U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 10:58 AM

1,735 posts, read 4,146,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Note to whom it may concern:

The backbone of any true Democracy is a strong and vibrant Middle Class majority.

Most of the 'elite' could lose their $$$ and privilege and be really none the worse for wear.

Take a look at a typical regular sized single family house lot: it has typically been around 50' x 100'. Too big the homeowner may need hire help for basic repair maintenance. Too small, said lot may be too cramped for the 'Middle Class' lifestyle.

To me: Middle Class people are the teachers, police officers, nurses, auto mechanics, etc. Some are college graduates and others either went to trade schools and/or were apprentices.

As for your investment banker and other 'Yuppie' types; we could lose 3/4's of them and who would miss their presence? Not I.
More like 15/16.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 10:19 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,050,894 times
For me personally, I suppose some of things that I buy and some services I use are cheaper. But then I probably pay higher taxes that are applied toward services that illegal immigrants use. My job isn't one that would ever be taken by an illegal alien. So in my personal case, it may even out. I really don't know. Some things are cheaper because of them and my taxes are higher because of them. But considering what I pay to the IRS in taxes at the end of the year, in relation to what I make, I think that my taxes are quite a bargain, really. The sales tax in my town is high, but that's more to do with our corrupt city government and the high wages and benefits that are paid to our municipal employees and the the thousands of retired ones.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:34 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,195,760 times
Our sheriff broke up a "**** fighting ring" inside our town limits. How would you like that as a next door neighbor. There were several families living in the same house in a single family neighborhood that had been a respectable chicken farm. I guess "**** fighting" was more profitable. At least you asked the question and I think it has been answered. Key word here is illegal. One has to wonder what part of "illegal" does a good American citizen not understand.

The neighbors noticed a lot of cars gathering and snooped to see what they were doing. I guess we are just a town of law abiding citizens. Wish the citizens of Charlotte would ban together like that. Maybe they could get rid of their illegal gangs.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,380 times
in order to really understand a situation you must be in both shoes. could anyone of you really picture yourself walking many miles leaving your family your home in order to try to earn a better living. if you even talk to any immagrants they will tell you that all they want to do is to go back home. the reason that immagrants "take" many jobs is becaouse of their hunger of becoming a better person. To send back to their neighborhoods what their government wasn't able to provide. they will do anything to give their kids proper food and cloths. i'm a full time student and i work at a fast food resturant to make a little money and i have seen many examples of this determination. when the boss asked some that wasn't an illigal immagrant to clean inside of cabinate were the garbage bin was placed they did it without question a week later the boss asked a U.S born employee to clean the same trash bin and the employee replyed "no i'm only being payed minimum and that doesn't pay enough to clean some garbage bin." Little things like that shows the reason why the immagrants are always shown and proven to be hard workers and why many companies need them. they need people with that attetude of wanting to be good worker. both sides of the arguements are highly understandable but people should place themself on both sides of the border in order to understand the bigger picture.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:06 AM

185 posts, read 319,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muah!123 View Post
in order to really understand a situation you must be in both shoes. could anyone of you really picture yourself walking many miles leaving your family your home in order to try to earn a better living. if you even talk to any immagrants they will tell you that all they want to do is to go back home. the reason that immagrants "take" many jobs is becaouse of their hunger of becoming a better person. To send back to their neighborhoods what their government wasn't able to provide. they will do anything to give their kids proper food and cloths. i'm a full time student and i work at a fast food resturant to make a little money and i have seen many examples of this determination. when the boss asked some that wasn't an illigal immagrant to clean inside of cabinate were the garbage bin was placed they did it without question a week later the boss asked a U.S born employee to clean the same trash bin and the employee replyed "no i'm only being payed minimum and that doesn't pay enough to clean some garbage bin." Little things like that shows the reason why the immagrants are always shown and proven to be hard workers and why many companies need them. they need people with that attetude of wanting to be good worker. both sides of the arguements are highly understandable but people should place themself on both sides of the border in order to understand the bigger picture.
I too look at both sides. Anything taken by an illegal for their better life is denied an American citizen who, I imagine, would like a better life too.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:47 AM

1,861 posts, read 2,972,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribster View Post
I too look at both sides. Anything taken by an illegal for their better life is denied an American citizen who, I imagine, would like a better life too.
Exactly.

And, personally, I don't CARE if illegal immigration affects me (although it does). The biggest problem is that it affects AMERICA, and where it's going, and where our taxmoney is going.

I don't HAVE to be "personally" affected. That would be selfish to not want to save the country, just because I don't have illegals in my town. It's for ALL of us, and mostly, for future generations.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 5,380 times
What Is America. I Always Thought That Mexico Is In America. The Proper Name For Mexico Is, The United States Of Mexico. And This Becaouse Mexico Is Made Up Of 31 States. People Always Refer America To Just The United States When In Reality Everyone In Mexcio, Guatemala...ect..they Are All Americans. This Is Only A Simple Proof Of Our Ignorance. It's An Example Of Our Culture. And I As An United States American Try To Look At The Bigger Picture. I Don't Belive That Illigals Should Come And Expand Crime Or Anything Of The Sort. The Bigger Picture Is That People Migrate. That Will Never Stop It Does Not Just Happen Here. The Question Is How As The People That We Are Going To Help The Situation. Belive It Or Not This Country Is Made Up Of Illigals. They Also Help The Economy. People Might Not Care About Them Becaouse They Are Not In Their Situation.

I Would Love To See Anyone Send Their Kids To These Third World Countries And Just See How They Do. We Are A Spoiled Country We Have Everything Compared To Others. Now If You Were A Parent Of The Kids From These Countries You Would Do The Same As Illigals. And Go To A Country That Has Many Oppertunities.

What Can We Do As People To Educate Others About This Situation. Not A One Sided Thing. I Love This Country But There Are Other Things Besides Illigal Immergrants That Our Tax Money Gose To. Trust Me.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:57 PM

185 posts, read 319,996 times
Quote:
Now If You Were A Parent Of The Kids From These Countries You Would Do The Same As Illigals. And Go To A Country That Has Many Oppertunities.
Illegally, not in a million years! I'm accountable for my actions and don't break laws, ruin lives (identitiy theft, job displacement, lowering wages, DEATH) and drag others down with me. Most of my life I've done without....

I've worked my butt off my entire life, most of the time only to be taken advantage of. Things are finally getting better but it's been a huge struggle along the way........right here on American soil.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:06 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,855,767 times
Here's one way it affects me -- there has been a junk vehicle parked on the street for two weeks across from one of my properties. No vehicle can be parked for more than 24 hours on the street. I could print all the back-and-forth email correspondence, but I reported it over a week ago and it is still there - not even tagged with a red removal sticker yet. Someone with a hispanic surname name was sent out to inspect and claimed it was not there - I wrote back to the boss yes, it is there. Then he wrote back, saying the officer said it was not there..the latest is I sent a picture so I don't know how they are going to refute that...but I wouldn't doubt it.

OTOH if a fence picket falls off at one of my houses, I can get a $200 + fine with no warning..

Old 05-01-2008, 02:30 PM

13,077 posts, read 21,228,410 times
Quote:
What Is America. I Always Thought That Mexico Is In America. The Proper Name For Mexico Is, The United States Of Mexico. And This Becaouse Mexico Is Made Up Of 31 States. People Always Refer America To Just The United States When In Reality Everyone In Mexcio, Guatemala...ect..they Are All Americans. This Is Only A Simple Proof Of Our Ignorance. It's An Example Of Our Culture. And I As An United States American Try To Look At The Bigger Picture. I Don't Belive That Illigals Should Come And Expand Crime Or Anything Of The Sort. The Bigger Picture Is That People Migrate. That Will Never Stop It Does Not Just Happen Here. The Question Is How As The People That We Are Going To Help The Situation. Belive It Or Not This Country Is Made Up Of Illigals. They Also Help The Economy. People Might Not Care About Them Becaouse They Are Not In Their Situation.

I Would Love To See Anyone Send Their Kids To These Third World Countries And Just See How They Do. We Are A Spoiled Country We Have Everything Compared To Others. Now If You Were A Parent Of The Kids From These Countries You Would Do The Same As Illigals. And Go To A Country That Has Many Oppertunities.

What Can We Do As People To Educate Others About This Situation. Not A One Sided Thing. I Love This Country But There Are Other Things Besides Illigal Immergrants That Our Tax Money Gose To. Trust Me.
I am having a difficult time trusting you, since you claim to be a US citizen, but at the same time, this post you shared with us butchered the English language with poor grammar, improper syntax and punctuation, and not to mention the consistently misspelled words.

Regarding your point about how we have everything compared to others - if we start handing out what we have to everyone who doesn't already have, then what will that leave us? That's right, empty hands. Incidentally, as a nation, we donate millions to needy countries the world around.

If the proper name of Mexico is the United States of Mexico, how does that support your argument that Mexico is in fact America? If you want to know how the US is considered "America", I will explain:

The country of USA, United States of America, is often referred to as simply "America" for the sake of brevity. If we are talking about CONTINENTS, in that case we have NORTH America, and SOUTH America (and Central America if you want to be really specific). A continent is not a country, unless it's Australia.

I hope that helps for a better understanding; and in the future, I would suggest not capitalizing each word so it will be easier on the forum readers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or