U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-02-2008, 01:20 AM
 
Location: Westbury,NY
2,940 posts, read 6,989,842 times
Reputation: 1366

Advertisements

How do illegals effect me? Where do I start? I have to travel by bus here in Nassau county, and have been doing so for years. In the past couple of years the buses have gotten very crowded with "day laborers", often used for landscaping. It's often so crowded you cant get a seat, let alone move. The illegals smell terrible and make the buses very dirty. And they get drunk on the bus. I was getting sick so much I decided to wear a face mask on the bus so I dont have to breathe in their germs, since they spread disease around (because they're here illegally, who knows what germs they have).
Everyday I dread having to take the bus, and it's often a game of trying to avoid getting jammed up.
Then there's that apartment house of horrors that I had by the train station. A group of 6-8 guys moved into the one bedroom apartment next to me. They came in the middle of the night. They were blasting music constantly, getting drunk, getting into fights, urinating and spilling beer into the stairway. The landlord was using them in their landscaping business. I had to move out! But I stayed in Westbury. I'm beginning to think that was a mistake.
They've turned my town into a barrio, walking down the main street you see them out loitering and drinking. They tag gang signs for MS-13 and VL all over town. Street by street houses get sold and then bought by slumlords and turned into flophouses.
My neighborhood is one of many though, and there are even worse barrios on Long Island. You are never far from one.
I go out and try to encourage people to do their own lawn or make sure the landscape contractor hires legal workers. Most people don't care.
They dont deal with the consequences, but I do. Long Island used to be more solidly middle class but has now been split into ghettos and rich snobby neighborhoods.
And I didn't even get into being attacked by a loose dog, the owner keeps giving different names, maybe that's an illegal too.
To me it's all a class battle. The rich snobby folks and the corporations are trying to turn this country into Mexico, where there is no middle class. They are getting rich at our expense. They bring these illegals here. These execs who live in East hills dont care what hiring illegals does, as long as it "stays in Westbury".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2008, 01:46 AM
 
394 posts, read 897,347 times
Reputation: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
I still do not understand why so much outrage against illegals. It appears to me that the majority of people that are strongly against illegals are your typical ignorant, uneducated rednecks. Anyways, I live in Minnesota and although the illegal immigrant population is small here, I still do not understand how illegal immigration has affected my personal life negatively.

-Never had an illegal neighbor, and do not see many here anyways, they seem to be concentrated mostly in the poorer, most urban areas of Minneapolis, places I would not live in anyways

- Illegals sending their kids to our schools?! Not a chance! First, very few could afford to live in this suburb and if they choose to send their kids to our schools, as long as the kids want to get ahead and be productive members of society, who the hell cares?!

-Hospitals!? I have never seen any illegals in any of our hospitals, even if I see a family that might look illegal, who cares? What should we do? Kick them out and have them die?! That would be very ignorant!

My point is: The people that seem to complain the most about illegals are the ones that are at the bottom of society. I am not for people living here illegally and comitting crimes but so far, the negative impact illegals have had on my life is 0. So, what the hell is the big deal?!
speaking of ignorant, look up ignorance in the dictionary....YOU'LL FIND THIS POST! heavy sighs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2008, 02:14 AM
 
394 posts, read 897,347 times
Reputation: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Illegal and undocumented immigration makes me bone-tired of hearing ignorant arguments about the subject. There is a heap of nonsense about its economic effect and just who gains from having a non-complaining, low paid workforce in the US. Personally, I would be happy if everyone took a 6 month break in discussing the issue.
and the hits just keep on comin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2008, 11:29 AM
 
16,092 posts, read 35,820,457 times
Reputation: 6264
John in Westbury -- we are having a huge problem here with illegals letting dogs roam wild - they get in packs and attack and kill other pets and have also hurt people. Authorities don't to touch the subject because they are afraid of being called racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2008, 10:13 AM
 
Location: US
3,079 posts, read 3,341,776 times
Reputation: 1629
In the words of William F. Buckley, I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting you actually believe what you just said!


From: A redneck, blue collar worker.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
I still do not understand why so much outrage against illegals. It appears to me that the majority of people that are strongly against illegals are your typical ignorant, uneducated rednecks. Anyways, I live in Minnesota and although the illegal immigrant population is small here, I still do not understand how illegal immigration has affected my personal life negatively.

-Never had an illegal neighbor, and do not see many here anyways, they seem to be concentrated mostly in the poorer, most urban areas of Minneapolis, places I would not live in anyways

- Illegals sending their kids to our schools?! Not a chance! First, very few could afford to live in this suburb and if they choose to send their kids to our schools, as long as the kids want to get ahead and be productive members of society, who the hell cares?!

-Hospitals!? I have never seen any illegals in any of our hospitals, even if I see a family that might look illegal, who cares? What should we do? Kick them out and have them die?! That would be very ignorant!

My point is: The people that seem to complain the most about illegals are the ones that are at the bottom of society. I am not for people living here illegally and comitting crimes but so far, the negative impact illegals have had on my life is 0. So, what the hell is the big deal?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2008, 10:45 AM
 
4 posts, read 7,639 times
Reputation: 13
I live in a small town. There are migrant workers because of farming as well as other because of a pork processing plant. Basically there is nothing done about illegal immigration here because the politicians prefer growth. What harm does it do?

The schools continuously add additional staff to provide ESL as well as translators. Government agencies,schools employment advertisements specifically say they prefer those who speak Spanish as well as English. Here is the hard reality, government and business want their growth but they didn't plan for it. So streets are overcrowded, social programs are underfunded or ever expanding funding, schools are underfunded and ever expanding funding. My opinion is that my rights, and the rights of other citizens have suffered immensely. It is against the law to check citizenship here for voting for registration, only an affidavit that you are a citizen is allowed. The state promotes home mortgages at low interest rates for undocumented, as well as health care for undocumented. There are a vast menu of benefits at the tax payer expense available. It is against the law in most cases to check immigration status for these. This State also is willing to break the law and give undocumented in state tuition at higher education, although out of state students that are citizens still have to pay out of state. We have decided to move to another state after living here most my life, much of my family is here, I own a home here. Its just not cost effective to continue to pay the high cost of living and taxes that being a middle income citizen in this state requires. Maybe the rich can deal with it, and the poor have benefits, but the middle income are struggling just to buy gas and food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2008, 05:02 PM
 
16,092 posts, read 35,820,457 times
Reputation: 6264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Here's one way it affects me -- there has been a junk vehicle parked on the street for two weeks across from one of my properties. No vehicle can be parked for more than 24 hours on the street. I could print all the back-and-forth email correspondence, but I reported it over a week ago and it is still there - not even tagged with a red removal sticker yet. Someone with a hispanic surname name was sent out to inspect and claimed it was not there - I wrote back to the boss yes, it is there. Then he wrote back, saying the officer said it was not there..the latest is I sent a picture so I don't know how they are going to refute that...but I wouldn't doubt it.

OTOH if a fence picket falls off at one of my houses, I can get a $200 + fine with no warning..
UPDATE: City came by and put a red sticker on the vehicle. They moved it around to a corner makeshift driveway for a couple of days. Now it's back on the street. The process must start all over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2008, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Full time RV"er
2,403 posts, read 5,628,002 times
Reputation: 1459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
UPDATE: City came by and put a red sticker on the vehicle. They moved it around to a corner makeshift driveway for a couple of days. Now it's back on the street. The process must start all over.
***** I need to ask a question again that i have asked on many sites. If you are not happy with your city officials then your choise is to vote them out of office. To do that you need to go to the city councel meetings and voice your discontent to them face to face. DO YOU GO TO THE CITY COUNCEL MEETING ? That will get faster results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2008, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas
1,917 posts, read 6,312,364 times
Reputation: 1958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
***** I need to ask a question again that i have asked on many sites. If you are not happy with your city officials then your choise is to vote them out of office. To do that you need to go to the city councel meetings and voice your discontent to them face to face. DO YOU GO TO THE CITY COUNCEL MEETING ? That will get faster results.
Exactly!! PEOPLE need to get involved. It starts at the local level. Go to your city council meetings, go to your state's legislature meetings, etc. GO, GO, GO.
The squeaky wheel gets the greasin'.

Write to your state representatives and senators. I am Mexican born and came here LEGALLY with my mom and brother. My mom is a US CITIZEN through her mother. I am not for illegal immigration either, but I do know several people who are here illegally. Even if they get deported, they come right back the next week! I always wonder how they do it and how can they afford to pay a "coyote" to bring them back in?? Are the "coyotes" bribing some border patrol agents?? I wonder....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2008, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Full time RV"er
2,403 posts, read 5,628,002 times
Reputation: 1459
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
Exactly!! PEOPLE need to get involved. It starts at the local level. Go to your city council meetings, go to your state's legislature meetings, etc. GO, GO, GO.
The squeaky wheel gets the greasin'.

Write to your state representatives and senators. I am Mexican born and came here LEGALLY with my mom and brother. My mom is a US CITIZEN through her mother. I am not for illegal immigration either, but I do know several people who are here illegally. Even if they get deported, they come right back the next week! I always wonder how they do it and how can they afford to pay a "coyote" to bring them back in?? Are the "coyotes" bribing some border patrol agents?? I wonder....
WOW! thanks for your post GOOD to see others that know what it takes to make changes. The sad part is the answer to your question " Are the coyotes bribing some border patrol agents" please look at thses sites (North American Super Highway and North American Security Agreement ) . On one hand the Government is acting like it is working to close the border, but in reallity they already in the process of building a road from Mexico to Canada with free access to both country's! They are already planning a joint Police force with Mexican and Canada's police inforcing laws in what now is "OUR" United States of America. And the sad part is that they are really not even trying to hide these facts!.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top