U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 09:12 AM

15,989 posts, read 29,795,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
I still do not understand why so much outrage against illegals. It appears to me that the majority of people that are strongly against illegals are your typical ignorant, uneducated rednecks. Anyways, I live in Minnesota and although the illegal immigrant population is small here, I still do not understand how illegal immigration has affected my personal life negatively.

-Never had an illegal neighbor, and do not see many here anyways, they seem to be concentrated mostly in the poorer, most urban areas of Minneapolis, places I would not live in anyways

- Illegals sending their kids to our schools?! Not a chance! First, very few could afford to live in this suburb and if they choose to send their kids to our schools, as long as the kids want to get ahead and be productive members of society, who the hell cares?!

-Hospitals!? I have never seen any illegals in any of our hospitals, even if I see a family that might look illegal, who cares? What should we do? Kick them out and have them die?! That would be very ignorant!

My point is: The people that seem to complain the most about illegals are the ones that are at the bottom of society. I am not for people living here illegally and comitting crimes but so far, the negative impact illegals have had on my life is 0. So, what the hell is the big deal?!

Than you happen to be one of the lucky ones. I live next to them! THey play loud music all day,leave beer bottles in our yard,and let their kids run wild.

Have ever gone to a fast food place and had to have some one translate to the cashier what you were saying? Been cussed out at your job because you couldn't understand what a customer was saying? These are only a few of the ways illegal immigrants have affected my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 09:15 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskmd View Post
No. Most upper class people would gladly pay a little more to have their lawns mowed by people in this country legally. Don't let the above poster turn this into a class thing. As I said before, illegals hurt ALL Americans.
I believe the poster did -- by taking the tone that the elite class benefits from it's cheap illegal labor and so the rest of Americans can rot.

I don't think illegals do hurt ALL Americans -- not in the short run anyhow -- the gated community types think that their money will protect them -- and very often -- just like with the Mexican elite, it does. They hire security guards, send their kids to expensive private schools, enjoy unlimited cheap servants and serfs to wait on them.

There are those who want the USA to become like a Latin American country where the oligarchy and priveleged live like princes and most of the people are impoverished. Plus many really have a strong distaste for everything "middle class". They resent having to pay decent wages and compete for labor.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:20 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I just find it amusing that lukeache is being so lofty and arrogant in his assumption that everyone who is anti-illegal is a blue-collar redneck.

I have a BA, I speak four languages, I have lived abroad, and I grew up in one of Dallas's wealthiest areas. My parents are millionaires and once my BF and I kick off our business, hopefully we'll be well on our way to making our first million too.

And I'm anti-illegal. Why, you might ask? Well...because I GIVE A DAMN what happens to my fellow countrymen. Just because I haven't lost a job (yet) to an illegal, that does not mean that it's OK for other people to lose theirs. The effects of illegal immigration in this state are unbearable and many of the people bearing the brunt of the illegal invasion are ones who are least able to fend it off. It's unacceptable.

What a horrifically pompous and arrogant post the first post in this thread was. I am utterly disgusted by lukeache's attitude.
Yes -- it was pompous -- and you're right because not all well-to-do think only about short term benefits to themselves by having unlimited cheap labor.

Some care what's right for America -- and they don't admire the arrogant elite societies of third world countries and want to emulate that. Some though see themselves immune from the problems and they see anyone that doesn't belong to their country club as just some lowly redneck who deserves to be pushed down to the level of a third world worker.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:22 AM

751 posts, read 845,764 times
It has nothing to do with elitism. I just do not see how illegals are affecting upper-middle/middle class suburbs. Even in California, I mean, I can understand LA proper having an illegal immigrant problem but do you honestly see a lot of illegals in places like Santa Monica, Ventura or Marina Del Rey!? or even San Diego that is right across the border, I have been to SD many times and have not seen many illegals there, except in some very undesirable parts of SD proper. It seems like illegals are affecting mostly lower-middle class neighborhoods in my opinion. Like I said, some of the towns here in MN that have fast growing Hispanic populations like Albert Lea, Faribault, Owatonna are not by any means attractive or fancy places, they were mostly dying farm towns that now are starting to boom. So, my theory is that illegals usually go to places that are far from being desirable.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:25 AM

25,107 posts, read 34,371,245 times
Quote:
or even San Diego that is right across the border, I have been to SD many times and have not seen many illegals there,
Ah, how do you know you "have not seen many illegals there"? Do illegals wear signs?

I'm sorry, and with all respect, you made a very foolish statement there -

Old 12-28-2007, 10:28 AM

3,830 posts, read 9,144,181 times
Illegal and undocumented immigration makes me bone-tired of hearing ignorant arguments about the subject. There is a heap of nonsense about its economic effect and just who gains from having a non-complaining, low paid workforce in the US. Personally, I would be happy if everyone took a 6 month break in discussing the issue.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:04 AM

2,584 posts, read 9,362,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Personally, I would be happy if everyone took a 6 month break in discussing the issue.
I agree, let's just all ignore it for six months, it will probably solve itself and go away

Old 12-28-2007, 11:19 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,690,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Illegal and undocumented immigration makes me bone-tired of hearing ignorant arguments about the subject. There is a heap of nonsense about its economic effect and just who gains from having a non-complaining, low paid workforce in the US. Personally, I would be happy if everyone took a 6 month break in discussing the issue.
If you're "bone-tired" of the illegal immigration argument, why in the name of all that is sane, are you hanging about in an Immigration Forum?

Just wonderin'.....

Old 12-29-2007, 06:30 AM

12,870 posts, read 12,775,361 times
Quote:
I still do not understand why so much outrage against illegals. It appears to me that the majority of people that are strongly against illegals are your typical ignorant, uneducated rednecks. Anyways, I live in Minnesota and although the illegal immigrant population is small here, I still do not understand how illegal immigration has affected my personal life negatively.

-Never had an illegal neighbor, and do not see many here anyways, they seem to be concentrated mostly in the poorer, most urban areas of Minneapolis, places I would not live in anyways

- Illegals sending their kids to our schools?! Not a chance! First, very few could afford to live in this suburb and if they choose to send their kids to our schools, as long as the kids want to get ahead and be productive members of society, who the hell cares?!

-Hospitals!? I have never seen any illegals in any of our hospitals, even if I see a family that might look illegal, who cares? What should we do? Kick them out and have them die?! That would be very ignorant!

My point is: The people that seem to complain the most about illegals are the ones that are at the bottom of society. I am not for people living here illegally and comitting crimes but so far, the negative impact illegals have had on my life is 0. So, what the hell is the big deal?!
you must stay on your computer all day typing insulting things, and you clearly do not work in a hospital or teach school if you think it only affects the bottom percentage of the society, (oh no, you didn't say that!) you go vote and then i will go vote and cancel you out.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:50 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Note to whom it may concern:

The backbone of any true Democracy is a strong and vibrant Middle Class majority.

Most of the 'elite' could lose their $$$ and privilege and be really none the worse for wear.

Take a look at a typical regular sized single family house lot: it has typically been around 50' x 100'. Too big the homeowner may need hire help for basic repair maintenance. Too small, said lot may be too cramped for the 'Middle Class' lifestyle.

To me: Middle Class people are the teachers, police officers, nurses, auto mechanics, etc. Some are college graduates and others either went to trade schools and/or were apprentices.

As for your investment banker and other 'Yuppie' types; we could lose 3/4's of them and who would miss their presence? Not I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or