U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 06:01 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Almost 1/4 of the US military (north/union) that was fighting sovereign southern states by 1864 was comprised of immigrants (many who did not speak English) from countries such as Germany, Norway, Ireland, etc.

They were given uniforms, guns, barely trained and sent south. Grant used them primarily towards the end of the war in a strategy to continue throwing waves of bodies into battles against the south in an attempt to wear the confederacy down since the southern states were already outnumbered.

The only reason the US is not split today into two different nations is because immigrants were used by the North during the War of Southern Independence.
Uh; by the end of the Civil War, the South was pretty much up a creek. The North had many more factories, rail roads and so on. Tho it might've taken longer but, the South would've still lost IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 06:11 PM

31,495 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
Almost 1/4 of the US military (north/union) that was fighting sovereign southern states by 1864 was comprised of immigrants (many who did not speak English) from countries such as Germany, Norway, Ireland, etc.

They were given uniforms, guns, barely trained and sent south. Grant used them primarily towards the end of the war in a strategy to continue throwing waves of bodies into battles against the south in an attempt to wear the confederacy down since the southern states were already outnumbered.

The only reason the US is not split today into two different nations is because immigrants were used by the North during the War of Southern Independence.
1864? We are no longer a nation of immigrants today but a nation of Americans. Our citizen population way outnumbers our immigrant population and we certainly shouldn't be allowing illegal aliens into our military.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:54 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Well, I disagree with you. I know many young adults who are looking for a job. Most middle aged adults (I don't consider that age a kid) aren't living with mommy either. I know many young adults who have joined our military also. It's as though one is trying to justify enlisting illegal aliens in our military by demonizing our American youth. If there are any illegals serving in our military they have done so under fraudulent means. No one will convince me that we need foreigners in our military especially during peace time.
I don't understand your post
over 70% of young people could not pass the physical for military and many could not pass the military version of ged
Times have changed
I don't need to demonize anybody but what I am not doing is looking at the past and thinking it's the present
Yes we have many American citizens that go into the military but many of those have strong ties to Mexico

Old 09-29-2014, 11:19 PM

3,886 posts, read 5,995,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Yes we have many American citizens that go into the military but many of those have strong ties to Mexico
That kind of worries me.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:14 AM

31,495 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
over 70% of young people could not pass the physical for military and many could not pass the military version of ged
Times have changed
I don't need to demonize anybody but what I am not doing is looking at the past and thinking it's the present
But where are the stats that state that our military isn't making its quota with the 30% that do qualify? In fact our military is downsizing. If stating that 35 year olds are still living with mommy and not making an attempt to get a job or never tried to enlist in our military isn't demonizing Americans then I don't know what is.

I don't have a problem with Americans from Mexican roots serving in our military. After all, they are citizens of this country. The topic is about "illegals" enlisting in our military.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:14 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Quote:

Immigrants or illegal immigrants? A mercenary army has no loyalty to anything but self interest. This forum is in regard to illegal immigrants.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Times have changed
Military recruitment quotas are being satisfied and easily. Please show that we need to recruit from illegals to maintain readiness levels. Why are we offering early outs and early retirements? We have no need to invite illegals to serve other than for Obama and company to appease the illegal supporters and one very specific voting group.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:32 AM

4,677 posts, read 4,592,036 times
Think of this a different way though. Most illegals from Mexico cannot legally immigrate to the United States. If you do not have a close relative who is a citizen, you are never going to be able to legally immigrate under current rules. This would provide a path to immigration for Mexican nationals who want to become US citizens, and it would be a path that requires them to learn English, assimilate, and immediately contribute to our country. That is far better than the only other path to citizenship right now, which is to reside illegally in the United States and hope for another amnesty.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Think of this a different way though. Most illegals from Mexico cannot legally immigrate to the United States. If you do not have a close relative who is a citizen, you are never going to be able to legally immigrate under current rules. This would provide a path to immigration for Mexican nationals who want to become US citizens, and it would be a path that requires them to learn English, assimilate, and immediately contribute to our country. That is far better than the only other path to citizenship right now, which is to reside illegally in the United States and hope for another amnesty.
And yet the majority of all legal immigrants are from MEXICO. What Mexican nationals want and what is best for this nation are not one and the same thing. Not only not the same thing, but really not a concern of ours. What a home invaders wants in your home has no bearing on right or wrong for them to simply enter uninvited. Residing here illegally need not be a path. Mandatory E-Verify along with penalties with teeth for all employers caught violating the law would go far to make it difficult for illegals.
Offering a free pass for crimes that no legal citizen can expect a free pass for isn't an answer. How many farmers lost their farms for not paying their taxes? How many citizens have been sent to prison for fraud?
Ever read the consequences for a legal immigrant caught working without a authorization? Caught committing document fraud? DUI? Driving without a license?
Why would we grant illegals a fast track when people who have obeyed our requirements wait 7 plus years just to get a VISA?
I'm sorry but in no scenario does it make sense to reward unwanted behavior.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:31 AM

7,497 posts, read 9,277,699 times
Oh that's great news, now we'll have to take crap from ISIS and MS-13 together. And they'll have our military weapons!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or