Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 11:03 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,692,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
How does one fly out of the country without a passport?
Good question, Synopsis.

Document verification when departing is primarily for entry to the destination country. If documentation is not adequate, the airline is responsible for the passenger and required to return him to point of origin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 11:56 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,544,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Who said the owner of the business was "pink necked"?

As a matter of fact, some of the most pervasive "illegal labor users" are legal immigrants and citizens of the same nationality that the illegal laborers are from.

My ex's father used to has a tomato distribution company. He used to get his tomatos from a legal Mexican who "recruited" and "hired" field workers.... probably 99% undocumented migrants. Same thing with Latino-owned landscape companies here in Florida.... “Garcia Landscaping” pickup trucks driving around with five illegal guys in the back, etc.

Similarly in New England, with a large Portuguese population, Brazilians are probably hired and attracted to the area by legal Portuguese and Brazilian employers and contractors.
No sale. If the predominance of illegal employers were Mexicans and other Latinos, the crackdowns on them would have been swift and relentless. And if the identities of these employers were as easily discernable as you just recited, the work would never been available, and this whole issue would be moot.

Nice try.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:58 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,396,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
No sale. If the predominance of illegal employers were Mexicans and other Latinos, the crackdowns on them would have been swift and relentless. And if the identities of these employers were as easily discernable as you just recited, the work would never been available, and this whole issue would be moot.

Nice try.

Nice try yourself. The point was that "some of the most" prolific "illegal users" ARE people "of" the same nationality or background as the illegals they employ.

Chinese restaurants, Mexican restaurants, Latino construction contractors and landscapers... ALL are primely situated to take advantage of illegal labor. I've known more than a few examples in my short time on this earth.

And spare the group your assumptions that "crackdowns" would be swift if the "poor wittle bwown people" were the ones conclusively engaging in the use of illegal labor. Obviously, since it IS happening NOW without repercussions, your tiresome attempts to bring it all back to race is without basis in reality.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:19 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,886 times
Quote:
Nice try yourself. The point was that "some of the most" prolific "illegal users" ARE people "of" the same nationality or background as the illegals they employ.
I know several examples of this personally, in which long-ago immigrants from Mexico, (two of whom I KNOW spent years as "illegals" themselves), now THEMSELVES employ many illegals, and come close to holding them in a sort of "bondage". I've seen this, and heard about it also from some of the "victims". It's a sort of an attempt to exert a kind of "God-father" influence over the "newbies". I've even seen cases where the 'host' will keep people's paychecks for 'safekeeping'...and drop broad hints about calling "la migra' in cases 'ingratitude'....

It has been a feature of MOST imigrant groups to the US. The "new people", confused and unsure of their rights, fall victim to a smooth-talking "paisano", who MAY or MAY not have their best interests in mind. But they trust the "evil they KNOW", more than the unknown "evil" of their strange new country....Some of the biggest victimizers of the new immigrants have ALWAYS been "nice boys from back home". They just sound so 'convincing'...

Old 12-28-2007, 05:28 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I know several examples of this personally, in which long-ago immigrants from Mexico, (two of whom I KNOW spent years as "illegals" themselves), now THEMSELVES employ many illegals, and come close to holding them in a sort of "bondage". I've seen this, and heard about it also from some of the "victims". It's a sort of an attempt to exert a kind of "God-father" influence over the "newbies". I've even seen cases where the 'host' will keep people's paychecks for 'safekeeping'...and drop broad hints about calling "la migra' in cases 'ingratitude'....

It has been a feature of MOST imigrant groups to the US. The "new people", confused and unsure of their rights, fall victim to a smooth-talking "paisano", who MAY or MAY not have their best interests in mind. But they trust the "evil they KNOW", more than the unknown "evil" of their strange new country....Some of the biggest victimizers of the new immigrants have ALWAYS been "nice boys from back home". They just sound so 'convincing'...
In one phrase: peon and patron.

macmeal is so correct-------again.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:46 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,692,946 times
Quote:
Damn shame, TriMT, you are absolutely correct on this point.

In this area the Mexican Business Owners are the first and most frequent to take advantage of the illegals.

Also, as to taking advantage, I have never heard of a Gringo coyote . . . they are always Mexicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration