Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 04:01 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times

Advertisements

As A Person Who Immigrated To The Us From Canada , I Can Attest To The Requirements That Needed To Be Filled Inorder To Move Here. Not Everyone Can Qualify. If You Do Not Have A Good Education Or Professional Trade, Chances Are Slim If Anything. All Those Crossing From Mexico Illegally Quallify At Or Near The Bottom Of The Preferred List. Suppose You Are Applying For A Position Along With 19 Others. You Have A High School Diploma And The Others Have Less Education. The 19 Are Those From Mexico. This Is What Would Happen If We Had Legal Immigration As You Imply Should Be Implemented,nuff Said Stefhen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 04:56 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
As A Person Who Immigrated To The Us From Canada , I Can Attest To The Requirements That Needed To Be Filled Inorder To Move Here. Not Everyone Can Qualify. If You Do Not Have A Good Education Or Professional Trade, Chances Are Slim If Anything. All Those Crossing From Mexico Illegally Quallify At Or Near The Bottom Of The Preferred List. Suppose You Are Applying For A Position Along With 19 Others. You Have A High School Diploma And The Others Have Less Education. The 19 Are Those From Mexico. This Is What Would Happen If We Had Legal Immigration As You Imply Should Be Implemented,nuff Said Stefhen
My father; who was a political refugee from Hungary ca. 1950, he needed a sponsor to get into the USA.

Why it was so rough for him 'back home' with the Communists was that his dad was a lieutenant governor in a town called Szentes prior to WW II hence his son being 'Middle Class'------not proletariat.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:47 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times
I think we need to shut our borders down to legal and illegal until we get this mess straightened out. (That could take decades)
After the borders are closed, treat anyone entering this country illegally as you would someone entering your house illegally....SHOOT TO KILL! I bet they'll think twice after they have an M-16 in their face.
After we reopen the borders, be very selective who we let in.....
1) Must speak and read English fluently.
2) Must have an education or here to get one (at their expense).
3) Place a "limit" on money they wire "home".
4) Must report to an immigration officer weekly. (If parolees have to report to parole officers, so should they).
5) Are NOT eligible for government assistance of any kind. Violation results in deportation, permanently!

Old 12-27-2007, 03:22 AM

186 posts, read 335,451 times
This debate is not just about illegal immigration, it is about immigration period. We need a national moratorium.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:34 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcollegeboy View Post
This debate is not just about illegal immigration, it is about immigration period. We need a national moratorium.
I respectfully disagree about stopping all legal immigration.

Now; if the laws were rolled back to the pre 1965 ones; we will talk

And; to be honest, of 90% of the illegals with their Anchors were tossed, much of the hardline attitude would likely fade. Theoretically; 100% compliance would be great, but I am being realistic. It would likely not be cost effective to get that last illegal immigrant (assuming said illegal was not otherwise a flagrant criminal) if that situation diverted too many services from helping many other people who are legal.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:53 AM

87 posts, read 126,567 times
The USA is operating a full-employment economy, with an unemployment rate of only 4.7% (about 3% in WashDC area). Thus, as a practical matter, everyone who wants a job has one. If the 12 million "illegals" were to leave tomorrow, who would fill in for them? How many of you good folks want to pick onions, lettuce, cabbbages, strawberries and citrus fruit? Not many, I would guess.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:56 AM

87 posts, read 126,567 times
Wink "It is about immigration, period"

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcollegeboy View Post
There, you've said it! Everyone else squirms and refuses to acknowledge their true feelings (xenophobia, etc.) on this matter. It is about immigration per se, isn't it?

Old 12-27-2007, 08:00 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggjacobsen View Post
There, you've said it! Everyone else squirms and refuses to acknowledge their true feelings (xenophobia, etc.) on this matter. It is about immigration per se, isn't it?
Nope. I'm not against immigration, being a former immigrant myself and having sponsored my ex for a green card (this was when we were still married). Love the smug assumption though.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:04 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,748,612 times
Most of the anti- illegal immigration crowd are also against all forms of legal immigration. They are against family reunification, H-1 b visas, guest worker programs, diversity lottery program and any thing that would allow people to come here LEGALLY. Yet they claim they want people to come in legally.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:17 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Most of the anti- illegal immigration crowd are also against all forms of legal immigration. They are against family reunification, H-1 b visas, guest worker programs, diversity lottery program and any thing that would allow people to come here LEGALLY. Yet they claim they want people to come in legally.
Who says? I certainly haven't gotten that impression. I'm in favor of our current legal immigration system but I do not want the guest worker program expanded. (We already do have one.) How pompous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration