Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:29 AM

219 posts, read 425,244 times

Advertisements

Hi! I felt that this would be a great place to conduct a survey about illegal immigration. I have read some of the posts on this website and see that everyone pretty much speaks their mind and I like that. So, if you would please participate in this survey I would really appreciate it. I am doing a paper on Illegal Immigration and I chose to do a survey rather than an interview. I would like to hear your answers. Please answer as many of these questions as honestly as you can. I hope to gain a real understanding of others and their feelings toward illegal immigration. Thank you in advance for your help! BTW I am supposed to ask 10 questions if you wouldn't mind please respond to all 10 IF you can.

1) What city and state do you live?

2) Do you think illegal immigration is a serious issue?

3) Do you feel illegal immigration is helping or hurting our economy? How?

4) Do you feel our government is handling this issue correctly/fairly? How is it doing well and how is it not?

5) Do you have any personal experiences that you would like to share on this topic?

6) What do you think the future will be like if things do or do not change regarding this issue?

7) What are the most serious issues regarding illegal immigration in your area?

8) Do you have any suggestions/solutions to help with illegal immigration?

9) What is the difference between the immigrants we see today and the immigrants from the 1900's?

10) (last one!) If you could tell the President of the United States one thing about illegal immigration what would you say?

Thank you to all of you who participated, I look forward to reading your answers and thanks for helping me with my research paper.

Last edited by AnnaGrrrrrl; 06-02-2008 at 09:45 AM..

Old 06-02-2008, 10:13 AM

769 posts, read 2,232,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGrrrrrl View Post
Hi! I felt that this would be a great place to conduct a survey about illegal immigration. I have read some of the posts on this website and see that everyone pretty much speaks their mind and I like that. So, if you would please participate in this survey I would really appreciate it. I am doing a paper on Illegal Immigration and I chose to do a survey rather than an interview. I would like to hear your answers. Please answer as many of these questions as honestly as you can. I hope to gain a real understanding of others and their feelings toward illegal immigration. Thank you in advance for your help! BTW I am supposed to ask 10 questions if you wouldn't mind please respond to all 10 IF you can.

4) Do you feel our government is handling this issue correctly/fairly? How is it doing well and how is it not?

5) Do you have any personal experiences that you would like to share on this topic?

6) What do you think the future will be like if things do or do not change regarding this issue?

9) What is the difference between the immigrants we see today and the immigrants from the 1900's?

10) (last one!) If you could tell the President of the United States one thing about illegal immigration what would you say?

Thank you to all of you who participated, I look forward to reading your answers and thanks for helping me with my research paper.
1. Minneapolis, MN

2. Ys, it is a serious issue.

3. It is hurting our economy. Wages are being kept low to give incentives for illegal immigrants to work here. It is also causing personal tensions, language barriers, problems on the economy to accomodate the illegal immigrants, and a whole messload of things.

4. The government is not handling it fairly. Very few states are enacting the just law that states employers who knowingly hire illegals face prosecution.

5. I have many personal experiences but I'll share just one example. I've met immigrants who came here legally from Somalia, Russia, Laos, etc. and within a year start trying their hardest to interact with American people and learning the languages and customs. I've met immigrants from south-of-the-border (didn't know they were illegal at the time), and they'd already been here years but never tried to integrate with Americans and worked low-paying jobs for years (janitors, bussers, fast food, etc.) and knew very little English and stayed away from the American population through disdain and a fear of being found out. Recently, within the past year, they've left their jobs because they have been found out. The legal immigrants have no fear of being find out by immigration officials, interact with other people more, and have greater chances of economic mobility.

6. It will take the U.S. government and the governments of Latin America to try to stop this issue to make it better. Unfortunately, they seem to be coddling the immigrants more than reprimanding them.

7. In my area, many jobs are going to illegal immigrants, but amc670 says I am just being bitter and blaming my economic misfortunes on illegals, who he thinks are scapegoats for U.S. economy issues. In areas where I'd like to live in there is more violence, tension, once again loss of jobs, and take-over. By take-over I mean the places have more Spanish than English. I do not have a problem with bilingualism, I like Spanish, I am trying to learn it. But the matter is a one-way street. Many hispanics are just keeping Spanish present and kicking out English. If not only that, many hispanic businesses I went to seemed hostile because I didn't speak the language well; or because I was not hispanic.

8. The illegal immigrants need more national pride. No, waving another countries flag in someone else's country is not national pride. National pride is wanting to stick to your country through good times and bad times. Brazilians have the worst economic disparity in the world. But I've went to Brazil, talked to many poor folks and found out they would not leave their country for a better chance in America. I've also met Liberians and some actually went back to their country. Yes, this surprised me phenomenonally. Liberia is a country where there isn't any electricty in the capital city!!! And yet, many Liberians I have met actually went back to their country. Just last year I met a guy who lived in Rosemount, MN, who was emigrating back to Liberia's capital Monrovia. He had a nice house in Rosemount, two cars, a motorcycle, a great job and kids who had grown up in America but he and his wife went back to Liberia after almost two decades of living in America. Liberia is worse off than when they left but they missed it over the years and went back to it. I am actually shocked because I've seen this happen among many Liberians (and some other Africans). A girl recently graduated from a high school in Robbinsdale, MN. She had been in America for five years; she was given a choice, go to a good college, or go back to Liberia. She chose to go back to Liberia. People from there love their country that much despite how poorly their economic choices are

9. The immigrants from the turn of the century were fewer, more ethnically varied, tried hard to fit in with American society--rather than stay along the margins, and wanted to become citizens, and a whole bunch of other differences, more positive than negative (a lot like the legal immigrants of today). The illegal immigrants of today try to get the benefits from American society and care more about what they can get out of America than what they can do for everyone. They are more selfish.

10. I'd say, "I dare you to live in El Paso, Texas, or any other place in Texas where illegal immigrants thrive, and act like an average joe. You will understand our differences and see what your beloved state has become, Georgie-boy."

You're welcome.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:43 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:

1. Alexandria, Virginia
2. Yes.
3. I feel it is hurting. U.S. Blue-collar workers are being shelved for illegals who send most of the $$$$ they make outside the U.S. How does that benefit our economy?
4. If you are talking federal, H&$% no!!!!!!!!!! State and local govt are beginning to decide to make their own laws b/c of the federal inaction. Our federal govt is playing politics when most of the country has made it clear it wants secured borders and no amnesty.
5. I worked a bank in a part of Alexandria filled with illegal aliens (i refuse to call illegals immigrants which would disgrace our legal immigrants). I do not speak spanish and 9 out of ten customers who came in did not want to at least ATTEMPT to go through the transactions in some form of English. Of course this wasnt all illegals but the language crisis is a big side effect of illegal immigration.
6. I feel that more of America will wake up to the threat illegal aliens pose to our country and any illegal-hugging candidate running for any office will get the finger at the polls from PO'd americans.
7. The most serious illegals issue in DC is that illegals are moving into nearly every middle-class neighborhood and refusing to speak language, keep their music down, or even show a little bit of civility. Two surburban DC counties (Frederick in MD, Prince William in VA) are putting massive laws in place to drive illegal immigrants out of their respective counties (which are driving them into the close-in surburbs like Alexandria) and the media is calling these measures anti-latino which could not be farther from the truth.
8. My suggestion is to crack down on employers who hire these illegals (via e-verify and massive fines and jail time). It is no secret that jobs are one of the biggest magnets for illegals if those magnets are gone that will help with self-deportation.
9. These illegals today feel a sense of entitlement and act like spoiled brats. Can't comment on 1900's immigrants b/c of lack of info.
10. Illegal immigration is a crisis that threatens our soverignity and civility whether you believe it or not.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:13 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,490 times
Quote:

1) Phoenix, Arizona

2) Yes, VERY serious.

3) Illegal immigration hurts our economy AND our workers. First, illegal aliens take jobs from lower income American workers by undercutting their wages. Second, they send a LARGE percentage of the money they earn out of the country, which does NOTHING to stimulate the LOCAL economy. They then band together to live 15 people in a 3 bedroom house, raising rental rates while depressing real estate values. The property taxes assessed on those rentals doesn't come CLOSE to covering the drain on the local infrastructure. (Schools, hospitals, police) There's more but I want to leave some for other responders...

4) No. The government is doing NOTHING well on this issue, they're too busy molly-coddling their corporate cronies. (Read campaign financiers)

5) My personal experiences could fill a book. I've watched my wages drop from $22/hr to $12/hr over the last 15 years(Construction) although they do seem to be rebounding a little here in AZ. I think alot of illegals left here for other states after the Employer Sanctions law was passed.

6) Bleak, VERY bleak for America. Pretty rosy for the NAU, though.

7) Add overcrowded schools to the list at #3

8) Enforce the law!!! It's been on the books for over 20 years (See IRCA) and has hardly been used. I wish I could find a used car in such condition.

9) Immigrants from the last century were coming to BE Americans. These are strictly coming to get PAID, to HELL with America.

10) "Move over, Doofus, and let me show you how it's DONE!"

Old 06-02-2008, 10:09 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
1) Houston TX - temporarily for job - Salt Lake City is Home

2) Yes, very serious

3) Hurting. Driving down wages, putting americans out of work in industries that used to be better paying and employed citizens. Also, it is a tremendous drain on social services (schooling, health care, etc)

4) Not at all. They need to enforce the laws in place with force if need be, in my opinion. This is serious business that is undermining the future well-being of this country.

5) I would like to, but have not the time right now. If I get time I'll edit this answer later.

6) Declining standard of living, a need for bigger social programs and higher taxes that accompany them, wages being driven down

7) Racial division, language barriers, draining of local health systems, resentment, crime, uninsured drivers, ID theft.

8) Yes - enforce our borders, enforce our immigration laws. How bout dump the Iraq debacle and use what money used to go there to improve these areas.

9) Assimilation, attitude, pride in america vs. pride in the country they ran from, entitlement, formerly an eagerness to build this country, now it seems more to leach off of it. I speak of illegals here. Legal immigrants I have no problem with as they respect our laws.

10) Not just to the Prez, but to the gov't as a whole: I resent and detest what you are doing to the citizens of this country. You are selling us out, and eroding away what has taken generations of legal immigrants and their descendants to build for your own political gain. You are sick, and corrupt, and we will fight back.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:03 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,669,844 times
1) What city and state do you live? New York, NY

2) Do you think illegal immigration is a serious issue? Yes

3) Do you feel illegal immigration is helping or hurting our economy? How? I feel that the current rate of immigration (which encompasses illegal immigrants) is good for the economy. Though I don't believe that there is anything inherent in illegal immigration that is good for the economy, I believe that illegal immigrants coming at their current rate are helping the economy because the demand for them exists. If this demand didn't exist, my answer would be different. That illegal immigration may push down wages in certain sectors of the economy is a consequence of allowing demand to be totally fulfilled instead of keeping supply (of workforce) very low.

4) Do you feel our government is handling this issue correctly/fairly? How is it doing well and how is it not? No, our government is not handling this issue correctly. It is currently too expensive, difficult, and time consuming for many immigrants to feasibly come to this country legally and that should be fixed. Furthermore, our government should recognize that we need more legal immigrants to be admitted every year and that by increasing the number of immigrants admitted legally, we can start working towards getting rid of the illegal immigration problem. I believe that we need to literally "start all over again," grant amnesty to anyone here now without a serious criminal record, and THEN begin to implement and enforce a more workable set of rules.

5) Do you have any personal experiences that you would like to share on this topic? Yes - I have spoken with illegal Latin American immigrants in New York, Miami, and Boston and the common theme in their concerns is that it is much too difficult, time consuming, and expensive to "play by the rules."

6) What do you think the future will be like if things do or do not change regarding this issue? I believe that illegal immigration would be much less of a problem if the concerns I stated were thoroughly addressed. If they are not, illegal immigration could continue and become a much larger problem than it currently is.

7) What are the most serious issues regarding illegal immigration in your area? Exploitation by employers and landlords who know that their employers/tenants are illegal immigrants.

8) Do you have any suggestions/solutions to help with illegal immigration? Please see above.

9) What is the difference between the immigrants we see today and the immigrants from the 1900's? Culturally, there isn't much of a difference. They are comparable in that most of 1900's immigrants and most of current immigrants are Westerners of Christian religion and substantially similar values to those held by the majority of people in this country. The principal difference is that many of the earlier immigrants - though many didn't have papers either! - were accepted as "legal" upon arrival due to their country of origin or due to perceived need of their labor in this country.

10) (last one!) If you could tell the President of the United States one thing about illegal immigration what would you say? Please see above.

Thank you to all of you who participated, I look forward to reading your answers and thanks for helping me with my research paper.[/quote]

Old 06-02-2008, 11:16 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times
1) Duncan, Oklahoma...formerly...... San Bernardino, California

2) Very serious and getting worse.

3) definitly hurty the economy. Running down wages, causing to umemployment rates to inflate in most states, receiving free social services, closing hospitals, filling jails and prisons, and demanding more.

4) Unfairly, by ignoring the US Constutional Rights, favoring illegal immigration and cheap labor. and acting as if no laws have been broken.

5) .................................................. ............................................

6) If this continues I see a future that repeats history, with divided states not united.

7) At this time, I live in one of the 2 States that have passed a new Immigration Bill. Our immigration laws are being enforced and since the law took effect, jobs are plentiful, unemployment is dropping and the will soon be back the way all states should be, FOR THE PEOPLE!

8) Re-enforce our existing laws, secure out ports and Borders, punish emlpoyers who hire cheap labor and replace all (local,state and Federal)politicians who blantantly over ride out laws, rights and Constitution.

9) .................................................. .......................................

10) Your an ignorant Mod cut, Mod cut, Mod cut, #@!*&^%@!

Old 06-03-2008, 02:33 PM

219 posts, read 425,244 times
Wow! Thank you for the great responses, I really do appreciate your honesty. I am glad to see that people do care about this issue.
Thank you, you are a great help!

Old 06-03-2008, 02:52 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,701,472 times
Quote:

Newport Beach, California

Yes

Hurting. We are becoming too reliable on the people here who have broken our laws. They are being paid wages too low, driving sown the overall economy, and making the standard of pay in certain sectors much lower. I do, however, think it has benefited most people making over $100K because illegal immigrants do work cheaply, therefore they get more money b/c of the money saved. It can be pervieved as both helpful and no, but anything done illegaly is hurting us.

No. Amnesty is not the answer, yet it is the only solution our federal government is considering. What gave these lawbreakers the right to be ahead in line while all those people who are in their home country continue to wait? That hasn't really been answered by the government. I am sick of them trying to turn a blind eye to everything. They ignore false SS#'s, drivers licesnes, calls for more raids, etc. They just sit and do nothing on this issue. "Fairly" would be if we could vote on whether to give them amnesty in an election.

I work with low income hispanics all the time, I am an architect for a low income housing company in Los Angeles. I find that the most successful immigrants are those that speak english. I would say 80% of our tenants who speak english are able to purchase their first house within 2 years of moving into our affordable projects, while a mere 5% who dont speak english will purchase a house. Unfortunately, those who speak only spanish surpass the bilinguals here.

Do not change-We will see another 10 million illegal aliens coming into our country, most going to California, Texas, Nevada, and Arizona. Those states will virtually be bankrupt if this happens though. California is on the brink right now.
Change, deportation-Our economy will go into a state of shock for about a year, but our government will be able to help with the burden of illegals off their dime. Farming prices will go up, and so will grocery prices eventually. Mexico will be bitter with us for a very long time, and I wouldnt be surprised if Mexicans thought we betrayed them and didn't come anymore as immigrants.
Change, amnesty-We will be in a financial mess, welfare, etc will drastically increase, crime will too since aliens wont fear deportation. This, if it does happen, will be the end of the Democratic party for most white Americans.

crime, the requirement of being bilingual for jobs, illegal employment, destruction of once nice areas, and OUR SCHOOLS. Its all a concern.

Deport. Enforce the laws we have. They worked for a LONG time. Reject amnesty, it will encourage more immigration. Put one agent for every half mile of border 24 hours a day along the Mexico border to discourage illegal immigration.

Immigrants have always come to escape harsh times. But todays immigrants arent humble like they used to be. They demand everything, committ more crime, aren't patriotic, and think they are holier than thou. Long ago, they were so appreciative, and came of the ships waving an American flag. Its hard to see that with todays immigrants (mostly illegal ones).

President Bush-Your a Republican. Represent those who voted for you instead of despising them. PS, I would also like to move the white house to South LA for a few years when Mccain/Obama get elected. Maybe their views would change if they were seeing what we do.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:14 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,631,821 times
Quote:

10) Hey, jorge, I voted for you, but Kerry couldn't have been any worse than you have been. Illegal immigration quadrupled under your inept regime, while you were letting your corporate sponsors get the hordes of so called cheap subsidized illegal labor that they demanded, so that would make you the one single person most responsible for the illegal Mexican tsunami we have experienced under you. You clearly are guilty of massive malfeasance in office, are the most unpopular President in modern history and most of us are just waiting unpatiently for your ass to finally leave office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration