Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 06:39 AM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
There is a long history of using immigrants in our military. Check back to Civil war as the Irish were bought off for $300.00 as they stepped off the boats in NYC and Savannah.

The rich have been paying to have the poor serve in their wars for centuries.
True but they were "legal" immigrants. Currently, there is a law that illegal aliens can't serve in our military. I guess Obama has decided to bypass that law also. We have no shortage of Americans wanting to enlist in our military. In fact we are cutting back on enlistees so I find this very troubling that he would offer that opportunity to foreigners here illegally whom many hold no allegiance to this country but to the homeland they left instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 07:12 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,211,161 times
I do not think that that the Military is cutting back on enlistees. No numbers, but judging on the amount they are advertising, they are looking hard for enlistees.
Our history shows that people are willing to fight and protect this nation even though they are illegals. You see this is a great country to live and raise a family in.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
I do not think that that the Military is cutting back on enlistees. No numbers, but judging on the amount they are advertising, they are looking hard for enlistees.
Our history shows that people are willing to fight and protect this nation even though they are illegals. You see this is a great country to live and raise a family in.
You'd be wrong then. It's not that illegals are willing to fight and protect our nation. It is just a means to be able to remain in this country. Joining the military does not mean one will be put in harm's way either.

80% of Military Recruitments Turned Down | Military.com

Old 09-27-2014, 07:45 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
True but they were "legal" immigrants. Currently, there is a law that illegal aliens can't serve in our military. I guess Obama has decided to bypass that law also. We have no shortage of Americans wanting to enlist in our military. In fact we are cutting back on enlistees so I find this very troubling that he would offer that opportunity to foreigners here illegally whom many hold no allegiance to this country but to the homeland they left instead.
No, they weren't.
Illegals could serve in the military up until some time in the 1950s. My grandfather got his citizenship by jumping the border illegally and enlisting in the US military at age 17. When his commander at Guadalcanal figured out he was not a citizen, he gave him field citizenship so he could die a citizen.
This was very common and routine back then. If you wanted citizenship, you crossed illegally and enlisted (particularly during World War II when it also provided Mexican nationals an opportunity to fight the Axis that was not readily available to them through the Mexican armies).

Old 09-27-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
No, they weren't.
Illegals could serve in the military up until some time in the 1950s. My grandfather got his citizenship by jumping the border illegally and enlisting in the US military at age 17. When his commander at Guadalcanal figured out he was not a citizen, he gave him field citizenship so he could die a citizen.
This was very common and routine back then. If you wanted citizenship, you crossed illegally and enlisted (particularly during World War II when it also provided Mexican nationals an opportunity to fight the Axis that was not readily available to them through the Mexican armies).
Perhaps you could provide a link to your claims? Even if that were true it has nothing to do with our policies today. Obama has decided to ignore the law on military enlistments on the books.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:33 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,211,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You'd be wrong then. It's not that illegals are willing to fight and protect our nation. It is just a means to be able to remain in this country. Joining the military does not mean one will be put in harm's way either.

80% of Military Recruitments Turned Down | Military.com
Good article, it seems that large numbers of people showing up are not qualified or obese. So I can see the need to look at illegals as an option, when the best and brightest are looking elsewhere.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:48 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Good article, it seems that large numbers of people showing up are not qualified or obese. So I can see the need to look at illegals as an option, when the best and brightest are looking elsewhere.
In this bad economy I DON'T believe we need their kind to do anything except leave the US and go HOME. Especially having ILLEGAL aliens as soldiers.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
If you read the article in its entirety it didn't state that there is a shortage of American citizens or legal immigrants to fill spots in our military even though 80% are turned down. It also stated that the military is downsizing. There is no reason to believe that we need illegal aliens in our military.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:17 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
What's the problem?

We can use these guys as an American Foreign Legion to avoid having to send American boys and girls to die in some 3rd world cesspool. If they survive a 6 year enlistment they can get US citizenship.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
they have been recruiting on the border for years this is not new. if you go to pendleton entry gate those guys standing with the m16's barely speak english. when your 35 year old skate board wonder stayed at home with mama, who did you think was defending the country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration