U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 01:28 PM

751 posts, read 844,905 times

Advertisements

I still do not understand why so much outrage against illegals. It appears to me that the majority of people that are strongly against illegals are your typical ignorant, uneducated rednecks. Anyways, I live in Minnesota and although the illegal immigrant population is small here, I still do not understand how illegal immigration has affected my personal life negatively.

-Never had an illegal neighbor, and do not see many here anyways, they seem to be concentrated mostly in the poorer, most urban areas of Minneapolis, places I would not live in anyways

- Illegals sending their kids to our schools?! Not a chance! First, very few could afford to live in this suburb and if they choose to send their kids to our schools, as long as the kids want to get ahead and be productive members of society, who the hell cares?!

-Hospitals!? I have never seen any illegals in any of our hospitals, even if I see a family that might look illegal, who cares? What should we do? Kick them out and have them die?! That would be very ignorant!

My point is: The people that seem to complain the most about illegals are the ones that are at the bottom of society. I am not for people living here illegally and comitting crimes but so far, the negative impact illegals have had on my life is 0. So, what the hell is the big deal?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 01:35 PM

8,240 posts, read 14,896,860 times
Deep breath.....
How do they affect you?

1)Your taxes pay for illegal workers to go to the hospital (because their employers don't have to pay benefits) and for their kids to go to school (even if they don't go to your school district...in Texas we have a 'Robin Hood' plan where richer tax districts send money to poorer ones)

2)Wages are driven down by illegal workers. This has a 'ripple effect' on all jobs, and increases people living in poverty who are competing against lower paid illegal workers. Those people get welfare/assistance and who pays? YOU do.

3)We have a border which is wide open, illegal workers are here with no background checks. If you believe 9-11 was masterminded by terrorists (another thread..) then you should not sleep well in your expensive suburb knowing that there are people here illegally who could do the same thing again.

4)Illegal workers are being exploited by employers. If for no other reason, even if you are the most liberal of Democrats, the most benevolent of Multiculturalists, this should bother you.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:37 PM

20,014 posts, read 20,509,618 times
Well, of course honey. It would be those negatively affected that would be speaking out. I dont understand why you think it is ignorant, uneducated rednecks that are against illegal activity and wish to uphold the law of the land, but thanks for the complement.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:46 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
I still do not understand why so much outrage against illegals. It appears to me that the majority of people that are strongly against illegals are your typical ignorant, uneducated rednecks. Anyways, I live in Minnesota and although the illegal immigrant population is small here, I still do not understand how illegal immigration has affected my personal life negatively.
Perhaps it is because you lack perspective about the negative impact of illegals on the quality of life for those here legally:

A) Overcrowded schools - some report that their student population base is as high as 30% illegals

B) Overcrowded hospitals and ER's - illegals use these facilities - don't pay the bill - many er's / clinics have had to close due to lack of funding

C) Over burdened residents - AZ alone, in 2006, the cost to the taxpayers was in excess of 1 Billion dollars - to pay the costs associated with illegals alone

D) Increased crime rates - many of the illegals are bringing additional crimes to neighborhoods - drugs, prostitution, murders, thefts

E) Reduction in jobs for Legals - many illegals are employed in areas where those here legally would, in fact work - those jobs are not available to the legals / citizens
ETC

Old 12-27-2007, 01:47 PM

11,878 posts, read 32,921,320 times
Quote:
I live in Minnesota and although the illegal immigrant population is small here, I still do not understand how illegal immigration has affected my personal life negatively.
lukeache, you answered your own question. The reason it probably hasn't affected your personal life negatively is because there is a very small illegal population in your state. Move down to Texas, or Arizona, or California and the problems caused by illegal immigration will hit you in the face everywhere you turn; increased traffic, increased crime, increased taxes to pay for social services, communication problems with workers across the board that do not speak fluent English, and more.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:47 PM

751 posts, read 844,905 times
1)Your taxes pay for illegal workers to go to the hospital (because their employers don't have to pay benefits) and for their kids to go to school (even if they don't go to your school district...in Texas we have a 'Robin Hood' plan where richer tax districts send money to poorer ones)

Moderator cut: offensive comments

2)Wages are driven down by illegal workers. This has a 'ripple effect' on all jobs, and increases people living in poverty who are competing against lower paid illegal workers. Those people get welfare/assistance and who pays? YOU do.

Neurosurgeon wages are being driven down by illegals?! LOL. Unless you work a very low-skill type of job, I would not be too concerned about an illegal driving down corporate wages.

3)We have a border which is wide open, illegal workers are here with no background checks. If you believe 9-11 was masterminded by terrorists (another thread..) then you should not sleep well in your expensive suburb knowing that there are people here illegally who could do the same thing again.

Maybe that is a reason for concern. Why not create an ID system for illegals!?.That way, at least we would know who they are instead of allowing them to have "ghost status"

4)Illegal workers are being exploited by employers. If for no other reason, even if you are the most liberal of Democrats, the most benevolent of Multiculturalists, this should bother you.

And the American workers aren't?! LOL..Enough said!

Old 12-27-2007, 01:58 PM

11,878 posts, read 32,921,320 times
Quote:
Neurosurgeon wages are being driven down by illegals?! LOL. Unless you work a very low-skill type of job, I would not be too concerned about an illegal driving down corporate wages.
So you pick one element of society that is at the upper end of the pay scale and use that as your example? Neurosurgeons are not affected? LOL. For your information, blue color workers are not a "very low-skill job" and those jobs were performed by legal residents and citizens until the wages were driven down by corporations seeking illegal labor. It sounds as though there is not a lot of respect for people who work with their hands, and those who do other manual labor type jobs.

Quote:
Maybe that is a reason for concern. Why not create an ID system for illegals!?.That way, at least we would know who they are instead of allowing them to have "ghost status"
Why not enforce the laws that we already have on the books instead of giving them a free pass?

Quote:
And the American workers aren't?! LOL..Enough said!
Exactly! The American workers are being exploited by the companies who are using illegals as slave labor.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:26 PM

9,616 posts, read 9,467,492 times
[quote=lukeache;2344840]1)

Actually, they are. Very much so. Medicaid is a fixed pool of money. The more people drawing from it, the less the doctor gets paid for each procedure. Not to mention all the ones that don't pay their doctor bills at all. This is lost wages for doctors. Plus, the higher ones tax bracket is, the more one pays toward social programs for people who don't belong here. I work very closely with several neurosurgeons. They are completely against illegal immigration.

If someone comes into an ER with a true emergency, they MUST be treated. But these people SHOULD be going to ERs in their own country instead of leaving us with the bill. Hence, the resentment.

To say that only "ignorant rednecks" are against illegal immigrants is in itself an ignorant statement. Just because a few corporate bigwigs want cheap labor doesn't mean non-"rednecks" are pro-illegal. The majority of highly educated people are vehemently opposed to illegal immigrants. This problem harms all Americans across the spectrum.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:30 PM

2,290 posts, read 4,946,710 times
I continue to vote for the pro-business politicians, who are in the pockets of the industry lobbyists, which industries profit on the cheap labor of undocumented workers.

It's a good thing I'm not the problem.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:30 PM

185 posts, read 319,436 times
You will see in due time when there is not one safe corner left in America. It may already be too late.

One indication is machete wielding savages;

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/story.asp?s=7528585

Las Vegas police say they've arrested the suspect in a brutal triple slashing that left a 46-year-old woman dead and her son and daughter critically wounded.

Victor Cruz, 29, was arrested without incident in southeast Las Vegas after authorities posted a bulletin identifying him as probably armed and extremely dangerous.

Police say he also uses the name Victor Orlando Cruz-Garcia. He's alleged to have attacked the three people with a machete or large knife about 8:45 p.m. Thursday at their apartment a few blocks northeast of downtown Las Vegas.

Reports say the 27-year-old son is missing an arm. Police say he and his 12-year-old sister are in critical condition.

Another sign is unspeakable murders, rapes and slaughters;

Published - Saturday, December 01, 2007

.LA CROSSE, Wis. — A jury on Friday convicted Irvin Ramirez in the beating death of a University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point student.

Ramirez, 25, will face a mandatory life prison sentence after a La Crosse County jury found him guilty of first-degree intentional homicide and attempted second-degree sexual assault in the Jan. 21 slaying of Danielle Gorectke.

The 23-year-old from Minocqua, Wis., had been visiting her sister when they became separated at a downtown La Crosse bar just before closing time early Jan. 21.

A snowplow driver found her body about 8 a.m. that day at the base of steps to Christ Covenant Church on Hwy. B.

It took the jury of six men and six women about 2 1/2 hours to find Ramirez, a Mexican national who admitted he had been living in Onalaska illegally, guilty on the two charges but innocent of robbery by use of force.

Ramirez appeared to show no emotion when the verdicts were read. He later hugged his girlfriend before being taken back to jail.

La Crosse County District Attorney Tim Gruenke said the split decision didn’t surprise him, even though Ramirez was caught with Gorectke’s purse and witnesses testified he had tried to use her bank card before he was arrested about 4 a.m. Jan. 21 at a gas station in La Crescent, Minn.

“I think the motive for the crime was always sexual or financial or both,” Gruenke said.

Gruenke cited DNA and other evidence to suggest Ramirez picked up a drunk and lost Gorectke, drove her to the church parking lot, tried to force her to have sex and then viciously beat her when she refused.

Ramirez likely pushed Gorectke down stairs at the church, Gruenke said, leaving her paralyzed from a spinal cord injury. He then stomped on her head hard enough to embed blood and hairs in his shoes, grabbed Gorectke by the ears and slammed her head into the concrete before biting off and spitting out part of her lip, Gruenke said.

Before leaving the dying Gorectke, Ramirez did one more “degrading and de****able act” — he urinated on her, leaving behind another piece of DNA evidence, Gruenke said.

Ramirez painted a different scenario Thursday, testifying he had stopped on a dark downtown street to urinate when he found a purse on the sidewalk. He then was startled when a bloody-faced woman grabbed his leg as he relieved himself against a building.

He got Gorectke’s blood on his jacket, jeans, shoes and watch as he unsuccessfully tried to get her to his car, he said, but eventually he left her with his cell phone so she could call for help. Ramirez said he was unwilling to make the call himself because of his illegal status and fear he would be blamed for her injuries.

Defense attorney Ronald Benavides called his client’s decision to leave “the stupid actions of a drunk man” but said Ramirez’s fear was understandable.

I have several personal accounts of misery courtesy of illegal aliens but thankfully I'm still alive and uninjured, for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or