saw this CNN article which pointed out some data on legal immigration:

Quote:
The latest State Department visa bulletin indicates that Mexicans sponsored by a sibling who filed by January 22, 1997, are just now having their applications considered.
Quote:
There are only a few ways immigrants can become permanent residents of America. They can be sponsored by an employer or a family member such as a parent, a spouse or a sibling who has permanent status in the United States.

They can enter the country as refugees fleeing violence, hardship and persecution or seek asylum on those same grounds.

And lastly, they could be one of 50,000 lucky recipients of diversity green cards doled out in a lottery each year.
Quote:
In 2012, for instance, 1,316,118 Mexican citizens applied for permanent residency. But the cap that year was 47,250.
Basically, a gazillion people want to get into the country every year, but we have quotas. (Which makes sense, as our infrastructure and society couldn't handle everyone arriving at once who wants to get here).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or